- Weekly DarkSpace
05/18/24 +4.6 Days
- Towel Day
05/25/24 +10.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » question of the invisible ring
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author question of the invisible ring
Ravendark
Marshal
Sanity Assassins

Posted: 2011-05-19 08:56   
kenny's pincer dread will fit nicely in those imaginary rings

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-19 11:38   
Quote:

On 2011-05-17 12:12, Brahmastra wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-17 11:50, General Zod wrote:
I'd rather have the hitboxes reduced, at least on the large ships. The visual is tied to the calculating, and the calculating is wrong.

Do not forget that a ship's hitbox decrees the possibility of achieving a hit. If the hitbox was reduced, the ship would become inherently harder to hit. So, a Combat dread would be easier to hit than a Mandible because K'Luth hulls are generally larger than human ship hulls.

While at the new speeds, a station will not be avoiding any projectile launched at it, a dread will benefit profitably from a hitbox reduction. Also, the hitbox makes sure that weapons with falloff can not deal damage beyond a certain point (for stations, a SCL deals about 70-85% of their maximum damage. Thank the hitbox which makes sure you don't take more damage than that).

No matter how experienced we are, Zod, meddling with things that can affect the balance of the game is the forte of the developers, not us.

I like the idea of Kluth ships being easier to hit because they're bigger, because, well, they're bigger. Their size also means they pack more firepower than human ships, so in the end it all makes sense; except for Hives which lost half their missile slots some time back and have sucked in combat ever since.

I'm not talking some huge reduction, just the picture of the blue vs green rings. The blue ring is much closer to the actual size of the ship. Stations need it the most, but dread hitboxes also seem oversized.

There's also a little-used tactic called leading the target which not many use ingame unless trying to hit cloaked Kluth. You don't always have to fire directly at the target.

This isn't a big deal to me. It bothers me in situations where a station or dread is hiding behind a small planet completely out of harm's way, but it's hitbox extends past it and thus it can still be hit.

(my pic on the first page is also a bug that used to occur where scouts occasionally had huge hitboxes. If it was uncloaked it would be easier to see)

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-19 11:47   
Quote:

On 2011-05-19 11:38, General Zod wrote:

There's also a little-used tactic called leading the target which not many use ingame unless trying to hit cloaked Kluth. You don't always have to fire directly at the target.

The game already does this for you.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-19 13:46   
That's what you think It attempts to, but how often have we fired at a moving target and the shots miss anyway?

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-05-19 14:04   
Quote:

On 2011-05-19 13:46, General Zod wrote:
That's what you think It attempts to, but how often have we fired at a moving target and the shots miss anyway?

Just like in real life, gunnery control computations can't look into the future and predict what evasive manoeuvres the target is going to perform in the time between the shot being fired and the shot hitting the target. You'll notice that it only misses when the enemy is actively changing speed or turning.

Strictly speaking you could go one step further and have the targeting routines look at the target's rate of turn and acceleration as well, but that still won't help if the enemy changes what they're doing in the time between firing and the time the shot arrives.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-19 14:06   
Dont think anyone has mentioned this but if you start to change the distance from the center of the ship at which projectiles detonate your going to have to rework splash damage. If things detonate closer they are going to be splashing things that they didn't before and with more force.
(this is going on what I think I understand about splash damage and its calculation tell me if I'm wrong.)

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-19 20:01   
Quote:

On 2011-05-19 14:04, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

Just like in real life, gunnery control computations can't look into the future and predict what evasive manoeuvres the target is going to perform in the time between the shot being fired and the shot hitting the target. You'll notice that it only misses when the enemy is actively changing speed or turning.

Strictly speaking you could go one step further and have the targeting routines look at the target's rate of turn and acceleration as well, but that still won't help if the enemy changes what they're doing in the time between firing and the time the shot arrives.

Which is why when a target is turning it can be better to manually lead the target. It's not guaranteed but it's often more accurate than letting the game do it.

People do it all the time when firing on cloaked kluth, leading their shots in the direction they think the ship is moving.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2011-05-19 20:14   
You have to manually lead when firing at cloaked Kluth, it's a bit more difficult to do and not really worth it when you're shooting at something that's also shooting back at you.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2011-05-19 20:23   
Quote:

On 2011-05-19 20:01, General Zod wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-19 14:04, Gejaheline wrote:
Quote:

Which is why when a target is turning it can be better to manually lead the target. It's not guaranteed but it's often more accurate than letting the game do it.

People do it all the time when firing on cloaked kluth, leading their shots in the direction they think the ship is moving.

You can manually lead the target..... that is, if you can operate like an octopus. Control your ship with your left hand via the arrow/WASD keys, while having your pinkie on the CTRL key. Right hand on the mouse dragging the recticle to manual fire, while again using another free finger on your left hand to fire... LOL.

There.... now don't you feel like getting a Razer Naga mouse, or an Anansi keyboard?

*FTL*Soulless
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-19 20:24   
shoting at luth that are cloaked is Blind firing. Its called that cause you don't have any target data on that enemy

[ This Message was edited by: Cmdr Zod on 2011-05-19 21:20 ]

Email *FTL*Soulless
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2011-05-19 21:44   
It's blind firing but the concept is the same. If a kluth ship cloaks and disengages from you you lead your shots in the direction you think he's headed. It winds up being blind firing but in the beginning it's purely leading your shots.

You can do it in regular combat once you're comfortable with DS controls. I don't recommend you do it near planets (but in this DS age, everything happens at depot planets so good luck!)

I can't be the only one who does this? Not all the time but vs circling targets it's better.

Botoru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-20 14:56   
I found one day that my ring disappeared. I dunno wat happened but it definitely looked more realistic. I had to look at the systems to see the armor. I suppose i pressed a button? And by the way people ought to know (or some people) i'm iamai100.

[ This Message was edited by: .Starscream. on 2011-05-20 14:57 ]

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2011-05-20 16:31   
The forward slash key (/) will toggle armour rings and heading indicators through several settings, including off, only on self and target, and on all allied ships.

Botoru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-21 10:09   
thanks

Brundon
Admiral

Posted: 2011-05-22 07:30   
Here's an idea. Why not just enjoy the game as it is instead of making a whole fuss about certain things that look wrong in the game? I don't think this game is based so much on realism, it's more based on fun. Hence the reason it's called a "Game".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031115 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR