No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » The Shining Star - By Darksworde
 Author The Shining Star - By Darksworde
Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-07-03 10:47   
The Shining Star - A Short Story

The report had been on his desk for what seemed like hours now, a sketchy analysis from the Lalande sector of some alien ship, simply designated as ‘Kluth’. The document was small, detailing a few sporadic sightings, mainly written off as the drunken antics of a fringe pilot, too long in the deep of space to know the difference between fact and fiction.

However, one section of the report had raised questions back on Earth, enough questions to warrant a ship being sent to Lalande to investigate. A broken transmission from ‘The Wolfshead’, a recent addition to the Lalande Sector Fleet, had been received, detailing that she was under fire from some unknown destroyer analogue, matching the description provided on the ‘Kluth’ ship. The engagement had ended quickly, leaving the Wolfshead crippled, the Kluth Ship moving away and then disappearing from sight and scope. Shortly after, all contact with the ‘Wolfshead’ had been lost.

Pouring himself another shot of Brandy, he lent back, pressing the glass to his lips, the alcohol trickling down the back of his throat, providing the warmth and comfort he feared the next few hours would not provide. As the captain of the UGTO Scout ship, ‘The Shining Star’, his mission was simple. Advance beyond the Lalande gate and into unclaimed territory, investigate the disappearance of The Wolfshead and report back any findings to Sector Command. Hopefully, the Wolfshead was still in one piece, maybe unable to communicate or move, in which case a rescue mission could be mounted and the dreadnought retrieved.

‘Captain to the Bridge’, a female voice echoed through the tannoy, as the lights in the cabin dimmed, an indication that the ship was now shifting into silent running, trying to mask itself from any sensors. Climbing out of his chair, he cycled through why he was needed on the bridge. Had the Wolfshead be found, or at least signs of the huge dreadnought. Or maybe signs of this destroyer analogue, powerful enough to cripple ‘The Wolfshead’, one of the most powerful ships in the fleet. It could possibly even be an ICC fleet, although any recent sightings had been few and far between of late.

Recent ship design had placed the captains quarters adjacent to the bridge, providing quick and easy access in times of need. However, the Shining Star was over 2 years old, meaning that access to the bridge was along a central corridor, a short distance for the captain, giving time to calm and focus his thoughts.

‘No sense in worrying about the unknown’, he told himself, ‘Just be prepared’, as the first in a small series of concussions rocked the ship, tearing at the hull. Steadying himself, he ran towards the bridge, a new sense of urgency spurring him on.

As he entered the bridge, he called out for status reports. He mentally crossed off a few possibilities and arrived at the obvious conclusion, as the first officer confirmed his fears.

‘Captain, we’ve run into a Minefield’, said his first officer, Commander Elizabeth Johanssen, or Beth to her friends. ‘The Jump Drive is down, as are sensors, but we’ve found the Wolfshead, or what’s left of her’.

Sitting down into the command chair, the captain turned to Beth, ‘Order the repair crew to fix the jump drive, and get us the hell away from this minefield. Now, lets take a look at what we’ve found’, as he turned back to the main viewer.

The scene pictured was disturbing. What was left of The Wolfshead was barely recognisable, the super-structure of the dreadnought reduced to a mass of scrap metal and melted debris. The worrying thing was, this kind of damage needed a small fleet of dreadnoughts to produce, so how in the hell could a single destroyer do this.

[ This Message was edited by: Darksworde on 2003-07-03 10:47 ]

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Jade
Cadet
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-07-03 10:58   
Great story!!! I only have one problem with it... I HAVE to know what happens next

Email Jade
'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-03 11:49   
I though I read this like 2 months ago.

Hello Joe! ;)

Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-07-03 12:01   
u did. I reposted it in Fan Fiction. Plus i couldnt find the original link. However Im working on a new story anyway, so eyes open

A Jackswift Original

[ This Message was edited by: Darksworde on 2003-07-03 12:02 ]

Apollo15 {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-03 12:41   
how come i'm still not in your story hehe

still it's a good story

~TJ~

<"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions">

Email Apollo15 {C?}
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-03 15:33   
HEY!!!!

im missing the to be continued sign at the end

still very nicely done.

i can see the poor broken dread slready in my mind :'(

they are the first ones to in a battle and the last ones to come out a battle.
Thus is the destroyers fate.

[ This Message was edited by: Axianda *XO* [Ally I/U] on 2003-07-03 15:33 ]

- Axi

Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-07-03 17:21   
if you can picture the dread, then my job is already done

Page created in 0.013907 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR