Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » =DSA= Light Combat
 Author =DSA= Light Combat
Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2003-04-02 05:21   
Light Combat

This topic covers those ships classed as Light Combat vessels (though classing Cruisers as a light combat vessel is debatable). It will explain where the ships should be used, what weapons should be employed, what weapons are effective against them, and a basic overview of the tactics that should be employed.

Basic Principles of Ordnance

The above diagram illustrates the basic principles of the types of ordnance that should be employed by and against each of the ship classes. The left hand column shows the types of weapon that can be most effectively used by that ship type, whereas the column on the right hand side illustrates the weapons that are most effective at destroying that particular type of craft.

Ship to match the enemy

The balance of the ship classes available in Darkspace means that some are better at fighting than others. However, although an Assault Cruiser is a highly effective combat vessel, against say, an anti-sensor scout, it would be nearly useless because it would never be able to hit the target. Thus, sometimes the most effective vessel in a given situation might well be useless in another. Listed below are the most effective ships to use against each of the four light combat vessels.

Vs Scouts – Use Frigates or Destroyers

Vs Frigates – Use Destroyers or Cruisers

Vs Destroyers – Use Destroyers

Vs Cruisers – Use Destroyers

When choosing a target to attack, you should ask yourself three questions.

1. Does my ship have the ability to cause any significant damage to my opponent?
  2. Does my ship have the ability to avoid or absorb the firepower of my opponent?
  3. Will my attack aid my team mates or help us to achieve our goal?

Balancing the answers to the above question will dictate whether or not the current ship you are piloting should attack the enemy. The list above is only a guideline though. Sometimes in battle, even the smallest scout can help to destroy a cruiser, its just a case of judging where and when you can best utilise the weapons at your disposal.

What ship type to use?

Scouts – Scouts should generally be used as sensor boats and fast reconnaissance. They have very little armour and low hull values so only the foolhardy or brave will fly a scout into combat.

Frigates – Currently, Frigates are in a limbo state. There are no particular advantages to using one, with the exception of the ICC Sensor Frigate, which is an effective mine clearer and sensor platform.

Destroyers – In the hands of a skilled pilot, Destroyers can be the best ship in the game, although the ICC Destroyer lacks a bit of punch. Highly manoeuvrable, with good firepower, Destroyers are good all round fighting vessels that can be used against any other type of ship.

Cruisers – Cruisers are like the main battle tank of an army, particularly the ICC cruisers. Well armed and armoured, in the right hands they can be effective against all manner of ships, but really come into their own against dreadnoughts, where their full arsenal of weapons can be brought to bear.

Tactics to use when flying Light Combat Vessels

Scouts and frigates should try to stay out of range of beam weapons and fire from a distance of ~300-400 gu’s, unless you prefer to get your hands dirty, in which case always attack the rear of the target, particularly against Kluth ships. Most vehicles tend to have at least some of their armament as forward facing only, so by attacking from the rear, you can negate at least some of the targets firepower.

When attacking vessels larger than themselves, Destroyers should try to fire their weapons at ranges of approximately 250-350 gu’s. this avoids the beam attacks of the larger ships, and gives you enough distance, and therefore time, to avoid cannon and torpedo counter attacks. Against ships smaller than your own, you should try to get up close and personal to inflict maximum damage.

When fighting Dreadnoughts, Cruisers should stay at the maximum range possible for their weapons, and simply pound away from distance. Against the smaller ships, close the range to give your weapons the greatest chance of connecting.

Essentially, you should try to get as close as possible to ships smaller than your own, but against larger vessels, keep your distance and use your speed and agility to your advantage.

The thing that should be remembered when flying a light combat vessel (with the possible exception of a cruiser), is that you are not an assault ship. Charging headfirst at a dreadnought or station will get you killed very quickly. Use your speed and agility to slowly wear down an enemy. Attack in packs and target a single ship until it is destroyed or flees.

[ This Message was edited by: Captain Caveman*C* on 2003-04-02 05:23 ]

Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-04-02 05:37   
Another good post CC. Lunchbreak?

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-04-02 07:31   
Killing scouts with AM torps is easy

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-04-02 07:37   
um Barthezzzz, i gotta ask, who u been firing those torps at. Any decent pilot in a scout can fly well enough to ensure he/she is never within the blast radius of AM torps.

Now, what really is lethal to a scout are mines. A couple of mines and its insta-scout-death time. Couple that with say Flux Waves, and the scout pilots might as well just go home.

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Page created in 0.008834 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR