No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » real scripting that works???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author real scripting that works???
«¤°Dragonfire422°¤»™
Cadet

Posted: 2003-06-27 19:15   
i really want to know how to script but i cant figure it out. I know Bart, you told me something but it still didnt work. i just wanna know how to actually get scripts in and working

Email «¤°Dragonfire422°¤»™
Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2003-06-27 20:10   
if i were nice id tell u how to

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-28 04:09   
Well the script walkthrough in the Storm forum should work :/
It does for me anyway.

Anyhow, Chromix won’t help you with scripting or allow you to talk about it in here.
You have to learn Lua and do a few tricks with it (Jump trough a hoop, stand on 1 hand and walk on water).
Then he will give you access to the Advanced Scripting forum.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-28 08:36   
ummmm... if we arent allowed to talk about scripting in a scripting forum then can someone please tell me why this particular forum is here and is named the way it is????

coz if barth is right then this forum here is quite useless....

and whats so secret in the advanced script forum that is so dangerous they need to have VIP acces to it???

Deleted
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-28 08:46   
Well before he started deleteing everything i got all the informtion i needed but that was a while ago

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-06-28 08:50   
Well Chromix locked the other the normal forum with all scripting related info because people only started to try out scripting if they wanted to spawn Ships or Gadgets.

And they decided not to give any help to people unless they actually learned to script.
This means you will have to show some stuff in Lua and once you know Lua you'll get access to the Scripting forum.

As you can see if this forum we tried to explain that people wanna start somewhere with scripting and that Spawning things is the easiest way to start.
They want Players to learn Lua so they can make Advanced Scripts that might be usefull for the game someday.
1 line scripts that spawn something somewhere/Give you a mission/or a small tutorial is not what they are looking for.
Most players aren’t interested in knowing Lua if they first start experimenting with scripting.

Personally i prefer learning things by opening someone else’s script and ripping it apart to see what does what.

Quote:

On 2003-06-28 08:46, Crackhead wrote:
Well before he started deleteing everything i got all the informtion i needed but that was a while ago

Yeah i already got the Scripting Reference before they removed it from the download list.
Quite a handy file

4000 Forum Posts and Counting!

[ This Message was edited by: Barthezzz on 2003-06-28 08:58 ]

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2003-06-28 11:35   
Quote:
Most players aren’t interested in knowing Lua if they first start experimenting with scripting.
Personally i prefer learning things by opening someone else’s script and ripping it apart to see what does what.

We tried that for a half year. And the result was:
Quote:
1 line scripts that spawn something somewhere

Everything I've seen during that time were those spawn one-liners ripped from the example scripts I placed here for download.
So we had lots of ppl who were like "Wheeee, I can spawn stations and lots of QSBs and...", set up servers which ran those "spawn-everything" maps and invited lots of other players to join them. Since players didn't familiarize themselves with LUA at all they weren't able to do anything slightly more complex than those c&ped one-liners.
That's not the way it works.
So being able to script in LUA is now required for getting access to the DS-Scripting API.

Email Chromix
Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-27 12:37   
this is to Chromix....

I would like to know how to script with Lua, please contact me at my e-mail address. As i know of another game that has Lua in it and i want to know how to script it and thus i can mod homeworld more that i already have. Plus i'd like to scrip my own Fleet training maps.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-27 14:52   
You won't get an email; if you want to learn the basics, there are two threads here at which you can look. They have some tips on where you can look to learn - there is a techincal lua manual, as well as a bit of a book. Check that out first. If you can show some general proficiency, you might get some more help, but in general, we're not going to expend much energy to train someone to mod a different game.

Email Shigernafy
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-27 16:11   
Wasted time, Shig

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-27 16:14   
i give this forum a day b4 its locked

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-27 17:53   
ive tried the lua test thing but once i got to 'tables' i was completely lost

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-04-27 19:58   
heh, I think what hes asking is someone to show him how to get started rather than telling him.

Which is MUCH better than trying to flick through Lua (which by the way wont make any sense until you get halfway through it) and its alot better to try and do something that youve never done before and try to learn it from scratch.

Hello, thats what teachers are for. Some people (like me) actually would like to learn how to script so I can enjoy the fact that I know alot more about something than you origionally thought.

My 2....whatever unit of money you wouild like to pput here.

-Ent

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-27 23:23   
This probably helps:
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory
There are lots of nice lua tutorials on the net btw (google, anyone?).
The link above should give you lots of examples.
I also added it to my "what you need to get started" thread, as the old lua-book link was no longer valid.

Email Chromix
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-04-28 19:45   
This is so much more understandable than the last one Chromix.

Might be partly because it shows some resemblence to Visual Basic...

-Ent

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023109 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR