No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +16.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Alternate means of planet capping, and fleet control of planets
 Author Alternate means of planet capping, and fleet control of planets
conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-05-14 08:27   
Just some ideas I had rolling around in my head -

Planet capping methods:

Standard infantry assault - as current, would be the quickest, most brutal way to capture a planet, not likely to inspire loyalty amongst the planets population.

Fleet presence - Having a superior fleet around an enemy planet for a signifigant amount of time would cause the population to submit. This would be slower than an inf assault, but would offend the population less.

Economic - a fleet could "bribe" a planet away from another faction, either with straight up credits, or with trade goods/raw matierals. This would be the slowest method, maybe even taking several days of periodic funds input, but would be very popular amongst the population.

Fleet control of planets:

Planet maintenence - planets would need to be visited by a member of a fleet periodically(once a day? once every two days?) in order to remain in control by that fleet. If the requirements aren't met, the planet reverts to a fleetless planet owned by the faction.

Ceding planets - A fleet that controls a planet should be able to cede control of that planet to another fleet, this should include cross faction cessions, once the diplomacy system is in.

Annexing planets - non fleet controlled planets would be able to be influenced by same faction fleets(economically? maybe fleet presence) and thus come under the control of a fleet.

Planetary transports - Players in a fleet that control a planet should be able to donate modded ships to a planets starport. Only one could be active at a time, the others would remain in "storage" of the planet, to be used when the current one is destroyed. Any type of ship should be able to be used.

Transport orders - Transports would have 3 types of missions available to them - Defend, Patrol, and transport. Defend would make the ship stay in the general vicinity of the planet (within 500gu) and would PD bombs, etc, as well as limited attacking of enemy contacts(ship wouldn't leave 1000gu of planet). Patrol would make the ship move around in a 5000 gu radius of the planet, if enemy contacts are sighted, the ship would message the fleet that the planet belongs to(i.e. DISTRESS: Enemy contact at Leaph). Transport would be taking raw materiels,etc to other planets.

Transport "attitude" - Transports could be set to different attitudes, agressive, defensive, passive.

Anway, thats it for now, feel free to pick apart, find faults with, or sing praises of any ideas you like/dislike

Email conswirloo [V]
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2003-05-14 09:24   
I would like to add one to the option of capturing it by fleet presence.

When in a battle, and the defending is losing, it should revert to the attackers faster. Because the people would be scared to death.

And with the kluth. The people should not surrender due to fleet presence but because they know they will die, they will defend themselves even more vigoursly

conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-05-14 09:43   
Quote:

On 2003-05-14 09:24, Hyp3rman wrote:
I would like to add one to the option of capturing it by fleet presence.

When in a battle, and the defending is losing, it should revert to the attackers faster. Because the people would be scared to death.

Yeah, good. That would work
Quote:

And with the kluth. The people should not surrender due to fleet presence but because they know they will die, they will defend themselves even more vigoursly

Agreed, and vice-versa, kluth population shouldn't surrender/defect easily(if at all) to human forces. I'm hoping population type will be modeled in the future.

Email conswirloo [V]
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-05-14 19:56   
You would have to have a tag identifying the planetary population type (ICC, UGTO, K'luth), for one.

I think that instead, a population should not be very productive after a capture by a hostile type. After a while, it would start settling down, and after perhaps 4-5 real days a planetary population would change allegiance.

For one thing, we don't have much of a picture of the K'luth underclasses....and nothing says they are fanatics. So I don't know whether or not they go crazy and plug the barrels of the guns with their bodies and such.

Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-09-06 16:50   
this is a old running post

what version is this from ??
Where is the love ? This small planet we inhabit called Earth needs more peace, love and compassion. Without it our species wont be around much longer. We need to learn to love thy neighbour and not be harming and killing one another. MPNW !!

[ This Message was edited by: A2S on 2004-09-06 16:51 ]

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-09-06 18:32   
What the bloody...? This post is old!

This was before I joined!

What is possessing people to flip through ancient, fabled archives written on crackling papyrus and trudge them up from the past?

Sure, they're somewhat nice sounding ideas, but that's besides the point. These are... *counts on his fingers* ....it doesn't matter.

Offhand, this applies to version 1.480... so, yeah. What's implemented now with fleet locking planets and everything basically kinda relates to fleet control of planets.

There you are.

End of story.

There's nothing more to see here.

Stop reviving the dead!

---Edit Made To Look Post Extra Super Duper Pretty.---

[ This Message was edited by: Grimith on 2004-09-06 18:42 ]

Goto the website of Grimith
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-09-06 19:04   
This is a very interesting topic, I like fresh, new ideas such as these.

Puny
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-06 19:32   
Except this post is old.

I REALLY don't like it when people bring back dead topics.

-Puny

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-06 20:00   
Puny I have been goin though the Forums and EVERY time i see Your post Your bashing something or someone. 99% of the time Your posts are negitive toward the posts topic. I have yet to se one that you argee or say something nice. In the words of my mom , I'm going to say. Oh my Goddess I'm going to say it too. "IF YOU CAN NOT! SAY ANYTHING NICE. THEN SHUT THE H UP. ! "

[note to the forum admin:] If you wish to edit out this post TELL ME before hand and I'll edit it. The resone i'm saying this as Puny need to know that this bashing he or she does is not right. I bash thing yea we all do BUT I try to say something else that goes withthe topic and this puny persone does not.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-06 20:05   
on the other hand, this post is very old, so him posting that he doesn't like resurrected posts does seem appropriate..

just a thought.

Email Shigernafy
Roger
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-09-06 20:21   
Quote:

Planet capping methods:

Standard infantry assault - as current, would be the quickest, most brutal way to capture a planet, not likely to inspire loyalty amongst the planets population.

Fleet presence - Having a superior fleet around an enemy planet for a signifigant amount of time would cause the population to submit. This would be slower than an inf assault, but would offend the population less.

Simpliest method by far should be, and has always been, nuking a planet. Remember Iraq? Vietnam? Afganistan? USSR? France? Ukraine? .... List can go on for ever. The problem I am talking about is called guerrilla warfare. Instead of dealing with all thease problems, I think its easier to drop a stack of neutron bombs since in this game UN has been obviously bought off by the following method:

Quote:

Economic - a fleet could "bribe" a planet away from another faction, either with straight up credits, or with trade goods/raw matierals. This would be the slowest method, maybe even taking several days of periodic funds input, but would be very popular amongst the population.

Interasting idea that could be valid under some circumstances, but in most cases Id rather nuke the planet. Cheeper

Page created in 0.034983 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR