No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » How did Darkspace loose it's customers?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author How did Darkspace loose it's customers?
SnipeDragon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2017-06-25 17:26   
Quote:
On 2017-06-24 12:42, Rae wrote:
@Snipedragon... is ANY of this likely to happen or is it just a pipe dream? I agree on most points with you.

Number tweaks, what my points all are, are something I can do. Adding timers? I don't know, I could look into it but I am not a C++ dev. Tweaking the numbers is something I can do though. I will see about getting a beta build and a beta server up shortly.

Email SnipeDragon
Walrus of Apathy
Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2017-06-25 19:20   
Quote:
On 2017-06-25 15:31, Bardiche wrote:
All these ideas are for naught without a developer to see dreams come to fruition, though. But if anyone wants to have a brainstorm session purely as mental masturbation, I would happily schedule a date and time, hop on Discord and discuss ideas.

I'm always down for a good "Things we would do to fix DS if we had the time/money/people/resources" session.

Email Walrus of Apathy
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2017-06-25 21:34   
Quote:
On 2017-06-25 15:31, Bardiche wrote:
All these ideas are for naught without a developer to see dreams come to fruition, though. But if anyone wants to have a brainstorm session purely as mental masturbation, I would happily schedule a date and time, hop on Discord and discuss ideas.

I intellectually masturbate all the time. At breakfast, work, dinner, in the shower, in bed, so on and so forth. Except for the intellectual bit anyway.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Whiterin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2017-06-27 19:25   
I'm just checking back in after a few years of not playing, and I saw this thread. I'll give some reasons I personally stopped playing:

- DS has always had a lot of glitches and issues that aren't always addressed for long periods of time. There were still issues around last time I played that were there from the early days of DS.

- I don't know about now, but for quite a while there were very very few devs, and the ones that were there rarely listened to what the player base said/wanted. Having a "whatever I want is what's right, duck what the players think" mentality is really not helpful when you're trying to keep a dying product afloat. I remember one time I made a suggestion, I don't even remember about what, and I was told "Well, that's why I'm the dev and not you!".

- Balance has always been an issue in DS. Generally one race at a time has a substantial gap in power to other races. As soon as things get even remotely close to balanced, the people playing the currently OP race usually threw a fit.

- Last thing, DS is simply old. There are much better maintained, in depth, and flushed out games in the whole space combat genre to chose from. There also aren't many players left around. I remember, 90% of the time I'd log in, there'd be no one else on. Not very exciting playing an MMO that is purely about interacting with other players, when there are no other players.

[ This Message was edited by: Whiterin on 2017-06-27 19:31 ]

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2017-06-28 02:27   
Quote:
On 2017-06-25 17:26, SnipeDragon wrote:

Number tweaks, what my points all are, are something I can do. Adding timers? I don't know, I could look into it but I am not a C++ dev. Tweaking the numbers is something I can do though. I will see about getting a beta build and a beta server up shortly.

Suits me just fine Is it possible to eliminate pres lost for deaths? Or set it to a small percentage? I can't see that damaging the game as is.

I've played a fair amount the past couple of days, and died more than I should. Kids and outside distractions included, that and the fact I suck.. and it's discouraging. after not playing for a couple of years I've lost (and gained but still not enough to offset) more pres in a half hour than I have in 10 years. I think this would encourage more of the lower ranks to jump in after stations and dreads that they ordinarily wouldn't. That happens a couple of times, it snowballs, and there's a battle going on.

Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2017-06-28 06:17   
Quote:
On 2017-06-27 19:25, Whiterin wrote:
I'm just checking back in after a few years of not playing, and I saw this thread. I'll give some reasons I personally stopped playing:

- DS has always had a lot of glitches and issues that aren't always addressed for long periods of time. There were still issues around last time I played that were there from the early days of DS.

- I don't know about now, but for quite a while there were very very few devs, and the ones that were there rarely listened to what the player base said/wanted. Having a "whatever I want is what's right, duck what the players think" mentality is really not helpful when you're trying to keep a dying product afloat. I remember one time I made a suggestion, I don't even remember about what, and I was told "Well, that's why I'm the dev and not you!".

- Balance has always been an issue in DS. Generally one race at a time has a substantial gap in power to other races. As soon as things get even remotely close to balanced, the people playing the currently OP race usually threw a fit.

- Last thing, DS is simply old. There are much better maintained, in depth, and flushed out games in the whole space combat genre to chose from. There also aren't many players left around. I remember, 90% of the time I'd log in, there'd be no one else on. Not very exciting playing an MMO that is purely about interacting with other players, when there are no other players.

[ This Message was edited by: Whiterin on 2017-06-27 19:31 ]

Pretty right on the money. When I first started people went on grinding and playing the game until the upgrade systems along with core weapons.

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2017-06-29 15:19   
On second thought, a bit too ambitious and of a scope larger than DarkSpace could likely permit itself (without reinventing the wheel).
[ This Message was edited by: Bardiche on 2017-06-30 09:33 ]

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2017-06-30 11:01   
Quote:
On 2017-06-29 15:19, Bardiche wrote:
On second thought, a bit too ambitious and of a scope larger than DarkSpace could likely permit itself (without reinventing the wheel).
[ This Message was edited by: Bardiche on 2017-06-30 09:33 ]

Yeah. I'd settle for having a regular 15 -20 people playing to get back up to speed. Changes from there should the game revenue ever permit again.

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2017-07-02 08:20   
Quote:
On 2017-06-22 05:19, SnipeDragon wrote:
I can't speak for Faustus, nor any other staff member, but I believe the Scenario Server could be brought back up once we have the monthly income to do so. If that happens, I think the AI spawn rate needs to be tweaked and lessened.

We could try bringing both servers up at the same time. The current configuration leaves little scratch memory for the machine to work with though, so I'm not sure how it would handle having to write out memory to page all the time, and may introduce hard locks that weren't designed to be handled, and have the potential to be problematic.

In reply to the original question. The game is over 15 years old (18 if you count from initial development). I don't know of many games, let alone MMO's, that have lasted as long. If they have, they are likely in a similar position.

The game is open source now, you can submit changes and have them pushed to live if people really felt that passionate about it. Everyone is free to keyboard warrior their responses, but the real issue was posted on the first page by Pepe.

I don't have the free time to spend hours and hours working on a game anymore. I have a house, DIY work to be done, a partner who requires attention, friends to see, work to be done, and a stupid cat who sheds everywhere. Life got complicated, and I'm sure the same could be said for the rest of the development team.

Anyone with programming chops doesn't need to be part of the development team anymore. You can go to Github, make changes, test them locally, make a pull request. All myself or Faustus have to do is tick a box saying "that looks okay to me" and it's done.

https://github.com/palestar/darkspace/
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2017-07-02 08:35 ]

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2017-07-03 05:17   
Quote:
On 2017-07-02 08:20, Pantheon wrote:
a stupid cat who sheds everywhere.

May be a dumb question but how often does your cat get brushed? They shed a lot less if they get brushed every day, especially shorthair cats.

Nine Arts Dragon
Marshal

Posted: 2017-07-03 08:27   
the game really needs to be ported to mobile platforms, and a new simple but robust UI needs to be developed for it, DS would run easily on phones and tablets and its a billion person market thatr DS is completley missing out on. Obviously though this would require either time or money or both.

kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2017-07-04 23:50   
Quote:
On 2017-07-02 08:20, Pantheon wrote:
Quote:
On 2017-06-22 05:19, SnipeDragon wrote:
I can't speak for Faustus, nor any other staff member, but I believe the Scenario Server could be brought back up once we have the monthly income to do so. If that happens, I think the AI spawn rate needs to be tweaked and lessened.

We could try bringing both servers up at the same time. The current configuration leaves little scratch memory for the machine to work with though, so I'm not sure how it would handle having to write out memory to page all the time, and may introduce hard locks that weren't designed to be handled, and have the potential to be problematic.

In reply to the original question. The game is over 15 years old (18 if you count from initial development). I don't know of many games, let alone MMO's, that have lasted as long. If they have, they are likely in a similar position.

The game is open source now, you can submit changes and have them pushed to live if people really felt that passionate about it. Everyone is free to keyboard warrior their responses, but the real issue was posted on the first page by Pepe.

I don't have the free time to spend hours and hours working on a game anymore. I have a house, DIY work to be done, a partner who requires attention, friends to see, work to be done, and a stupid cat who sheds everywhere. Life got complicated, and I'm sure the same could be said for the rest of the development team.

Anyone with programming chops doesn't need to be part of the development team anymore. You can go to Github, make changes, test them locally, make a pull request. All myself or Faustus have to do is tick a box saying "that looks okay to me" and it's done.

https://github.com/palestar/darkspace/
[ This Message was edited by: Pantheon on 2017-07-02 08:35 ]

This comment is pretty much the be-all/end-all of mic drop comments.

Nothing is stopping anyone from submitting changes to the game, or engine itself. We can all talk about ideas until we are blue in the face as we've done for so many years now. The issue then was that one had to be an actual dev of the game to affect changes to the actual game or Medusa. This restriction no longer exists. The sky's the limit as they say.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2017-07-05 05:17   
A dedicated dev staff, and then second is having a good player base willing to help new players learn. Worked real good in the old days. Nuff said.

Email UnknownWarrior
Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2017-07-06 10:57   

[ This Message was edited by: Rae on 2017-07-06 11:14 ]

Pantheon
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2017-07-08 17:21   
Quote:
On 2017-07-05 05:17, UnknownWarrior wrote:
A dedicated dev staff

Because keeping the lights on for this long isn't dedication?

Github's that way> https://github.com/palestar/darkspace/

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023490 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR