No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Why is the multiverse so dull?
 Author Why is the multiverse so dull?
Altheus
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:33   
Having spent the 14 of the last 24 hours sitting in Multiverse I checked my prestige gain and was delighted to see that I gain more playing one 3 hour game in FA than in all that time.

OK a fair amount is due to my reckless loss of ships but the main reason is because of the hours spent sitting watching a mined gate unable to go through because the other side had mined that side.

I'm sure there's a reason but perhaps you could explain -

1. Why is there no safe zone in multiverse. Scintillating as it is to watch a gate perhaps there are other things that one could be doing?

2. Why when you kill someone do they respawn in the system next door, when you first log on you have to start in your home system why do you not have to restart there when you die?

(I know you've already sorted this out with the shipyard system, which by the way seems to work well in Beta).

3. Why do you allow ships to be modified, seems to me you have put hours of work into making ships with a specific weakness (that therefore forces co-operation) only to allow ships to be turned into an over-powerful nightmare where one ship can hold off three with the assistance of planetary defences (mind you it may be that some people worry more about losing prestige than me).

4. Can you not put a system in to balance the sides as in FA perhaps preventing too many people on one side (not necessarily equal) as it seems that no sooner have you taken one planet than overwhelming numbers of enemy ships appear and sit there. Perhaps limit each person's time in the multiverse each day to give a break to those of us who have to live life.

Pimpalicious Nerd {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:35   
Cause Banshee isnt here! thats why!

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:39   
Answer:

If you spent a long time looking at a mined gate, then fly the long way between systems.

If you were afraid to respawn and come out of that gate, then log out, log in, and you spawn at the home system. It takes very little time to fly to a system using gates.

Email Gideon
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:42   
If you don't want to attack a planet that has a bunch of ships defending it, then attack another planet or another system.

Ship rebalance is occuring in v1.482 with a specific eye towards how players will modify them.

Email Gideon
Quistis {C?}
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:47   
Itll get easier as time goes on Altheus and you gain experience. MV takes a bit to get used as opposed to FA, but in the end I tend to find MV more rewarding.

O btw, DS Academt is holding classes for teh newer players which cover a large spectrum of MV related topics. You might wanna check them out. With Mariano steering the ship I'm sure they'll be very informative and fun.

Here's the link: http://www.darkspace.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=16837&forum=13&9

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:55   
Quote:
1. Why is there no safe zone in multiverse. Scintillating as it is to watch a gate perhaps there are other things that one could be doing?

as gideon previously stated, perhaps you could be jumping to that system (i say jumping because as of beta there will be fewer gate, so technically it wont be 'long' jumping). and why there are no gates? cause it would be kinda freaking stupid to just jump to a gate where a supply is safely waiting to give you reps and ammo. thats what planets are for

Quote:
2. Why when you kill someone do they respawn in the system next door, when you first log on you have to start in your home system why do you not have to restart there when you die?

pretty much cause that would discourag team play having to start EVERYTIME YOU DIED, back at your homesytem, especially in a dread and u r going 8 jumps.

Quote:
3. Why do you allow ships to be modified, seems to me you have put hours of work into making ships with a specific weakness (that therefore forces co-operation) only to allow ships to be turned into an over-powerful nightmare where one ship can hold off three with the assistance of planetary defences (mind you it may be that some people worry more about losing prestige than me).

cause modding is fun and it adds some variance in the game. if all ships were stock it would get kinda boring. and i dont think ANY of the ships are "an overly-powerful nightmare" mainly cause a nightmare induces fear and there arent any ships that are scary. overly-powerful... MAYBE.

Quote:
4. Can you not put a system in to balance the sides as in FA perhaps preventing too many people on one side (not necessarily equal) as it seems that no sooner have you taken one planet than overwhelming numbers of enemy ships appear and sit there. Perhaps limit each person's time in the multiverse each day to give a break to those of us who have to live life.

yeah, limiting the people we allow into the MV is NOT a good idea, we WANT as MANY people in there as we can.

also, it is called the metaverse, not the multiverse. the multiverse is a theory in which some physicists think that our universe split into different universes, effectivly creating other dimensions with an unlimited amount of possibilities (think Sliders)

Thank you, have a nice day.

and me thinks this is in the wrong forum.

Today's on fire, the sky is beating above me, and I am blister. I walk these hieghts of blasphemy, every day... Is there no sympathy, from the sun, The sky's still fire... So tell me, What's the, price to pay, for glory!

[ This Message was edited by: Lith Ragond on 2003-05-07 14:56 ]

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-05-07 14:59   
Well from your post the inexperience is screaming out, which is ok if your new. Ill try and help ya out on your issues:

1. There is a safe zone, but it's only at your Home Spawn gate, not the system gates. Those gates are fair game as the universe is vast and minefields can be anywhere. If a minefield is in your way, the logical thing is to go around it. There are other ways to enter a system, such as the long jump, which you probably haven't tried yet if your new to MV. Basically, it's connecting to a system without use of the gate. Just aim in the general direction of the next Star, not AT the star per se, and you'll jump and connect to the next system. if you aim at the star, the jump won't align.

2. If you had to start at the home gate every time, it would take forever to keep flying to far off systems, which would bore most players. It's that simple. Faustus (programmer) did us a favor by only making us start in the nearest friendly system, which seems appropriate since the system is friendly and has the supplies necessary to build a ship.

3. As Gideon said, modding will be changed, much to the chagrin of many current players. I think it's ok to mod, but there have definately been some issues such as tractor scouts and extractors with 3 ecm to avoid detection.

4. I think this issue has been brought up, but it doesn't make any sense. In a real space war, numbers are ALWAYS an issue. 1 side will be able to organize a larger army, its just the way it is. It needs to be kept the way it is for realism.

I hope I helped you out. Hope to see you in the METAVERSE some time. It gets better, a lot better, trust me.

Nubby out

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-05-07 15:00   
maybe someone should mention the words "patch" and "beta" to the poor soul as well

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-05-07 15:56   
The current MV doesn't have all the play options that FA has, that's why. I feel the same way right now.

Scenario server games have a defined beginning, middle, and end. Each team is crammed into 1 map. They each have to struggle to gain dominance, to get those needed resources ASAP, and to hinder the opposition, so the play can get very hectic and sometimes downright frustrating (like the planets you are engineering being bombed early).

I've heard that they're planning to alter the MV so that things like engineering are needed. But until then I find scenario games more intense overall (when there's a good game going that is).

EDIT: when you enter the MV, everything is already done. All planets are engineered, all planets are capped, there may not be any enemies anywhere. Now some people like to not have to worry about capping and engineering so they can just fight all day, but not me. I LOVE the struggle in scenario games. I crave it.

I don't treat DS as just a ship-to-ship space combat game. I treat it as sort of a galactic 'chess match' where combat is just one aspect, and right now scenario games give me that experience the most. Right now being the key words...cuz it will hopefull change.

You can visit www.engrish.com for lucky best English mistakes in Japanese advertising!

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-05-07 16:03 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-05-07 17:12   
depends you your team..

Altheus
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2003-05-08 00:29   
Yes I have only been playing for one month so I am inexperienced and I have played mostly in FA, but I'll trust you and stick with the metaverse.

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-05-08 01:04   
@MrSparkle
There is enough capping, bombing and rebuilding in the MV, it just takes more skill, because the hostile planets are already builded up
Btw, what happends in the 2nd half of the scenario time? Combat, just combat, but MV combat is way more fun because it has way more diversity, you do not know what kind of weapon systems are used by the other side until you get hit by it, maybe it is a minelayer, maybe it has just torps, maybe the enemy has sabots, maybe he has beacons, maybe he has psi cannons....
The MV makes battles possible which could never happen on the FA server, I quit FA about half a year ago, it was too boring, MV is way more fun

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Page created in 0.033575 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR