No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Scanner. the problem
 Author Scanner. the problem
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:11   
1 scanners detection range is WAY to low.
You cant dodge a mine field at 50Gu distance.

2 ppl dont use them * much * because they will loose the ECCM.
3 It only works for you.

my idea for this is

1 Increase detection range to 100Gu it gives time to warn the fleet

2 Make the scanner effect work for ALL ships in the fleet.

3 Give it ECCM abilety's but only for 500 Gu.

- Axi

Pussy----kat
Cadet

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:18   
are we talking about beta? =^-^=
i know for a fact Scanners can see from about 2500gu away AND have an ECCM ability

only thing i agree with is how they should work for all ships... of the same faction atleast.

Email Pussy----kat
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:26   
Quote:

On 2003-06-17 12:18, Luna Lionheart wrote:
are we talking about beta? =^-^=
i know for a fact Scanners can see from about 2500gu away AND have an ECCM ability.

They dont have an ECCM ability.
They help you see further AND cloaked enemies but ECCM allows your entire fleet to see Cloaked people.
And sure scanners can see that far but they only see mines at 50 Gu away.
Most of the Time this only shows you that you are gonna hit them. (When using cruisers and above)

4000 Forum Posts and Counting!

[ This Message was edited by: ForumGhost on 2003-06-17 12:28 ]

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Pussy----kat
Cadet

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:32   
only see mines from 50gu away.... hmm... thats funny... i sit at my scanning range from a planet and i can see mines right next to the planet

Email Pussy----kat
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-17 12:50   
Increasing the range on scanners would help a great deal. Right now only 2 or more is useful.

Scanners don't have an ECCM effect, they only raise the signature of the ship using it. Scanners allow you to see the surface of a planet from much further away (1 scanner allows you to see it form 1800gu away). And not your own mines Luna... enemy mines. You don't see those until you hit them (which should be changed as well).

Email Tbone
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-17 14:42   
to clarify this a bit. leaving out planets.

scanner: range 5000. the scanner helps detect LOW signature objects at further range then you normally could.
a cloaked ship running a reactor has a signature of 0.3 for example. if you have a scanner, you will probably see him at around 70 gu distance.
a ship with a signature of 2 will be detected at around 5000, instead of just at about 3000 gu.
also, any objects that are detected are obviously visible to every friendly ship as well. this accounts for mines, too. usually, since people tend to run only one scanner, this is relatively useless though. my BD's and CD's always have 2 scanners.

mines have a very low signature too, so you have to get very close to detect them
this works for psi missiles, IT missiles etc as well. a ship with one or 2 scanners can somewhat effectively PD psi missiles.

the scanner does not detect anything with a signature of 0 or less, nor does it increase anyones signature but the users (by 7) himself.

the scanner generally seems a bit underpowered. there have been a few suggestions made in the past about the scanner. none of them have been considered so far, to my knowledge. if you want, i can dig out some links.

Sig Courtesy of JackSwift (Handcrafted Original Artwork)

[ This Message was edited by: Slartibartfast [NewbHelp] on 2003-06-17 14:52 ]

Midnight *FA*
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

From: ICS. Idot (ICC Station) somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Posted: 2003-06-17 14:52   
Ive only ever seen mines from 100 away with a scanner.. =/ .. and i remember the say they were about to detect vessles as the long range unit but increased by a factor of 5 instead of 3.. to many kluth comlpained cause they couldnt match its detection ability so it got removed from that ability...

frankly im so tired of hearing about the imbalance now its pathetic..im starting to look at it this way.. the upcoming patch is an update to CL weapons so kluth can figure out how they work.. and can no longer use them based on bioenergy... just for an example were increasing our tech level to combat them.. AKA were expanding to better combat abilities.. its annoying as heck yea. but the game is supposed to constantly change.. they may have the upper hand now.. but then again at one point they may gain it back after we get it..

for another thought.. maybe more Graphic options should be added. like the ability to further scale down the detail of fighters.. If youve read the dev log recently the fighters have had thier bumpmapping removed and have been scaled down in pixels even farther..That will help everyone.. but maybe a few will still have problems. just not as many as b4.. at anyrate.. just remember the game will only get better ! ^_^

Page created in 0.012467 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR