Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Dev log1
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
 Author Dev log1
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-16 00:10   
@Fatal command :

This idea came from someone else not long ago.Now I would like to remind a few words of bardiche from the main lobby.He said a combat dread can go at max speed with sensor devices on and fire constantly without running out of energy. Personally i didnt check the combat dread. So in this case , ships like combat dread will have almost inmortality in the battle field. However this idea of having the energy from drives instead of from other shields is good.But in one condition. You must be limited such a percentage that wouldnt make the ship op. Like 10% of total energy and with a 2 minutes cooldown timer. I believe this may give the devs a real good option to fit icc ships in faction ideal.Then again numbers here are presentative.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-16 00:28   
Quote:

On 2010-05-16 00:10, Pakhos wrote:
@Fatal command :

This idea came from someone else not long ago.Now I would like to remind a few words of bardiche from the main lobby.He said a combat dread can go at max speed with sensor devices on and fire constantly without running out of energy. Personally i didnt check the combat dread. So in this case , ships like combat dread will have almost inmortality in the battle field. However this idea of having the energy from drives instead of from other shields is good.But in one condition. You must be limited such a percentage that wouldnt make the ship op. Like 10% of total energy and with a 2 minutes cooldown timer. I believe this may give the devs a real good option to fit icc ships in faction ideal.Then again numbers here are presentative.

No it can't be chained like that, it will be either all or nothin. This idea needs to be added, and soon to give ICC an fighting chance in combat. It should drain energy from you even when sitting still to do this or ships would become invulnerable.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-16 00:45   
ok , just asking , How much energy to spend for 1% shield?

Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-16 00:52   
Balancing shields around energy would work.

1. All shields only drain energy when recharging.
2. All shields drain alot more energy than they currently do.
3. All shields regenerate alot faster than they currently do.
4. [optional] Shields can still absorb damage when 'offline', the online/offline status is for regeneration.

This will make ICC ships use their energy bar as a defense layer.
With the high energy drain from shields, ICC players will have to balance their energy between weapons, engines & shields.

Quote:
On 2010-05-16 00:45, Pakhos wrote:
ok , just asking , How much energy to spend for 1% shield?

That's not the right way to balance something like this, but IMHO I'd first go for 2 energy for 1% to all 4 shield facings.
Full energy bar for full shield regen.
[ This Message was edited by: Phoebuzz on 2010-05-16 00:57 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-16 01:00   
Quote:

On 2010-05-15 22:44, Fatal Command*CO* wrote:
WARNING....INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

ok...end of wall of text.

Interesting, I like this idea, it gives ICC some (definately needed) increase in recharge rate, but doesn't give them any extra abilities. It's a very elegant solution.

I've thought in my head about how the energy system should be changed, giving the ability to "transfer all power to the hyperdrive(jumpdrive)" to speed up the recharge, or transfering it to shields or engines for added defense or maneuverability. I mean think about it, in every space movie you hear someone say "ALL POWER TO THE REAR DEFLECTOR SHIELD!" or something, it's a classic tactic of space combat, and it's missing in darkspace!

[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2010-05-16 01:01 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-16 01:32   
Quote:

On 2010-05-16 00:52, Phoebuzz wrote:

Full energy bar for full shield regen.

A reminder , we came this point from talking about ugto stations repair rate. Basicly a sitting station that only fires core weapons dont use any energy until something comes in beam range. Anyway , what i want to say is , icc stations can become to what we know as ugto station spam. The idea is hard to implement , thats why I suggested a cooldown timer for it.

Aeraesoria
Admiral
Synchronicity

Posted: 2010-05-16 02:37   
I have to agree with Fatal Command on the idea... I like it

Kaoschan
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-05-16 05:02   
Quote:

On 2010-05-15 22:44, Fatal Command*CO* wrote:
WARNING....INCOMING WALL OF TEXT

ok...end of wall of text.

this!

[ This Message was edited by: Kaoschan on 2010-05-16 05:02 ]

K'luth Hunter - Recon ~Ping~ Scout - ECCM for the Team, to beat the K'luth!

Goto the website of Kaoschan
Nimitz
Fleet Admiral
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-05-16 08:48   
I like Pakhos' idea of a cooldown. Don't forget there are one-off use energy rechargers enhancements you can buy, so if an ICC player has it on their ship, that ship can become over-powered.
\"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.\" -- Rich Cook

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-16 08:50   
FCs idea reminds me of the XWing series, where you could shunt energy to beams, shields or engines.

Wouldnt be a bad idea I guess. Its a trade-off for sure, stealing energy for weapons for better protection. Could be that it makes them weaker though, which would be my only concern. On the other hand, if sitting at a planet defending, they would be essentially unbeatable, since firing stationary would allow them to shunt to shields without much of an energy drain, due to the lack of using all the weapons at the same time.

Its a good idea, but I see some potential trouble with it. It would have to be tested very closely to see what the effects would be, both in offensive and defensive actions.

If it works, it solves a lot of the tears on ICC with a small fix.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
DarkCloudd
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-16 10:07   
Yes I am a biased ICC player but +infinate to Command's Idea!!! This does add a handicap to us tho, in the sense that if we want to stop and go turtle then we are going to be taking more fire and not have any energy to spare for weapons. It would just require UTGO and Luth to use a tactic called "Focusing Fire" to knock us out of the fight.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-16 10:40   
Quote:

4. [optional] Shields can still absorb damage when 'offline', the online/offline status is for regeneration.

+1 witht hat and +1 With Command's idea
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-05-17 11:09   
[quote]
On 2010-05-16 10:40, Zero28 wrote:
Quote:

on 1 right...unless they are being boosted..then I would say about 3 e per 1% shield.

on 2 no,,,then we'd be shorted on the E end .AC has 135 e available with nothing being used.so if 1 arc is dead..you can only boost it to 45% before out of E.Thats not including any weapons fire.

3 thats the point of the Boosting from E YOU regen them(devs wouldnt have to change regen rate code)

4 no....If shields are offline they dont exist.They are energy barriers (for lack of a better description).They dont do anything or use anything when offline,as should be.

I'll try and explain a lil more into detail if you want but as no one from dev has said anything,dont think its gonna be considered seriously.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Phoebuzz
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-17 12:45   
[quote]
On 2010-05-17 11:09, Fatal Command*CO* wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-16 10:40, Zero28 wrote:
Quote:

on 1 right...unless they are being boosted..then I would say about 3 e per 1% shield.

on 2 no,,,then we'd be shorted on the E end .AC has 135 e available with nothing being used.so if 1 arc is dead..you can only boost it to 45% before out of E.Thats not including any weapons fire.

3 thats the point of the Boosting from E YOU regen them(devs wouldnt have to change regen rate code)

4 no....If shields are offline they dont exist.They are energy barriers (for lack of a better description).They dont do anything or use anything when offline,as should be.

I'll try and explain a lil more into detail if you want but as no one from dev has said anything,dont think its gonna be considered seriously.

I really should have explained my post better.

I like your idea, but it has a major problem. It'll never get implemented.
It won't get implemented for 3 reasons:
1. It would remove a core features from the game. (shield rotation)
2. It would take many hours of dev time to implements.
3. It's not balanced and will take dozens of hours of dev time to tweak constantly.

I really want your idea to be implemented ingame, so I've designed an alternative version of your idea that would (moslty) only require tweaks to the currently existing shields to achieve something really close to what you wanted.

1. Tweak the shields so they are always online. Change shield toggling so it alternates between the keepalive (off) state that only maintains current shielding online (at no energy drain), and the full power (on) state that regenerates the shield at high speed (with heavy energy drain).
This means that you can control whether you want to transfer energy to the shield by toggling the shield on/off. So ICC would be able to rotate shields AND transfer energy to shields.

2. Adjust the regeneration speed and regeneration energy drain of shields to desired levels. You suggested 3e for 1% shield. At 2% shield regen per second (50 seconds for full regen), that's 1.5 energy per active shield device per second so that it regenerates 2% of it's shielding per second.
That's 6 energy per second to regenerate 2% total shield per second. (These figures are for dreads.)

That suggestion would be easy to implement, it would not remove existing features from the game, it would give ICC control over their regeneration, it would allow ICC to regenerate their shield in roughly the time it takes for their jumpdrive to reload, and it would be balanced.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-05-17 13:22   
I didnt say remove the rotation.you keep that factor.4 arcs still.same buttons and all.just dont drain L/F/R shields to boost the aft.It would pull straight from E.ALL the others remain at full til hit/damaged.

as for always On orOff...not only no but NO FRIGGING WAY...not everyone runs all shields all the time.Some of us idiots actually turn a couple (if not all) off just to save them for using what lilttle we have left for getting the frag outta a fight before we die.

to do as you suggest would keep us basically in the same position we are in now,we damage 3 arcs of shielding to boost 1 ( basically that IS what we do when we use rotation).Your suggestion would simply allow for faster regen but wouldnt eliminate the damage to the other arcs from rotating.

To put it in terms of armor...it would be like having full armor arcs, not 1/4s, and have them damaged no matter where they get it.

As it currently is,if you hit me in the front arc and remove 5%, I have to remove 3% or so from each of the other 3 arcs to get front back to full,in other words I "damage" myself to "repair" the damage you did to me.It shouldnt work like that.It should be a loss of E to compensate for the "Boost" to the damaged arc while leaving the other arcs alone.

By Boosting my damaged shield I would drain E from the available only,which would also mean I IF I were in combat,I would lose E needed for weps after a certain amt of boosting.

as a couple others stated the only major issue I see is planet hugging.But I've been thinking on that,

to counter what would basically be god mode while planet hugging.Make E recharge at full rate while moving.If you dont move (run engines) you dont regen E.

Its been said that there are "plans" in the works for ICC,dont know what but we'll see.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Page created in 0.039628 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR