No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » New models in beta. Feedback required.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
 Author New models in beta. Feedback required.
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-02 09:45   

Good news is that Jack managed to get me the Harbinger model. And it is a beauty. I'm already working on the mesh while still texturing the redesigned ICC AD.

I had to add two additional engines to the Harbie, as the original model only had a single tiny one.

ICC AD shd be ready in a couple of days. The Harbie in a week.

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-02 12:35   
Quote:

On 2012-10-02 09:45, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Good news is that Jack managed to get me the Harbinger model. And it is a beauty. I'm already working on the mesh while still texturing the redesigned ICC AD.

I had to add two additional engines to the Harbie, as the original model only had a single tiny one.

Have my babies.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Mylith
Grand Admiral
Faster than Light

Posted: 2012-10-02 14:31   
Quote:

On 2012-10-02 12:35, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
Quote:

Have my babies.

@kenny: the offer is a nice one but it's not advisable.

http://twitter.com/DarkSpace7

{Arcane|cat}
Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-02 14:44   
Quote:

On 2012-10-02 14:31, Mylith *CO* wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-10-02 12:35, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
Quote:

Have my babies.

@kenny: the offer is a nice one but it's not advisable.

Not sure thats possible, biologicaly

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-03 01:45   
I think that the front 1/3 of the ship needs to be bigger, as in have a higher arch to it. It seems really small for the rest of the body, like a cockroach. Maybe make the front end taller/rounder and maybe add 2 more of those wings coming off of it that flow back to halfway over the middle section...

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-03 02:13   
Quote:

On 2012-10-03 01:45, -DBS wrote:
I think that the front 1/3 of the ship needs to be bigger, as in have a higher arch to it. It seems really small for the rest of the body, like a cockroach. Maybe make the front end taller/rounder and maybe add 2 more of those wings coming off of it that flow back to halfway over the middle section...

Which ship are you talking about? ICC or UGTO?

If it's UGTO, I'm not gonna alter the design much, because it's LoA's work. I'm merely fixing up the mesh and repainting/texturing it as close as I can to the original. Gotta respect the man's work.

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-03 11:44   
Dear Kenny,
As many users considered, the current models look a bit soft due to many round parts. For such assualt class, we expect there shall be more sharp parts.

After both of these dreads are done, I hope you can work on the Mainstay. It should be the best design of LoA.

As of ICC, LoA also worked on it and this ought to be his best design:

I found this MI made by LoA, it's also beautiful:

I really appreciate your hard work, Kenny. I have watched your designers since you started publishing and I can conclude your skill are getting better. We're almost satisfied with your works. I hope to see more of your creative designs.

Again, thanks for the new dreads Kenny.
[ This Message was edited by: chlorophyll on 2012-10-03 11:52 ]

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-03 12:28   
Quote:

On 2012-10-03 11:44, chlorophyll wrote:
As of ICC, LoA also worked on it and this ought to be his best design:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/ASFAurora/iccDreadRefit.jpg

If that ever gets added to the game, I'm making a Sabot Missile Assault Dread with it. Good god is that detachable pieces? It's a Freakin Mr Potato Head for ICC dreads, I would love to make explosions effects for it

oh god this is why we need modelers so badly I would love to get chunks of ships modeled for explosion effects and possibly debris at one point

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-10-03 12:30   
Just think, if the Mainstay gets added then UGTO can go from flying mushrooms to flying really short bar stools.

Really nice looking bar stools, but bar stools nonetheless.

Scorched Soul[+R]
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-03 15:05   
The station looks cool and i cant tell if its the shape or the photo but it hurts my eyes

ICC dread looks epic

I think the MI ship looks cool too but I cant get a feel for it in 3D cause the picture are too dark

Email Scorched Soul[+R]
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-03 20:51   
I believe he felt that the dread depicted above and his similar ships of that kind were too blocky to be ICC.

-DBS
Marshal

Posted: 2012-10-03 23:18   
I was talkiong about the EAD sry I did not make that more clear. I do believe the front end needs to be larger and have more aggresive parts to it. Its not a freightliner its an EAD!!! Also the ICC AD looks more like my Sister in Law. She is having (had) a baby, but its also an attack ship, not a oil tanker. I dont mean to be so drastic of your models, but if your shooting for assault designs, they should be scary looking... If I was hit by one of the current models in space im sure I would just coast right along the hull and not even get hurt. Shouldnt an assault ship be aggresive looking and painfull?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-04 02:36   

@Chloro:
I don't think I have the Mainstay model. I'll have to check again, 'cuz Jack passed me a file full of LoA stuff recently. I'm working on the Harbinger next after reworking the ICC AD.

I also have that MI destroyer model. I'll look into it at a future date.

I don't have that Mr-Potato Head ICC dread though...

@Frob:
That's how DS models are currently. Overlapping pieces attached as a whole. I can see how it works for ICC. In the last couple of weeks I've learnt that ICC ships are basically common pieces merged into each other and individually resized to create ships.

The M400 for example, consists of over 20 pieces overlapping each other. You also need 20 maps for it. Not the way that I would like to do it, of course. I tend to make models that are single-meshed units with a single, complete texture map.

To "convert" the existing ships, I have to boolean-union the meshes into a single whole (this deletes the overlapping part, and makes the combined meshes into a single hollow model), clean up the meshes to ensure that there are no distortions in the model from the union, then make sure that there are no polygons that are more than 3 or 4 sided. Any n-gon with 5 or more sides will not import into the game.

As for the Mr Potato Head dread model ... well, like I said earlier. It can be done, but you'll end up with a ship with several maps. Only Jack or F can tell you if that is more efficient for the game engine or not. I dunno about that. I could create ships in pieces and attach them. But the textures won't look too nice where they meet. And you could end up with lotsa z-fighting issues.

@DBS
That UGTO model was actually meant to be a Command Dread.

There's currently a little confusion on whether that is the Executor or Harbinger... but from the files I have, that EAD in Beta now is the Executor (I have the Harbinger file) and is hence a Command Dread, according to the original designer, LoA.

That said, his Harbinger model is not so different from the Executor. So it may also not as edgy or 'assault-ish" as you might expect. It's UGTO after all, and they're all meant to be smooth, giant, flying dildoes in space. No sharp edges, no spikes, no horns, no aggressive penile bits sticking out of their already penile ships.

Perhaps you would like to illustrate on a drawing on how you would like an Uggie assault ship to roughly look like. Might even help me with a design too.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-10-04 04:18   
Wait, so can you clean up the current models in Darkspace release?

Also, if we do come up with some concept drawings that seem good, will you incorporate them into a design?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-10-04 05:16   
Quote:

On 2012-10-04 04:18, SpaceAdmiral wrote:

1. Wait, so can you clean up the current models in Darkspace release?

2. Also, if we do come up with some concept drawings that seem good, will you incorporate them into a design?

1. I should be able to, if I can get the models. I've managed it with LoA's. And I've managed to rip parts of the M400 from the game and merged it with the AD.

2. I can try, of course. But it's best to have a plan view (side, top, front/rear) and of course an isometric or some kind of in-flight drawing of it. If it's very clear, I will have an easier time following it closely. Otherwise I'll make up things along the way.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024015 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR