- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +3.1 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +9.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - TheMadDoctor1991

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » I may be removing ship modding...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
 Author I may be removing ship modding...
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2005-07-21 16:25   
All I ask is for some consideration to full mount torp ships again =P AC/TC <3 =)

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Trekkie_zero
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 16:43   
I personally have aggree with Faustus on most of his things but removing modding all together I dont think is wise. Personally I think doing something like what Charz suggested an interface inside the SY, but we could do that minus the modding just have multiple variations per class or make your own variations within the SY or outside in the lobby.

Personally part of the reason I love this game is the modding, to me I like thinking outside the box, and making ships to suit a certain purpose in combat or outside of combat.

It does create problems with balance especially since a player can mod against certain weapons and mod to counter certain armors and enemy ships, I personally think removing modding altogether, we should limit it however.

A variation for the classes in the SY would be kinda cool like we have the Hvy cruiser, and variant A, variant B, variant C and each has different grades of guns, and armor and has a slightly different purpose then the other. A player could make their own variants but theyd have some limits, maybe have to deal with mass of the ship, heavier armor the more mass the ship uses up and the more damage they can take but the ship uses up more mass, shields dont use up as much mass but they do take it up. The size of the slot they have to work with which would limit the lvl of the weapons and equipment better engines faster acceleration, better ability to deal with mass but marginal increase in that. Increase of mass could lower agility and what not, kinda like armor suppossedly lowers your agility.

Something like that concept sorta could seriously limit modding and if we could only do it in the SY, make the variations yourself outside the the game like in the lobby or in a special program that uploads to the game when you log on. But modding would still have a valuable tool but not seriously overpowered. The modding also would have disadvantages like you lost top speed if you go over your mass limit stuff like that.

*Peanut*
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 16:47   
cant we atleast still upgrade stuff ?

Email *Peanut*
zendrix
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 17:25   
I don't post a lot, but i definitely have to comment on this.

Faustus, i think the ideas you have for removing the ship modding is a great idea. I loved playing DS because you weren't really struggling to level and gain resources, mine and etc. As someone said earlier, you just spawn and fight. IMO, that was what really seperated Darkspace from many other games.

I don't see a sense in modding and gaining credits to mod. The fun part is all in the fighting. Sure modding gives you some sense of achievement but isn't the feeling of being able to destroy one's ship the best? And if implementing your ideas can reduce some lag, all the better.

Also, this helps the scenario servers a lot as many scenarios have planets without good materials, and it takes a really long time with people fighting over getting a ship out.

I just really liked the older days of DS. Darkspace should remain focused on action and not the micromanagement of everything else around it. Maybe instead of modding, have more variations of ships like what was done with the stations.

As of now, if you were ICC and you could get the Assault Dread, you'd get it. It was more or less a no brainer. Maybe if more variations of the AD were there, it would actually make gameplay more interesting.

Also, I agree on just grouping fleet members and not free grouping. Since I think there should be more emphasis on being on a fleet than freelancing. (Removes some problems like faction jumping to some extent)

Heh, I'm sorry if a lot of my words don't make sense cause it's hard to put them into good sentences. But in summary:

Idea of spawn and Fight
No more modding
More ship types and ship variations instead
Focus on action
Fleet grouping

Thanks for taking the time to read my opinions ^^

Email zendrix   Goto the website of zendrix
-Smokey-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 17:26   
we should b able to mod ships, people can still use stock ships so y take modding away if some prefer to mod because with the modding system it aint same ships all the time there are soo many dif posible layouts maeking every alpha a surprise, and making every ship different making it a unique game.

[ This Message was edited by: Banana Boat on 2005-07-21 17:27 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2005-07-21 17:35   
A lot of the work that has been put into this version has made DarkSpace stronger than ever. Keeping in mind the need to simplify certain aspects, BackSlash and I spent a few hours going through the various options and came up with the following suggestions for the future of DS:-

1) Modding

Dont remove modding. Without modding, there is no individualization of the ships. People need to feel its their ship as once you hit max rank you need some form of interest. Even if you dont hit the maximum rank, there needs to be something inbetween to keep you going and to help occupy your time.
This form of customisation is a staple principle of all pay to play games. People also have different play styles. Removing modding is restricting them, and they will not like being forced to play with something that they don't feel the have any influence over or are accustomed to. It may make the game feel more arcadish, but there is nothing to promote keeping the playerbase interested. P2P games NEED some form of treadmill to keep players interested. Gaining credits for modding IS one form of that treadmill. The trick is getting this balanced correctly with ease of play. The rank and badge system is another form of this treadmill that does not need changing.

Modding has always been a good selling point for the game. Removing modding, removes the point in needing credits. And thus removes that extra bit of longterm interest.
Getting rid of the current level system would make things a lot easier to balance as you would be dealing with a much smaller range of variables. Remove the levels and keep the 1.483 weapons and slots.

1a) New modding system:-

The current system for modding is clumsy and not easy to understand for new players. We have come up with a more intuitive method for managing this.

Instead of the current system where factories build items, and starports hold them, we have come up with the following idea:-

Factories, would no longer build items in the current sense. So there would be no extra nouns clogging up the DB. They would instead give players an option for replacing their components from a set list. So a stockpile would no longer be required.

This is how it would work:-

I orbit a planet with tech 45. When I right click on my device a list of components comes up. I cannot install an EMP Cannon because it requires tech 65 and the planet doesnt have sufficient technology. I chose the Particle Cannon instead. The credits are deducted from my account, and my old component gets removed and sold to the starport. The planet also losses and amount of resource from its stockpile depending on the requirement for the item you 'manufactured'. The device you sold would then dissappear from existence, saving lots of troublesome DB tracking. You would no longer be able to buy devices at starports. The starports would purely be used for trading food, and resources(s).

PLANETS UNDER BLOCKADE CANNOT REFIT ITEMS. This stops any possible abuse by players and swapping out components on a whim.

You could still salvage items from destroyed ships, and install them as you are currently able to. Or again you could sell them to a starport where the device would again dissappear.

1b) Armour and Shields:-

Because we have removed the level system, armor and shields would be much easier to balance. Each section would give you a set amount of HP modified by hull size. We could still keep the different armor and shield types.

2) Planets

Planets work, the resources dont. Resources cause huge stockpiles, the way its managed needs to be changed. Theres far too much being updated live on the servers. Instead, planets still have the minerals, but mines will generate a generic 'resource' based on the minerals on the planet. Rare minerals will generate more resources. Keep in mind, no minerals are actualy mined so there is only this one type to track. All structures drain an amount of resource, based on what they are. Defence bases, obviously need maintaining, and so drain resources from the planet. Every maintenance update cycle, the server scans the planet, adds all the structures resource value together, and deducts it from the planet. If the planet does not have enough resources to maintain all stuctures then they will start to get damaged. Planets auto-distribute resources, but shipyard planets take presidence. Population could also generate resources, so there is value over the Ice, Ocean and Terran planets. Planets only trade resources over the excess they have, so a planet will demand only if it doesnt make enough. Planets can also have a cap on the max amount of resources they can have, this could be tied into the population or via use of a new storage structure.

3) Making money
This section addresses concerns with making money to pay for the modifications.

3a) Mining:
When mining, the player will a mine a generic resource, which will fill up cargo as per usual. You then 'sell' this to the planet. This will work like normal system does. Obvious planets with more rare minerals would cause more of this generic resource to be mined per cycle. Obviously the price payed would scale according to the stockpile with a minimum and maximum cap.

3b) Automatic bounties:
Give players who deal damage to ships which are subsequently destroyed a bounty payment. This could scale according to rank and the destroyed ship size. A GA damaging a scout would gain very little if any bounty. An Ensign damaging a Dread would gain a large bounty payment.

3c) Fleet Treasury:
Add a fleet treasury. Planets that reach their maximum resource storage convert a proportion of the excess in credits, the rest being lost to wastage. A tax level on this could provide credits being deposited into the fleet treasury. This can then be divided among the members using a wages system.

4) Cloak, ECCM, and beacons.

Beacons, when attached to a K'luth, should not make them visible. They should instead increase the recloak time for a random number of seconds, for between 4-8 seconds and increase it's base signature for a futher period of between 20-30 seconds. The K'luth can recloak with this added timer, but its harder for them to hit and run for the period the beacon has hit them for. Beacons will still add 20 sig to ICC ships, but K'luth cloak needs to make the sig ABSOLUTE 0 when fully cloaked, beaconed or not.

5) Resources lost.
The resources lost system DOES work. I cannot put it better than this quote by Carns
Quote:

"Now, sucky players are moving back down the ranks to the smaller vessels. This bothers them, as no one really wants to admit they are a sucky player, and do not deserve the large vessels. Well, even with a large amount of time constructing and supplying, I have lost 400-600 pres since the beginnign of 1.483. I am a sucky player who is overpromoted to the rank of 1RA... I am at best a Dessie skipper, with a good chance of being a Frig driver, and my massive deaths should be keeping me there."

However, I think everyone agrees that resources lost could be toned down a little more to somewhere between the current levels and 1.482 levels. Along with loss of the overpowered armor we should see a little more hull damage and prestige gain as a result, but with players still needing to work for it.

Goto the website of Drafell
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2005-07-21 17:47   
I don't know what to think now ...

After Yesterdays DEV meeting i was very positive from answers You give about direction and improvements in gameplay ...

BUT from this post ... i feel negative... i don't see these changes can improve gameplay at all ...

Warning !
part 1 and part 2 of my post are combination of reactions and thoughts (read whine)
so if you want spare Your time read only Part 3

- part 1 -

who says now is easy to MOD ?

well ... first You people complained about it's TOO expensive (low level were)
but hell ... l10 item cost only 20-200k ? joke ... it should be like million ...
of course ... actually was HARD to made credits ...

but EVERYONE seems to FORGET there was "in past" GROUPING system and MISSION system with credits rewards ....
also PLAYERS/FLEETS can gain credits from captured planets etc ... many solid ways to solve this ...
i was personally suprised grouping not returned already in this build ...

Leveling game ... this "word" is more likely correct to be used for these who whoring "prestige" to gain biggest and l33t ship (dread/station) ...

so first what should be removed are rank levels not item levels ... as noone noticed they are not yet limited except credits ...

- part 2 -

IMHO

removing modding ... bad ... what's point then ... i don't like loadout of most ship anyway ...
it will end again to most ships become useless and people flying like 1/10 of them only

removing item leveling .... well that was option to give some "advantage" now it's easy for everyone to get L10 DEATHSTAR ...

what about RESET everyone credits to 1 million, maybe erase garages too and maybe reset all ranks ? (i know i was always radical with this) ...

but it will give clean start to all ... in new system ...

removing various minerals ?
what's point then of planet importance? tactic to capture or defend them ?
and i always was thinking there should be more of them for variety

no trade? ... oh well ... even worse ...
so what will be pirate faction for ?
thought they will attack convoys and trade class ships (supply,transport,engy) demanding some goods and cargo or looting it ...

no modding, no looting, no manufacturing, no factories, no credits, no trade (no point then to build, planets can autobuild self)
resources can be generated auto, why i should bother to mine or build right it's fight game?

removing resouce lost? so noone will bother to loose any type of ship again same type ...
who can will take biggest ships ... SUCKING RESOURCEs off planet / SY / global pool ...
whatever and rest players will be happy to get tiny scout ...

in fact all these changes .... why not made ALL this instant spawn server ...
whats point of MV ?

u choose faction u choose ship and boom u in middle of battle ? how avoid everyone gets dread ? RND
... now that will be really simple ...

- part 3 -

This is my own look at DS now and what should be done:

- prevent single ship (even blinking cloak IN / OUT) to block ShipYard, it must be fleet and at least some minutes within "range xy"

- if SY become non operational (bombed out, no power/workers, disabled, scrapped) allow after some "timeout" time ability spawn it at home gate

- bring back Grouping, shared prestige and credits income

- bring back simple mission system (defend player/planet, resupply, repair, kill/attack, capture, bring mineral XY (double sell price reward) etc)

- increase cost of item upgrade levels so L1 not cost same as L10 (some tiny modifier at least)

- add prestige gain for ships with enabled interdictors (for each successfull jump abort)

- add some time to item upgrades

- add ship build times (preventing people instantly taking another new stock dread of SY 1 second after they died (excluding own garage))

- lower "bit" but STILL keep resource lost (it should be noticeable (like today i lost 5 dreads and it hurts my prestige) but not causing people to refuse fly them at all ...

- redo planetary rights system (Lock should not BLOCK factory operations) ...

- home gates should be in MV replaced with HOME PLANET(s) and theirs SY (theirs defence should be at least quad power of normal planets) ...

- think about different types of lock (can build, can scrap, can disable, can load troops, can trade, can affect production , and maybe add it per person/fleet id)

- redo GUI (mainly targeting/info system) as actual DS main screen is very BAD to orient and chaotic (e.g. ship/planet HUD icon)

Neutral = Blue
Uknown = White
Friendly = Green
Enemy rebels = Yellow
Enemy Faction= Red
(this can differe in way where UGTO gets red and KLUTH violet colloring
or read bellow about faction icon addition to HUD and targeting)

Planet = big circle
Space object = small circle
Ship = diamond
Fighter = small trinagle
Missile = small eclipse
Mine = small square

tweaks where objects at distance should differ in brightness of color (far dim , close bright)
optionable in settings

ability to show above targets "faction symbol" and distance meter (for ships/objects which are NOT yet targeted)
of course this controlled over hotkeys for easy on/off
this give info how far are other targets w/o need cycle thru each of them ...

- fix interdictor chat spam which lagging users who enter enemy interdictor field

- kill lag
( i heard it's caused by realtime updating of resources and items, what about planets stop trade when having enough resources and planetary mines stop mining when certain level of comonidity is reach)
then any update of status will be done at change or player request ... no need for rest ...

that's it ...

and after most of players will like it
plus bonus like platforms , market and commodity trading and such will be lovely addition ....

EDIT: some touches

[ This Message was edited by: Dwarden on 2005-07-21 18:12 ]

unknown force
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 18:00   
In my opinion modding ships was half the fun of the game. If everyone had the same stock ships it would be boring because you would already know each opponent's ship's exact capabilities before the first shot was even fired. It would make combat a lot more predictable.

Concerning the cost of modding I think it should simply be made cheaper to do which would solve the problem of having to spend too much time getting credits.

People also need to realize that with different factions having different ships there cannot be complete balance. If you wanted complete balance you would just have one faction and everyone using the same ships.
The different ships provide variety and are roughly equivilent and should not be expected to balance exactly like a scale.
Just my two cents.

[ This Message was edited by: unknown force on 2005-07-21 18:08 ]

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 18:07   

Quote:

I feel slimey doing this, but I agree with backslash ^^... We need some form of swapping, but the current system is CONFUSING... KISS...

why would u need some form of swapping? if Taelron come up with more stock variation (wich Faustus said he could) theres no need to mod anything and noone will be able to mod anything into a 1 man fleet of any type of ship, be it bomber or combat.

[ This Message was edited by: Jar Jar Binks on 2005-07-21 18:07 ]

Quietly confident
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 18:13   
I think we should all stop complaining about the game. just post the bugs. let the admisn deal with it. there doing a great job at the moment eve nthough there are still many problems with the game. but complaining about what 'we' think should be done will not help them in fixing issues like lag, i think we should live and let be untill they have all the bugs in this version worked out before we/they start changing the game anoymore.

Commander of the Heavy supply Ship Laden

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2005-07-21 18:20   
reduce upgrading so theres only lvl 0-5, no lvl 10s or 15s.
leave modding in

it doesnt need to be scrapped, just made less intrusional on the gameplay. modding should give u a SMALL advantage, and should be used so players can have a ship for specific situations. it adds a tactical element.

fix up gauss gun so its useful, leave everything else cept for taking off the higher lvls of modding, and the system should be better.

personally i dont want to see modding go, even tho i personally try to avoid using it as much as possible. no, cash shouldnt be the primary focus of gameplay, but maybe its gain should be directly related? every ship u kill gives u a cash reward? taxes on planets incorporated into the economy system would be good too.

but, its your game faustus. if itll reduce lag for a lot of people its probably worthwhile until other solutions can be found.

-Stormryder-
Cadet

Posted: 2005-07-21 18:35   
I like F's idea. But I have a bit of an issue with the way the new ships weapon systems are... I noticed in the newest version a HC and a AC were almost exactaly the same. The difference between them is really small. AC has 2 HCL's, and HC doesnt. HC has a aft armor... and a AC doesnt. The AC has one more slot for torps than the HC, I believe CL are the same, and of course the mounts are different. I like the previous version where you could pull out a stock or a modded HC/AC and both would be completely different. And I noticed the CD and AC are somewhat identical in weapon loadouts, just the ammo count and lvl's are different. I think having each and every ship completely different from any other ship would be a good change.

Email -Stormryder-   Goto the website of -Stormryder-
JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2005-07-21 19:09   
You mean people would have to use teamwork and strategy to play?! Go for it man!

Goto the website of JediKnight
Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2005-07-21 19:18   
I saw a post further up asking for ideas though i know i should not type this off top of my head but here goes :

1. Ships can only be modded from home system gate (from ship selection screen).
- reduce lag from planets storing items
- loss of modded ship is inconvenient to the player as new ship has to be flown / worm holed back to the battle.

2. Planets can only spawn stock ships based on the tech of the planet.
- I know i used to keep enough mods in garage to be able to pull out a fully modded new ship anywhere in the MV within 1-2 mins.
- Never heard of a war zone where weapon R&D was done near the front of the battle - usually shipped in from homeland or issued to troops prior to deployment.

3. Ships logged out in space or docked into shipyards later lost to planet capture or scrapping revert to respawning from home system gate.
- like a auto pilot overide - effectively ship would be sensing no one controlling so goes autopilot to home.
- distribution of modded combat ships accross the MV becomes important.
- prevent modded ships 'magically' popping up from one system to the next within 2 mins without some teamwork.

4. Have to orbit planet without firing for 30 seconds to allow ship to dock, can be broken by moving ship or firing.
- preventative to sy abuse

5. Possibly have restricted wormhole tech (from home system only?) able to be built on planets to allow low ranked players to at least be able to jump their modded ships around the MV at times when the MV is low on players.

Certainly some flaws there, though I think they could be sorted out with a bit more thought.
My 2½ cents worth - keep the change please.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2005-07-21 20:02   
On 2005-07-21 17:35, Drafell wrote:

Quote:

1) Modding

Dont remove modding. Without modding, there is no individualization of the ships. People need to feel its their ship as once you hit max rank you need some form of interest. Even if you dont hit the maximum rank, there needs to be something inbetween to keep you going and to help occupy your time.

Indeed, modding kept the uniqueness and unpredicatble there in DS...

Quote:

This form of customisation is a staple principle of all pay to play games. People also have different play styles. Removing modding is restricting them, and they will not like being forced to play with something that they don't feel the have any influence over or are accustomed to. It may make the game feel more arcadish, but there is nothing to promote keeping the playerbase interested. P2P games NEED some form of treadmill to keep players interested. Gaining credits for modding IS one form of that treadmill. The trick is getting this balanced correctly with ease of play. The rank and badge system is another form of this treadmill that does not need changing.

This is also true, such treadmills keep the replay value up, and make it that much more addicting with variously different and sinister setups.

Quote:

Modding has always been a good selling point for the game. Removing modding, removes the point in needing credits. And thus removes that extra bit of longterm interest.
Getting rid of the current level system would make things a lot easier to balance as you would be dealing with a much smaller range of variables. Remove the levels and keep the 1.483 weapons and slots.

I would agree with removing the level system, it simply plagues the game more...the slots needs a little teaking, as in which weapons go where...such as beacons being put back to Special I.

Quote:

1a) New modding system:-

The current system for modding is clumsy and not easy to understand for new players. We have come up with a more intuitive method for managing this.

I find every new game is like that I play...I think a more understandable way is a clear way to grab and hold new players as welll...

Quote:

Instead of the current system where factories build items, and starports hold them, we have come up with the following idea:-

Factories, would no longer build items in the current sense. So there would be no extra nouns clogging up the DB. They would instead give players an option for replacing their components from a set list. So a stockpile would no longer be required.

This is an excellent idea. Not only does it reduce massive ammounts of lag, but it also makes modding hundreds of times quicker and easier. No more nasty build times and waiting ques...

Quote:

This is how it would work:-

I orbit a planet with tech 45. When I right click on my device a list of components comes up. I cannot install an EMP Cannon because it requires tech 65 and the planet doesnt have sufficient technology. I chose the Particle Cannon instead. The credits are deducted from my account, and my old component gets removed and sold to the starport. The planet also losses and amount of resource from its stockpile depending on the requirement for the item you 'manufactured'. The device you sold would then dissappear from existence, saving lots of troublesome DB tracking. You would no longer be able to buy devices at starports. The starports would purely be used for trading food, and resources(s).

PLANETS UNDER BLOCKADE CANNOT REFIT ITEMS. This stops any possible abuse by players and swapping out components on a whim.

An altogether perfect system, which again, makes the game more fast paced...

Quote:

You could still salvage items from destroyed ships, and install them as you are currently able to. Or again you could sell them to a starport where the device would again dissappear.

Perhaps non-faction tech could be worth double when selling?

Quote:

1b) Armour and Shields:-

Because we have removed the level system, armor and shields would be much easier to balance. Each section would give you a set amount of HP modified by hull size. We could still keep the different armor and shield types.

I think it would be alot more inventive if every ship had its own modifier (should it need it) for example, an Ageincourt Dreadnought would have a lower modifier than say, an EAD, simply because of the bulk of the EAD allows more and thicker Armor...

But that may introduce a little too much coding and complexity, so I think a simple balence would be a good possibility IMO...

Quote:

2) Planets

Planets work, the resources dont. Resources cause huge stockpiles, the way its managed needs to be changed. Theres far too much being updated live on the servers. Instead, planets still have the minerals, but mines will generate a generic 'resource' based on the minerals on the planet. Rare minerals will generate more resources. Keep in mind, no minerals are actualy mined so there is only this one type to track. All structures drain an amount of resource, based on what they are. Defence bases, obviously need maintaining, and so drain resources from the planet. Every maintenance update cycle, the server scans the planet, adds all the structures resource value together, and deducts it from the planet. If the planet does not have enough resources to maintain all stuctures then they will start to get damaged. Planets auto-distribute resources, but shipyard planets take presidence. Population could also generate resources, so there is value over the Ice, Ocean and Terran planets. Planets only trade resources over the excess they have, so a planet will demand only if it doesnt make enough. Planets can also have a cap on the max amount of resources they can have, this could be tied into the population or via use of a new storage structure.

All good ideas, making rarer planets worth alot more and thus, making capping more in depth than just attacking "any old planet" and also requires that players may have to maintain their planets in order to keep them up and runnin.

Quote:

3) Making money
This section addresses concerns with making money to pay for the modifications.

3a) Mining:
When mining, the player will a mine a generic resource, which will fill up cargo as per usual. You then 'sell' this to the planet. This will work like normal system does. Obvious planets with more rare minerals would cause more of this generic resource to be mined per cycle. Obviously the price payed would scale according to the stockpile with a minimum and maximum cap.

Keeping trading and mining in should players desire it. And with the fact that there is no questions as to "which resource is best" it keeps the simplicity up for newer players, making their entrance far easier.

Quote:

3b) Automatic bounties:
Give players who deal damage to ships which are subsequently destroyed a bounty payment. This could scale according to rank and the destroyed ship size. A GA damaging a scout would gain very little if any bounty. An Ensign damaging a Dread would gain a large bounty payment.

It should be scaled more towards ranks than ships...because a GA can just hop in a Dessie and get alot of credits for going against a newb Dread. As such, it should be scaled via rank...of course, that means higher ranks are restricted to how many credits they earn, but that indeed is okay.

Quote:

3c) Fleet Treasury:
Add a fleet treasury. Planets that reach their maximum resource storage convert a proportion of the excess in credits, the rest being lost to wastage. A tax level on this could provide credits being deposited into the fleet treasury. This can then be divided among the members using a wages system.

Thats also another good way to get credits to players, and also encourages being in a fleet, and reduces faction hoppers en-masse.

Quote:

4) Cloak, ECCM, and beacons.

Beacons, when attached to a K'luth, should not make them visible. They should instead increase the recloak time for a random number of seconds, for between 4-8 seconds and increase it's base signature for a futher period of between 20-30 seconds. The K'luth can recloak with this added timer, but its harder for them to hit and run for the period the beacon has hit them for. Beacons will still add 20 sig to ICC ships, but K'luth cloak needs to make the sig ABSOLUTE 0 when fully cloaked, beaconed or not.

This would keep Kluth happy, and even as a UGTO player, I like it.

Perhaps scanners could be used to temporarily detect beaconed Kluth? (for a few seconds at best)

Quote:

5) Resources lost.
The resources lost system DOES work. I cannot put it better than this quote by Carns
Quote:

"Now, sucky players are moving back down the ranks to the smaller vessels. This bothers them, as no one really wants to admit they are a sucky player, and do not deserve the large vessels. Well, even with a large amount of time constructing and supplying, I have lost 400-600 pres since the beginnign of 1.483. I am a sucky player who is overpromoted to the rank of 1RA... I am at best a Dessie skipper, with a good chance of being a Frig driver, and my massive deaths should be keeping me there."

However, I think everyone agrees that resources lost could be toned down a little more to somewhere between the current levels and 1.482 levels. Along with loss of the overpowered armor we should see a little more hull damage and prestige gain as a result, but with players still needing to work for it.

I would rather see 1.482 prestige loss specifically, if not lower...

Other than that, I think Draf and Backy have a solid suggestion that I would love to see part of the game...

-Ent

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Page created in 0.028481 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR