Welcome aboard Visitor...

Daily Screenshot

Server Costs Target


Target met!

Latest Topics

- Holly Cow Its alive!! »
- Suggestions »
- Kluth AI Spawn Balance. »
- ICC PD »
- Re: Ich verabschiede mich »
- Make DarkSpace Great Again »
- 1.730 »
- Never forgot »
- 'Turbo DS' anyone? »
- Was geht ab ? »

Development Blog

- Roadmap »
- Hello strangers, it’s been a while... »
- State of DarkSpace Development »
- Potential planetary interdictor changes! »
- The Silent Cartographer »
- Cloaking update... »
- Tools for tips »
- Fleet levels and more! »
- Game Mechanics Question and Answer Thread »
- Under Construction »

Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
Kills chart
Killboard

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
10/20/18 +11.8 Hours
- Towel Day
05/25/19 +216.8 Days
- International Talk like a Pirate Day!
09/19/19 +333.8 Days

Search

 

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Facebook & Twitter

Why not follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Things Dark Space needs to Address
 Author Things Dark Space needs to Address
$harp$hooter*M*
Marshal

Joined: April 20, 2006
Posts: 42
From: Massachusetts
Posted: 2017-07-06 16:44   
After a short Haiatus I have returned, its been a long time coming. I loved this game, I still do. However I have noticed alot of shortcomings.

One of the biggest things nowadays is the lack of people and advertisement. If Faustus or any devs maybe get some advertising on Steam, the player base will return or get bigger. However I am unsure if this costs money.

This lack of people is causing the main prestige gain of the game to fail, Which is Combat, and on the flip side Support. These are the two quickest ways to gain prestige. However No players=No combat and support.

The AI spawn needs to be tweaked badly. Sitting in the server capping a planet ( which takes WAY TO FREAKING LONG now literally takes 15-30 mins or longer) only to have a SPAM of 4 AI transports drop 40 infantry on the planet and then keep coming back, Especially when alone. Angers me to no end since the planet will be re capped. Now What i think, the AI needs more combat ships for each faction. ICC spawn rate is not to bad. UGTO is poor, K'luth is almost non-existent.

The last time i logged in, the Marshal and Chief Marshal Rank were added. I was alright with it, kind of excited to see NEW ships and stations and Dreads to be added... NOT to have the ships that i worked and grinded my ass off to achieve, such as the Command Station/SCB/Colony, EAD and other ships be taken from me and moved to Marshal and CHief Marshal Rank ( This really pissed me off)

The prestiege gain nowadays is almost non existent. For example, Today alone i spent 6 hours or so. And i only gained 2% towards Marshal. ( from 28% to 30%) From a mix of combat, building, bombing capping and repairing. I personally think the prestiege gain should be tripled from now on. Until more players come back. OR Return the Origanlly grand Admiral Ships to Grand Admiral. And Keep the new Marshal and such Crusiers and Dreads at the said rank. For something to grind for. Maybe add new stations as well and such.

The Factions needs more balancing. The ICC are now super over powered. The Kluth are so weak you cant play them anymore unless your a Fleet admiral or higher, ( flying Dreads or stations)Even then its almost a death wish. UGTO is balanced to a point. But nothing stands up to the ICC Marshal Strike Cruiser. Its way to overpowered. From Armament to Electronic Warefare.

As for the last thing on my mind I think with the small amount of people that play. Change the MV back to Single system scenerio. so the map is constantly changing, and there will always be something to do.

The MV is now a 3 system scenerio. where the Luth are Non Existent. and UGTO players are few like on average 1 or 2 players a day. and ICC averages 5 or more.

Every planet in the MV is fully built. So new engineers have nothing to build. and with the Massive AI tranny spawn there is no chance to properly bomb/cap/build planets anymore.

These are just a few thoughts. I know a couple of people heavily agree with me on these points.
_________________


  Email $harp$hooter*M*
*Flash*
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*


Joined: April 19, 2009
Posts: 283
From: Semi retired after 1.67 !
Posted: 2017-07-07 15:40   
I totally agree with you!!!
_________________

In space , no one can hear you scream!


  Email *Flash*
Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Joined: May 24, 2010
Posts: 237
Posted: 2017-07-07 23:34   
Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
After a short Haiatus I have returned, its been a long time coming. I loved this game, I still do. However I have noticed alot of shortcomings.



Welcome back!

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
One of the biggest things nowadays is the lack of people and advertisement. If Faustus or any devs maybe get some advertising on Steam, the player base will return or get bigger. However I am unsure if this costs money.

This lack of people is causing the main prestige gain of the game to fail, Which is Combat, and on the flip side Support. These are the two quickest ways to gain prestige. However No players=No combat and support.



Even if we had more players we have no devs. I can't speak for them since I'm not one but I think that's their explanation. It's been a while since I talked to them about it though.

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
The AI spawn needs to be tweaked badly. Sitting in the server capping a planet ( which takes WAY TO FREAKING LONG now literally takes 15-30 mins or longer) only to have a SPAM of 4 AI transports drop 40 infantry on the planet and then keep coming back, Especially when alone. Angers me to no end since the planet will be re capped. Now What i think, the AI needs more combat ships for each faction. ICC spawn rate is not to bad. UGTO is poor, K'luth is almost non-existent.



There used to be more combat AI spawns. People complained. There are less spawns now. People complain. I personally think this is probably the best compromise right now. As for the transports, well, I'll give you that. They're a big reason I don't play much right now.

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
The last time i logged in, the Marshal and Chief Marshal Rank were added. I was alright with it, kind of excited to see NEW ships and stations and Dreads to be added... NOT to have the ships that i worked and grinded my ass off to achieve, such as the Command Station/SCB/Colony, EAD and other ships be taken from me and moved to Marshal and CHief Marshal Rank ( This really pissed me off)



To be frank, the EAD you grinded for and the EAD you can't access are not the same ship. I know it's frustrating because that ship is locked out of your access in the garage, and I'm sure they would've put in a grandfather clause if they had the dev time, but the problem is they just don't.

Instead of being upset about the EAD, try out all the other ships the UEF has to offer. The way the balance works means that the EAD trades armor for those lasers, so you may find that it's not actually the best ship for you.

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
The prestiege gain nowadays is almost non existent. For example, Today alone i spent 6 hours or so. And i only gained 2% towards Marshal. ( from 28% to 30%) From a mix of combat, building, bombing capping and repairing. I personally think the prestiege gain should be tripled from now on. Until more players come back. OR Return the Origanlly grand Admiral Ships to Grand Admiral. And Keep the new Marshal and such Crusiers and Dreads at the said rank. For something to grind for. Maybe add new stations as well and such.



I extremely beg to differ. Making prestige is very easy, and I have even made alt accounts and reground up my rank to prove this. Yes, this included the relative lack of combat and also grinding all of the badges. I made it to Marshal in about a month, which to me seems too fast, even.

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
The Factions needs more balancing. The ICC are now super over powered. The Kluth are so weak you cant play them anymore unless your a Fleet admiral or higher, ( flying Dreads or stations)Even then its almost a death wish. UGTO is balanced to a point. But nothing stands up to the ICC Marshal Strike Cruiser. Its way to overpowered. From Armament to Electronic Warefare.



I'll give you the strike cruiser. With the elimination of interdictor cruisers I find it very unfun to play against. However, you'll find most ICC players believe THEY are the weakest faction, rather than the strongest (which I do agree with). At the same time, I think the balance is mostly very reasonable. The only ships I think are imbalanced are the strike cruiser (mentioned before), the line station (it has too much regen due to the regen buffs), and the nest (which I think is totally useless because of its debilitatingly small range).

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
As for the last thing on my mind I think with the small amount of people that play. Change the MV back to Single system scenerio. so the map is constantly changing, and there will always be something to do.

The MV is now a 3 system scenerio. where the Luth are Non Existent. and UGTO players are few like on average 1 or 2 players a day. and ICC averages 5 or more.



The metaverse map does change. It's just like the scenario, it's just that the game time is much longer than the "scenario" maps were. If you capture all the flag planets the map will change, and if the timer runs out the map will change.

The problem with reinstating a single system metaverse is that it basically completely removes chokepoints (aka system gates) which makes it extremely difficult to defend against attackers. Usually one faction ends up easily taking over a system in the current MV, and in the single map scenario that would just repeat over and over. It would largely remove the fun of building planets for many people because of how temporary the planets would be. I personally enjoy building in a scenario type style, but most people don't.

The only reason the single system scenario worked is because of the lack of permanent ships, and players will VERY HEAVILY complain if they force you to remake your ship (obviously stripping the enhancements off) every round. Forcing ships to spawn from a shipyard kind of works, but it only takes maybe 15-20 minutes and then all hell will break loose.

Quote:
On 2017-07-06 16:44, $harp$hooter*GA* wrote:
Every planet in the MV is fully built. So new engineers have nothing to build. and with the Massive AI tranny spawn there is no chance to properly bomb/cap/build planets anymore.

These are just a few thoughts. I know a couple of people heavily agree with me on these points.



The solution to this problem is bombing smartly instead of trying to use brute force. Grab a bomber cruiser or destroyer and fit it out with stealth armor/shields (yes, those exist) and simply stealth bomb the planet. Big obvious bombers (like the bomber dreads) are for fleet operations where you will be able to defend against frustrating invaders. And yes, I know the trannies will shoot your bombs down, but that's the price you pay for the big bomber - that's balance for you.

A related solution - if you're solo capping and find that trannies just kill all your troops, use this to your advantage instead of just letting them defeat you. Get an engineer and build PD platforms to shoot down their transports. Make stealth platforms to conceal them as necessary. You still won't be able to capture that planet because of their capture weight but you can then go off and easily capture a different planet while the trannies are terminally distracted trying to kill your troops.



[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2017-07-07 23:36 ]
_________________
I be rebuilding your planets!

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights


Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 2039
From: Michigan
Posted: 2017-07-09 02:53   
Strike Cruiser is a joke to Destroyers, it's weapons are front heavy so it has piss-poor side and rear coverage. Outmaneuver it and suddenly it's not so OP at all.
_________________
Adapt or die.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Joined: May 24, 2010
Posts: 237
Posted: 2017-07-09 03:19   
Quote:
On 2017-07-09 02:53, Talien wrote:
Strike Cruiser is a joke to Destroyers, it's weapons are front heavy so it has piss-poor side and rear coverage. Outmaneuver it and suddenly it's not so OP at all.



You expect anyone in a non-fully maxxed out destroyer to manage that? Please. I've tried, they just stop moving and pivot on the spot. If you set a trap and jump them with a dread they just ejump then immediately turn around and kill the dread while the destroyer uselessly attempts to deter them.

Like I said, if interdictor cruisers were still in the game that wouldn't be possible, or maybe even the planet dictors, but alas...

And before you even mention bringing out assault type cruisers, I'll point out I tried that too. The SC won all duels except against the tercio or against ships flown with exceptional relative skill. Being a kluth player having the solution to the SC be the tercio is not very helpful.

I'd love to test this out to make sure I'm not spewing crap, but if I recall you don't have the ability to play right now?
[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2017-07-09 03:41 ]
_________________
I be rebuilding your planets!

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights


Joined: May 11, 2010
Posts: 2039
From: Michigan
Posted: 2017-07-09 16:13   
Quote:
On 2017-07-09 03:19, Incinarator wrote:
Quote:
On 2017-07-09 02:53, Talien wrote:
Strike Cruiser is a joke to Destroyers, it's weapons are front heavy so it has piss-poor side and rear coverage. Outmaneuver it and suddenly it's not so OP at all.



You expect anyone in a non-fully maxxed out destroyer to manage that? Please. I've tried, they just stop moving and pivot on the spot. If you set a trap and jump them with a dread they just ejump then immediately turn around and kill the dread while the destroyer uselessly attempts to deter them.

Like I said, if interdictor cruisers were still in the game that wouldn't be possible, or maybe even the planet dictors, but alas...

And before you even mention bringing out assault type cruisers, I'll point out I tried that too. The SC won all duels except against the tercio or against ships flown with exceptional relative skill. Being a kluth player having the solution to the SC be the tercio is not very helpful.

I'd love to test this out to make sure I'm not spewing crap, but if I recall you don't have the ability to play right now?
<font class=small_text>[ This Message was edited by: Incinarator on 2017-07-09 03:41 ]</font>




Actually I fought off a SC plus 2 Combat Dreads using a Gunboat with whatever enh I got as drops so I know it's possible. As far as luth I can't say much as I never tried them after the cloak rework.

I finally have internet at home but it's not exactly optimized for gaming, we could try setting up a day/time to meet in beta but not sure how well it would work.
_________________
Adapt or die.

Slithis
Chief Marshal

Joined: October 21, 2002
Posts: 24
From: Da Dunt
Posted: 2017-11-20 06:02   
Even if new players do come, they wont last long since the only players are the old ones that cant seem to lose the love of the game. New peoples come in and constantly get farmed and can never gain enough Pres to gain ranks. Or log on and its 5 to 1 or worse. Even us long timers get bored of that senario. So to make this game more active? Probably a major revamp or the like. Until then, if your a low rank? Pew pew pew and run run run.
_________________


Lathander
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy


Chatting in 'DarkSpace English'

Joined: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2576
Posted: 2017-11-22 09:19   
Quote:
On 2017-11-20 06:02, Slithis wrote:
Even if new players do come, they wont last long since the only players are the old ones that cant seem to lose the love of the game. New peoples come in and constantly get farmed and can never gain enough Pres to gain ranks. Or log on and its 5 to 1 or worse. Even us long timers get bored of that senario. So to make this game more active? Probably a major revamp or the like. Until then, if your a low rank? Pew pew pew and run run run.



Obviously the solution is to let people roll for ship unlocks through lootboxes.
_________________


Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners


Joined: March 16, 2003
Posts: 1329
Posted: 2017-11-22 11:25   
Quote:
On 2017-11-22 09:19, Enterprise wrote:
Obviously the solution is to let people roll for ship unlocks through lootboxes.



For just $9.99 you can have a sense of pride and accomplishment while you have a chance at recieving one of ten exclusive runtime errors!
_________________


Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron


Joined: June 12, 2010
Posts: 175
From: home planet: Exathra
Posted: 2017-11-22 14:14   
do't even bring up lockboxes, star trek online has them and they make me sick............now if you were to say make the ships a purchase-able unlock and remove the badge requirements then i might listen about that.............
_________________
1st recorded subscription activation 8-17-01 (under a different name & email)
17 years of playing this mo'-fo....amazing isn't it ?
119 on prestige list..
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

  Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Lathander
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy


Chatting in 'DarkSpace English'

Joined: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2576
Posted: 2017-11-23 07:59   
Quote:
On 2017-11-22 14:14, Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM* wrote:
now if you were to say make the ships a purchase-able unlock and remove the badge requirements then i might listen about that.............




Probably by definition if you bought a ship you'd be able to fly it regardless of requirements. Its not really like it'd be the worst thing in the world anyways, since you can't buy the ability to fly it well.
_________________


Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Marshal
Fatal Squadron


Joined: June 12, 2010
Posts: 175
From: home planet: Exathra
Posted: 2017-11-30 18:07   
who cares if they can fly them well, they just want the ability to pull them out and show them off , right ??
_________________
1st recorded subscription activation 8-17-01 (under a different name & email)
17 years of playing this mo'-fo....amazing isn't it ?
119 on prestige list..
R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

  Email Fatal Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)*COM*
Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black


Joined: August 02, 2005
Posts: 431
From: Eleventh galaxy on the right!
Posted: 2017-12-11 05:02   
Removal of GCQL from Darkspace, who needs a social media chat program to start a game. Recomplile Darkspace to launch on its own, submit it as early access to Steam, I even be happy to pay $10-$20 to buy the game. Bring it back to V1.5 which while some may agree was the AI farming prestige version it brought it more players into the game of any other version i remember, I have alot of fond memories of .483/V1.5

Setup a Darkspace Discord channel (if there is not already), that can be the social meeting point along with voice channel for squadrons/clans to join.
_________________
Retired K'luth Combateer


Eledore Massis [R33]
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights


Chatting in 'DarkSpace English'

Joined: May 26, 2002
Posts: 2684
From: tsohlacoLocalhost
Posted: 2017-12-11 21:19   
Quote:
On 2017-12-11 05:02, Pegasus wrote:
Removal of GCQL from Darkspace,

IT is a lovely idea, but unfortunately at the moment the entire server backed is GCQ. We would have to rewrite that part.
We could technically cut of the end and run a single scenario server, but we would cut off our own player-database as well. (everyone starts at midshipman again at every re-join).

Ideally we would want our existing players to bind to a Steam Account and then have them launch trough Steam.
New players need to able to create a new GCQ account and just have fun.
Would need some sort of ingame lobby system incase we do Want more then just One Metaverse.. (Scenario servers anyone?(Destroyer alley))..

The Code, The Code, The db-edits, the ............. <headace>
_________________


AlecciaRosewater
2nd Rear Admiral

Joined: December 13, 2017
Posts: 6
Posted: 2017-12-14 02:39   
The only major thing that exists to be addressed is the toxicity I have seen so far and literally nothing else.

Can any of you name one game where every action dynamically affects the playing field? I can name one, and you are browsing the forums for it right now. While everyone else is suffering through a second great video game crash, you guys are enjoying a galaxy run by players for players; where interaction is everything and spaceships are divided up into roles so that people have to actually interact with each other as if this was a multiplayer game instead of a singleplayer solofest with a chatroom.

Unfortunately, if you clowns are going to simply whine about what once was and accuse newcomers of being cheating spies for another faction then I am not sure why I should actually stick around. Are new arrivals seriously that implausable that people assume otherwise the moment they see an unfamiliar username? Surely the accusation of such was an isolated incident, and is not indicative of everyone in general, and I don't actually have to spend the entire day in self-imposed exile?

If one is willing to overlook a few flaws then there are experiences to be had here that one would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. Every other company is either focused on making the markey crash harder or are hamstrung by a lack of budget to do anything remotely like what is to be found here. Toxicity however has a way of ruining everything, and the forums being filled with nothing but complaints about minor things does not do much to convince me to stay~
_________________


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Page created in 0.045002 seconds.


Copyright © 2000 - 2018 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR