No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.7 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » The high art of professional Supplying
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author The high art of professional Supplying
Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-16 06:04   
Ok, i am writing this due to all the dreads and all the cruisers i lost cause noone realy knew how to supply. i mean, to hit the "y" buttom when your in range is not so hard. but untill you are at the target and how fast, these are the facts which count.

Lession 1: The first target.

especialy the ICC supply is one of the most vulnerable ships in game, its SLOW, WEAK and has no weapons u can count as them. u cant even follow a dread, so what u need to do is, u wait outside (about 3000 gu) the battle, pointing at the battle itself and u have to be verry focused on your mission. a friendly battleship does not have the time to wait untill you woke up, normaly u just wake up cause a dread exploded nearby.
during the battle, a cruiser/dread gets woundet and jumps out. this is your time.

Lession 2: Jump

This is general knowledge... everyone should know that:
if u mark a target and then u jump (pressing "J") to it, u will get out exactly 250 gus before its HULL, so that means u can jump a sun, and if nothing else is in the way u come out 250 gus before u would explode. if a ship needs resupply, he does NOT have the TIME to wait untill your sloow supply ship reached him, the supply ship has nearly 40 seconds for 150. to jump like this is completly WRONG!! the target needs Instant supply.
Probably u know how to mark a point in space. if u press the ctrl (or in german strg) key and u move the mouse into open space, there is a small yellow point. if u click on it, u can fire at this (called blindfire) or u can jump (called manual jumping). so as we learned sooner, u will always come out of jump 250 gus before the targets hull, so if u jump to the jump point u manually set with ctrl, u will jump exactly 250 gus before this point.

Lession 3: jumping Direct

so u are again 3000 gus outside the battlefield, a woundet cruiser/dread just jumped out at 20% hull... NO... WRONG!! u dont jump to the cruiser just by marking him and pressing "j" NO... !
You get to the nav screen, mark the woundet ship (u may have to zoom in/out by pressing x/y or turn the mousewheel.). You can see now the white line towards this target. (if its red, dont jump.) and as we learned, the jump will stop 250 gus before you reach your target. so press ctrl, mark a point in space, klick on it, then if u just klicked on the point, u can move the mouse again. and now u set the point so that the white line crosses the ship u want to jump to, from the woundet ship to your manual jump point it should be exactly 250 gus (calculate or just hope). so u can jump in and give some instant supply.

I saved many lives like this.

If u have any questions, write me an email, catch me in game or ask me via ICQ (number is stored in my profile).

Fleet Admiral [VA]Wicked ice (Minister of personnel of the VA) out.

Ice.r@freesurf.ch

[ This Message was edited by: Wicked Ice on 2002-08-16 06:05 ]

remember:48 Nukes are killing a ganglia in approximately 0.112 seconds, depending on your own ping too.

Goto the website of Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
Griller_GT
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2002-08-16 16:53   
Scenario:

You notice a ship jumping out of a battle, and and as you prepare to jump (or when you've just started your jump) to help you notice one or more enemy ships jumping to finish it off.

Do you:

a) Decide to go in anyway hoping to help the ship

or

b) Cancel the jump

This unfortunately is an scenario that often supply has to face because fleeing damaged ships are tempting targets to all trigger-happy hunters out there, and you face the very real prospect of becoming a target/kill yourself...

So what do you do?

Boy am I gonna get in trouble...!

PS How is this still online??

Email Griller_GT
Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2002-08-16 17:27   
I normaly jump behind him and draw some fire at me.... but still supplying him... well... at least i try.
the best is if u can get someone to defend your supply and who follows you. (like an assault cruiser, torpedo cruiser, manadible, what ever)
so the support attacks the lonley ship and you repair your woundet.

due to the fact that your support normaly comes from behind or from the side... the attacker will be destroyed or at least give up.

this tactic works the best if there are about 3-4 supplys around. 1 supply will stay there while the other 3 supplys jump the woundet ship. the ship will be repaired soon enough that it can jump to your last pos or just jump away. the supply which stayed at your last pos is responsible for ammo reloads and ships who could jump.

to be continued.
i'll try to set up a specific manual about kluth supply and ugto supply

Ice.r@freesurf.ch

[ This Message was edited by: Wicked Ice on 2002-08-16 17:33 ]

remember:48 Nukes are killing a ganglia in approximately 0.112 seconds, depending on your own ping too.

Goto the website of Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
jedi42
Grand Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2002-10-22 20:12   
This is well said Wicked. I think its important to note that by saving people that NEED it you will often net much higher prestige than just mission farming. I see people all the time ignoring an EAD's request for supply with all sys down at 50 hull near battle to go fix a scout because THEY HAVE A MISSION to make 1 prestige and 200 credits or something. I have found you can trick newbs into fixing you by giving them a defend mission as your position (usually only works once unless you cancel the order after you are fixed and they don't notice). It's kind of mean, but it gets supply when you need from those that don't understand how to prioritize what ship to go to. I have even given supply ships missions to fix other dreads in my area that need it more than some people they are supplying (including myself).

I think it's important to note that the supply makes its prestige by supplying. That means the supply must go to and find the ship that needs supply, not the other way. I hate tentative supply ships that aren't there for you when you need it because you're too close to battle or whatever. I'll jump into a heated battle and just fly full speed, avoiding torps and drawing fire, while the same time hitting anyone within 100 gu of me with some sweet green lovin'. hehe
jedi42, darkjedi42, [drunk], hoid o' toitles, evil, rum, cl2k drainer, gdi, {C?}, hive teets, fusion mating, perfect cloud formation, death star, point jump, tractor scout, torp det, def cluster, cloaked elf

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2002-10-23 04:38   
surply noobs should allways rember to take this into their account:

If and expirenced DS pilote jumps or e-jumps out of battel he will as soon as jumps ends go to full speed to prevent alpha strikes on his wounded ship.

so the surply pilote must make sure of his target speed and heading before jumping to him, or he will end up jumping out 500 to 1000 from targets position.

best done by short selecting the target and push the camera gives you and faster update on your target and the surroundings on the nav map.

this also gives the advantage to see if any enemyes allready have catched up to target.

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Deleted
Marshal

Posted: 2002-10-23 05:51   
one thing ive also learned (this may sound dumb) but make sure when a ship ejumps out of battle that there arent many enemies nearby...sometimes when i jump past lots of enemies and stop within sensor range and see im a supply they follow ME, and then the once wounded ship is now dead because i lead the enemy to it

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2002-10-23 09:55   
In that case you generally self destruct on the enemy. The purpose is two fold, sometimes you can bork his systems enough for your m8 to get away, and as an apology. Kinda makes you wonder if your crew sympathizes with that. Probably not.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-10-24 07:57   
Quote:

On 2002-10-23 09:55, WDPFF{RIP-KC} wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder if your crew sympathizes with that. Probably not.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
FarstriderScout
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-26 05:36   
I go by the rule of thumb that if they jump out at 25% hull or below, and someone jumps after them, they're a lost cause. 50% or higher is nice, but at least at higher than 25% I might be able to get them repaired quick enough for them to make a second jump and get away again.

JediKnight
Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-26 06:04   
Ok I have a huge addition to this, some people, Panimu in particular don't realize that a supply is sometimes more useful repairing on person to the point where they can get a depot, and then moving on. Just because JoJimBob over there only has 76 hull and 100 armor, doesn't make him more valuable then Admiral over there in his dread with no engines or systems. If it didn't take 10 minutes to repair a ship I'd say fine, but no this gets people killed because supplies follow missions instead of helping the teammate in the most distress.

tom

Goto the website of JediKnight
NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-26 06:25   
yea that and some missions are not long enough to repair things in time also

FarstriderScout
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-26 07:02   
My .02 on that: I'll take missions when I can... but if I'm not going to make it when I'm repairing player A when I've got a mission clock running on player B, then there are two buttons that come to mind: Ctrl - A. I take more pride in getting someone fixed completely than in gaining pres.

On another note, nothing annoys me more than to jump to someone to repair them, get them up to 75%, and the jump to the gate or log off in front of me (though I realize that maybe they only got disconnected, but I'm still a little annoyed).

PuppetMaster[**]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-26 08:46   
well, im doubting that *noone* knows how to supply. i think my nearly 7k support pres proves that i have at least a bit of a clue...

im really sorry, when i cant help a player to get his/her ships repaired because an enemy jumps in and destroys first the player and -after finishing him- me.

but its not always the fault of us suppliers:

1) often other guys calling for supply but dont jump out of the battle. as wicked mentioned, icc supplies dont have any weapons to self-defend. i dont *ever* jump in a battle with an icc supply. i dont jump in either with an ugto supply. supplies are *always* the first target. i saw dread/ac/tc commanders fighting a player and as i jumped in (some kind of mental weakness and a flash of mercy with the poor player) the attacking ship fires at me. after killing me, he continued shooting at the doomed player i tried to help. killing a supply might be easy but even in the hottest fight there should be at least a bit of honor left. if the attacking ship would send me the hint to go out and he wont touch me, i will go out. but stopping the attack on the other ship only for the purpose to kill a supply, thats lame (and this is especially for the kluth dread commanders!!). i could use some other words, but i think i keep it to "lame"...
btw: noone would attack red-cross vessels in real-life war. and a supply ship is something similar!
conclusion: after sending a supply distress jump out! i wont jump in

2) a player jumped out of battle. i jumped him (yes, i used the manual jump by adding 250 gu) to refit him. after getting his ammo reloaded and his hull to 75% or 80% he jumps back into the battle. WHY??? did he need supply or not? if so, why the heck he jumps back (and wonders why he got killed a second later...). if not, dont call for supply and dont expect that someone will come and fix u!
conclusion: dont call for supply if u dont need to

3) situation: a hot battle in Ind last weekend (or friday?). 2 stations, 7 or 8, a lot of cruisers, 4 supplies. every few seconds someone called for supply. ppl, there were 4 supplies for 2 dozends of other ships. thats 6 ships per supply! we cant be everywhere at every second. we are doing our best (i did my very best, made nearly 2k pres in 3h ). after fixing one ship we will surely jump the next one. and remember one thing plz: we have only 2k res to give. i headed 7 or 8 times back to a depot to get my drone bays reloaded. that takes time, too. some players are that much kind that they start yelling at the suppliers (sometimes by target chat too), they start swearing about the incompetent suppliers, sometimes they just spam supply distresses (i ignore that everytime, i can read, i dont have to see it a hundred times!).
conclusion: plz have patience. noone will be forgotten

4) this is more my (and the other supplies) own benefit: if u see we have the mission to repair u, u can image, we will do everything to get u fixed. so plz dont jump away at 99%! thats really annoying. ok, we make a lot of pres in a supply so 5 or 6 bp wont make a lot. but its not only the bp, its the money too. we all have to make some money, at least for MV. and even if we dont have a mission, its annoying. u cant be that much under pressure to get back into battle that u cant wait the last second. especially when u got fixed for 5 minutes
conclusion: plz be fair. we have a job to do. we know. we *will* do it. but u have to give us a chance to do it properly

greetz
PM

FarstriderScout
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2002-11-26 09:00   
One last point to add to this... many times I've seen the person in need hit the supply distress (usually twice) but immediately get over written by an attack/invade distress call... If you notice this, please, don't hesitate to hit the supply distress again. It aids in us targetting you and I don't think you want us wasting precious moments trying to hunt your name down in the nav screen.

Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2002-11-26 09:13   
Wise words Puppetmaster. I've lost count of the number of times that you've repaired me.

Take heed newbies, the guys who have high supply points know what they're doing and you should learn from them.

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the credits (going in the mv and farming defend missions is infinitely more profitable) you get from missions, so I tend to do this when supplying:

1) Press F2 and have a look at who's ship is damaged the most (there's a small line underneath everyones icon representing hull strength).

2) I'll then centre on that player and see if any bad guys have jumped them. If they have, I'll see if I'm close enough to be able to get there in time to repair their jump drive. If I'm not, then they're on their own. If I can jump to them in time, I'll do so and send a quick message telling them to bug out as soon as their jump drive is repaired. I will then follow them to the relative safe haven that I hoped they've jumped to and finish repairs

3) If they don't have any enemys near them, I'll check to make sure they don't currently have a supply repairing them. If they do, I'll see whether or not its worth me jumping to help out (ie. badly damaged dreadnought = very long repair time with one supply) or if its worth me jumping to someone else (ie. slightly damaged destroyer = short repair time).

I also try to remember who helped me when I was:

a) A newbie who knew nothing about the game (I'm hoping no one still classes me as a newbie, though if you saw how many ships I crashed into Point Blank before realising how big it was, you'd think I still was a newbie!! ) and they took the time to give me advice.

and b) Badly damaged and they jumped straight to me to defend or repair me.

Kindness follows kindness in my books.

Remember ladies and gents, supplying is fun, combat isn't everything, and fleets are twice as effective when a supply ship who know's what they're doing is available.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019713 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR