No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Modern Darkspace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Modern Darkspace
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-14 07:59   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 05:02, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:

Correct me if my understanding of how the planetary shield works is wrong. But right now, the structure simply reduces or eliminates the damage caused by bombs to any other structures on the planet. right? There is no actual shield health per se, like on the ICC ships. If the structure is there, and is functioining (not paused, or severely damaged) the shield is up and automatically protects the planet fully.

Incorrect. Planetary shields function exactly like regular ship shields do. They have a total health of 62.5k and regenerate 60 of it per second (requiring around 18 minutes to fully heal)

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-11-14 08:03   
Quote:

*cue IQQ*

Says the bunch of QQ'ers from the other factions.

Another way to balance would be to make a bomb that has bonus damage against shields.

[ This Message was edited by: The Fridge on 2012-11-14 08:03 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-11-14 08:37   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 07:59, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

Correct me if my understanding of how the planetary shield works is wrong. But right now, the structure simply reduces or eliminates the damage caused by bombs to any other structures on the planet. right? There is no actual shield health per se, like on the ICC ships. If the structure is there, and is functioining (not paused, or severely damaged) the shield is up and automatically protects the planet fully.

Incorrect. Planetary shields function exactly like regular ship shields do. They have a total health of 62.5k and regenerate 60 of it per second (requiring around 18 minutes to fully heal)

I stand corrected.

Then perhaps it's time we consider raising the tech for shields? Logically speaking, a shield generator is a pretty advance piece of machinery.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2012-11-14 09:15   
The shield is an actual shield. Any damage done to the planet checks against any shields on the planet and their current HP, and removes from that. Any remaining damage is done to the point of impact.

About 6 months ago we had decided that just allowing the ICC to be the only faction with some sort of planetary defence in addition to what the other two factions has was far from balanced. However, nothing concrete has been discussed yet about where to go or what to give the other two factions.

I had toyed with the idea of the shield just giving a damage reduction rather than the HP method.

Incinarator
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-14 14:56   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 08:37, Kenny_Naboo[+R] wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 07:59, Fattierob wrote:
Quote:

I stand corrected.

Then perhaps it's time we consider raising the tech for shields? Logically speaking, a shield generator is a pretty advance piece of machinery.

Raising the tech requirement to 60 or 70 would do almost nothing. Most ICC planets in the MV have at least 60 tech.

zombat87
Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-14 18:58   
Didn't neutron and biobombs use to bypass shields at one point?

1. Bombing and capping planets in MV is a very minor part of the game now. Compared to the old days the current MV is horribly stagnant, only 3 planets regularly change hands now compared to whole systems in the glory days.
2. When bombing does happen it's tactical not strategic, its done to remove troops/indictors/power
3. Generally either bombing will be done with impunity with space superiority or as a blitzkrieg in a surprise attack before the defenders can assemble. One faction having an almost an entire cruisers payload's worth of breathing room is a massive advantage in the later scenario. That first cruiser could take out a couple of defense buildings or power plants against a Kluth or Uggie planet.
4. Not only does ICC have the only enhanced planetary defense they also are the only faction with a dread bomber, which packs nearly double the bombing capacity of a cruiser. Kluth don't even have a stand off Space-to-Ground missile (although they can use a cloaked carrier to do sneaky commando raids. It's clunky and of questionable effectiveness however)

[ This Message was edited by: zombat87 on 2012-11-14 19:00 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-11-14 19:48   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 18:58, zombat87 wrote:
Didn't neutron and biobombs use to bypass shields at one point?
4. Not only does ICC have the only enhanced planetary defense they also are the only faction with a dread bomber, which packs nearly double the bombing capacity of a cruiser. Kluth don't even have a stand off Space-to-Ground missile (although they can use a cloaked carrier to do sneaky commando raids. It's clunky and of questionable effectiveness however)

Yes neutrons and bio bombs did bypass planetary shields, but that rendered them utterly worthless as you could just ignore it and bomb the troops off a planet then drop your own, or kill off the pop so everything goes down. If I recall correctly there were even a few UGTO and luth players who complained about this because they'd capture a planet with a shield, only to lose it soon after because ICC would just do the same thing to take it back.

The Siege Dread is of questionable effectiveness unless used when you have numerical superiority. It's too big to dodge anything fired at it, and too slow to run away from anything or even reposition easily and is essentially a sitting duck no matter what is attacking it unless supported by other ships.

Bomber Cruisers, on the other hand, are small enough to dodge anything but close range (under 400 GU) shots and are fast enough to easily reposition, they're easily used as first strike weapons and can get in and out before much is done about them unless the opposition is prepared. Quite honestly it's always seemed backward to me, ICC would be better off with a Cruiser and UGTO would be better off with a Dreadnought.

For luth it doesn't matter because they just can stay cloaked until the perfect time to start bombing presents itself.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-11-14 20:00   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 19:50, Two Face wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 09:15, Pantheon wrote:
The shield is an actual shield. Any damage done to the planet checks against any shields on the planet and their current HP, and removes from that. Any remaining damage is done to the point of impact.

About 6 months ago we had decided that just allowing the ICC to be the only faction with some sort of planetary defence in addition to what the other two factions has was far from balanced. However, nothing concrete has been discussed yet about where to go or what to give the other two factions.

I had toyed with the idea of the shield just giving a damage reduction rather than the HP method.

How about a trial for one month where all 3 factions can build shields or none can at all and then see what people think.

Things like these don't get "trialed". They go into beta.

And I don't think this is a good idea. First off, it's against canon that all factions have shields. And next, this will go the route of making all factions the same.

Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-14 20:18   
Factions should be individual by ships and not planets, end of story.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-14 20:26   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 20:18, Two Face wrote:

Says who?
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2012-11-14 20:43   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 20:26, Zero28 wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 20:18, Two Face wrote:

Says who?

Nobody.

Planets are a part of factions just as much as their ships are, and each should have someting that makes it unique to it's side. I don't know about anyone else, but the kinds of games where the ship/buildings/weapons are just different colors and work the same annoy me.

Email Walrus of Apathy
Two Face
Marshal

Posted: 2012-11-14 20:45   
Quote:

About 6 months ago we had decided that just allowing the ICC to be the only faction with some sort of planetary defence in addition to what the other two factions has was far from balanced.

Amen
[ This Message was edited by: Two Face on 2012-11-14 20:49 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2012-11-14 21:59   
Quote:

On 2012-11-14 20:45, Two Face wrote:
Quote:

About 6 months ago we had decided that just allowing the ICC to be the only faction with some sort of planetary defence in addition to what the other two factions has was far from balanced.

Amen
[ This Message was edited by: Two Face on 2012-11-14 20:49 ]

So your issues will be addressed.

It'll just take Two Weeks ™

Sparkx
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-14 23:29   
Quote:

On 2012-11-13 19:25, Mack Bolan(WildCards_58th)®© wrote:
shield starting at 0 is a good idea, but what about the shield going to zero when the power grid goes down........that'll work too methinks

*BOOM*

Pop the power

Email Sparkx
Sparkx
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2012-11-14 23:34   
Quote:

Quote:

On 2012-11-13 18:47, Walrus of Apathy wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-13 16:34, Flash. wrote:
Imo each faction should have the same planet structures and no advantage.

The problem with that is that it makes all the Factions homogenous, which is boring. I'd rather all the faction have something that makes their planets special.

So perhaps having an actual working shield (ala the ICC ships) might be an idea. Shields start off at 0%, and charge up. Everytime the planet is hit, the shield percentage will drop according to the damage absorbed, and etc etc etc.

Though if the first paragraph were true, then this might increase calculations, and thus CPU load and also the data sent back and forth between server and client.

Perhaps removing planetary shields entirely might be easier.
*cue IQQ*

But I would rather raise the tech requirements of the shields, so building one actually requires more supporting infrastructure. This in turn has the effect of ensuring that not all planets can have a shield. And those that do will have to sacrifice more structure space for research buildings to support the shield.

You have to work through 100% of the shield before the bombs effect the structures on the planet... It can be rebuilt by an Engi and have instantly, 100% health...

Email Sparkx
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021470 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR