- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +1.6 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +7.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Scenario Servers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Scenario Servers
-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-04 10:28   
They need to have a idle timeout for the lobby that after x amount of time of just sitting in the lobby and not playing it kicks you out for a x amount of time. It's a game not a chatroom.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-04 10:41   
Nice of yall to stay on-topic, How about i join ya.

Quote:
On 2009-07-04 10:10, Sensitivity wrote:
lobby campers just don't play unless their fellow lobby campers goad them into playing... which is never.

Ask and i shall come, i may be doing other stuff at the time but i'm almost, always available to supp.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-04 12:51   
Quote:

On 2009-07-04 10:28, Daedalus wrote:
They need to have a idle timeout for the lobby that after x amount of time of just sitting in the lobby and not playing it kicks you out for a x amount of time. It's a game not a chatroom.

Oh but it is. Darkspace and GCQL are two seperate entities. GCQL is merely the frontend for Darkspace, and potentially many other games.

Email Sens [R33]
cctv dude99
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-04 12:54   
the thing that shocked me when i started playing was the sheer amount of complaints about drastic changes, it only took me a few days to figure out the game was in havoc. from what i've heard the game was great back then. but i think what you need is a balance, a word many people say in other topics, but in this case, balance means a balance of the new and old darkspace. what you need to do is just make a list of what you like about the new and old darkspace and possibly ideas for the future darkspace, and then see if some of the old darkspace can some back, some of the new darkspace can stay and if your ideas for the future can happen. i know were getting seriously off topic here but, oh well.

[ This Message was edited by: cctv dude99 on 2009-07-04 13:00 ]

I will subscribe in Two Weeks™...

-Daedalus-
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-04 13:49   
Quote:

On 2009-07-04 10:28, Daedalus wrote:

Or better yet. If they sit idle in the lobby it will make them join MV so they can be killed. muahahaha

cctv dude99
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-05 06:56   
nice... evil idea. i like it! but it would be impossible to do. anyway. wtf? were off topic. big whoop

I will subscribe in Two Weeks™...

Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-05 12:54   
Because yeah, having no one in the lobby ever would REALLY make this game look appealing to new players.

Don't be a tool of angst... ohwait

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-05 21:00   
Quote:

On 2009-07-03 17:43, |2eason wrote:
Scenario Servers vs The Metaverse

The Metaverse is the future for Darkspace. As fun and enjoyable as Scenario servers were in the past, they do not hold the potential that the Metaverse does, in my opinion. However, I do agree the Scenario Server playstyle is very enjoyable and should be incorporated in the game in some form or another. Which brings me to the issue at hand.

Unfortunately I don't think that's true, and I don't think a lot of players do either. The MV doesn't offer the possibilities that scenario servers constantly offer, in the form of construction, transporting, extracting etc. The MV is always built, the same few ships are always seen, and it's just too persistent. Scenario games are sort of like a good RTS game, where you start out with nothing and have to work quickly to build yourself or your team up.

No MV battle was ever as exciting to me as the early to mid portion of a scenario match, where you're rushing to cap, build, bomb the enemy and defend vs enemy bombers. The MV never had that kind of action. The MV's focus is almost entirely on ship vs ship combat, and that's not what Darkspace is all about (for me). Who even uses transports in the MV? Who engineers on a regular basis? Every planet is built unless it's been bombed recently.

The future of Darkspace can be scenarios. There's no need for this game to be like other MMOs.

Quote:

On 2009-07-03 18:26, AdmBito wrote:
Why scenario doesnt work, according to me:

The biggest, and probably most obvious flaw in the current model would be the presence of the SY. Like Mr. Sparkle said, the gates were undestroyable, you could spawn any ship there, etc, etc. Now, you're forced to build yourself a home. That, combined with the long, long times for building structures (and the fact that only one build can be used at a time) make this a big task. Your first hour+ is concentrating solely on getting the SY up and running. In the MV, that may work, but not in short spurts like the scenario servers.

(Quick aside/question: Are starports working now? Do they funnel the resources where they may be needed? If not, can that be an added feature? And if not, are they obsolete now?)

Again, I think Sparkle brought up the ship layouts. The "toughness" of the ships (compared to what it was .480 and before) combined with the bajillion gadgets ON TOP of the increased energy usage that you can no longer mod around and fix makes a ship on ship fight...boring. It takes forever and a day to get through the first layer, and when you do hull dies very quickly. People are much more afraid to lose their ships that way. When YOUR ship gets hulled, your systems start blinking, and you generally have no choice but to run away. In the past, you could hang out and fight through low hull values and still manage to function in a fight.

Ive run out of steam after three paragraphs, but please critcize, comment, or hop on my bandwagon.

I'm gonna expand on one point you made: During a fight, once you start taking system damage you wind up with 30+ systems all blinking and you really do have no choice but to run.

In the old DS when we had much, much fewer systems, we were actually able to click and choose which systems would get repaired first. That was actually a tactic in itself, choosing which ship systems to repair first.

Sure, technically we could do that now, but you have to look through 30+ systems to find the one you want repaired first. When they're all blinking at the same time and you can't afford to sit there looking through them, you have to ignore them. I don't even know if people bother trying to choose systems to repair anymore, or if the F3 screen gets used at all (the F3 screen is the repair screen right?)

How did ships wind up with so many systems anyway? I fondly remember my ICC missile cruiser having 3 lasers, and it was enough to do decent damage at close range...fire a volley or 3 of missiles, then jump to close range. And when it got hulled and systems damage, I didn't have to squint through dozens of systems icons to find what I wanted repaired first.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-07-05 21:10 ]

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-06 01:20   
Quote:

On 2009-07-05 12:54, Coeus {Ret} wrote:
Because yeah, having no one in the lobby ever would REALLY make this game look appealing to new players.

Don't be a tool of angst... ohwait

face/palm.

Va_Static
Captain

Posted: 2009-07-06 06:07   
Im sooo happy to see the scenario servers back up. I know they are not perfect yet but that just takes time. I would agree with the majority of people that scenario servers really dont need AI. AI should be kept for the MV, having AI in such a small location just becomes really messey. I think scenario servers will bring people back to this game.

I also liked the idea of having them as a continual story depending on which faction won which map. I also think that 3 hours is more than enough time for one map. I think 24 hours would be wayyy too much .

thanks for bringing them back!

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2009-07-06 06:38   
Quote:

On 2009-07-05 21:00, MrSparkle wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think that's true, and I don't think a lot of players do either. The MV doesn't offer the possibilities that scenario servers constantly offer, in the form of construction, transporting, extracting etc. The MV is always built, the same few ships are always seen, and it's just too persistent. Scenario games are sort of like a good RTS game, where you start out with nothing and have to work quickly to build yourself or your team up.

The Metaverse is not viewed as the future of Darkspace because it has not been developed as such, even though the decision was made to head in that direction. All of the things you present as Scenario benifits can be implemented into the Metaverse. Those very issues you site, I brought forward as the first thing that needed to be corrected in order to properly phase out the Scenario Servers. Otherwise, how are you going to level them up? You just need someone creative enough to envision it, someone talented and capable enough to code it, as well as a Development Team with the freedom to make it happen.
Quote:

No MV battle was ever as exciting to me as the early to mid portion of a scenario match, where you're rushing to cap, build, bomb the enemy and defend vs enemy bombers. The MV never had that kind of action. The MV's focus is almost entirely on ship vs ship combat, and that's not what Darkspace is all about (for me). Who even uses transports in the MV? Who engineers on a regular basis? Every planet is built unless it's been bombed recently.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it still make noise?"

I have also had many great times in the Scenario Servers. However, None have been as great as I have had in the Metaverse. Such as the time the [-[A]-]Agents lead a strike into Lalande (when the MV had three wings, one for each faction) and waited 4 hours for a 30 minute intense conflict with both the UGTO and K'luth. We completely wiped them out and began defending from recapture. After it was over the builders moved in. The ammount of strategy, tactics, and sheer teamwork displayed in that one battle overshadows just about every other experience I have ever had, to this day, in Darkspace. The only thing that comes close is the open beta days of Darkspace. I am sure both Lark of Serenity and Banshee will remember this one.

I will never forget the time Kamikaze Chicken and PB took over all of ICC space, and I convinced him and their fleet to leave CD after rushing his dread with my scout, lol.

I could go on for pages, but I usually type more then people can read already,

Quote:

The future of Darkspace can be scenarios. There's no need for this game to be like other MMOs.

The future of Darkspace can be metaverse. There's no need for this game to be like other FPS.

FYI, This game used to be known as "QuakeSpace" at one time, and it wasn't used as a positive term.

Aside from the Metaverse being the future for Darkspace, in my opinion, the Players and the Community are as well.

- |2eason -

[ This Message was edited by: |2eason on 2009-07-06 06:41 ]

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-06 09:58   
The only thing is, history has shown that scenarios are more fun than the MV. So why bother continuing down a path that will ultimately fail? Quakespace is more fun.

Funny that you mention FPS, because that is what I feel the MV is like. And I don't like FPS games. You log on to the MV, find a battle, and that's pretty much it. Maybe you repair a planet that's been attacked. Scenarios are more like my beloved AOE2 RTS, which is nothing like a MMO but more fun than MMOs. You first have to capture, then secure the resources, then build proper defenses, while harassing the enemy trying to do the same.

MV = FPS, Scenario = RTS.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-07-06 10:02 ]

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2009-07-06 10:35   
Quote:

On 2009-07-06 09:58, MrSparkle wrote:

The only thing is, history has shown that scenarios are more fun than the MV. So why bother continuing down a path that will ultimately fail? Quakespace is more fun.

Where is the proof? Aside from that, you completely neglected my argument stating the aspects of the Scenario Server can be implemented into the MV.

Quote:

Funny that you mention FPS, because that is what I feel the MV is like. And I don't like FPS games.

Quote:

Quakespace is more fun.

Quakespace refers to an FPS, focusing mainly on combat

Quote:

You log on to the MV, find a battle, and that's pretty much it. Maybe you repair a planet that's been attacked. Scenarios are more like my beloved AOE2 RTS, which is nothing like a MMO but more fun than MMOs. You first have to capture, then secure the resources, then build proper defenses, while harassing the enemy trying to do the same.

MV = FPS, Scenario = RTS.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-07-06 10:02 ]

Perhaps rather then tout, "MV BAD, Scenario Servers GOOD!!!" you should suggest improvements to the MV and continue to let the Devs know what you dont like about it.

- |2eason -

[ This Message was edited by: |2eason on 2009-07-06 10:39 ]

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-06 11:03   
Scenario server is fun the first times, then it gets boring. Because you cinda do just the same over and over again. Get a planet, build it, mine it, get a dread and kaboom. Atm it is like this anyways.

The Metaverse is more fun as you can do alot more. You can protect your system, you can rebuild the planets to make them bether, you can capture new planets, you can do combat to any factions you want, you can pretty much do what ever you want.

So yes scenario server is prolly a good think to have, but i do belive its just atm a new thing thats popular and in some time more and more ppl will draft over to the MV.

I hope the Devs will spend their time improving the MV. But i hope they will fix bugs before they start making new things. As history shows, evrytime they makes more new things, the more bugs there is.

As some said make the MV for ppl above VA or AD. And the scenario server for new ppl. Theres just one problem here. And its the same with the metaverse. You need ppl to play. The result of deviding up two servers will be that theres less ppl per server. Atm its realy not a good idea. Ofc if this was a game with 100+ playing all the time it would be fantastic.

*Defiant*
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-06 11:14   
Scenarioservers are still far away of the old good scenarioservers back in 1.481 but u know what

I just subscribed for a month because of them

and iam one of the really old oldtimers that left DS because of some unfortunate developments after .481

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022789 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR