Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » HOW TO FLY A DREAD...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author HOW TO FLY A DREAD...
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-09 09:23   
Ok, I have seen about all I can handle of these people with dreads, and not have a bloody right idea of what to do with them, so, here are a few VERY simple guidelines, to help LOWER the amount of times you die (therefore allowing your MORE pres gain):

• KNOW YOUR DREAD! Each Dread is good for one thing or another. You should NOT fly a MD like an AD! A BD not like an EAD! It's very simple people, so I wont bother typing it out here.

• DO NOT jump into the middle of a giant fleet combat. This will only make more enemy make a bee line for the easy pres. Instead, jump to the fringes, and make your way in, giving your J-Drive extra time to recharge.

• DO NOT go full throttle for an enemy ship and just run right over it when you have friends firing on that same ship. WHY? Well holy freaking cow people (this one pisses me off) all you are doing is giving your team FF and letting the guy stay alive longer. As I see it, this is one of the most noobish ways in which to show everyone that you are well... a noob at flying a dread.

• Ok, this is when some semblance of skill comes into play: If you are following behind an enemy ship, DO NOT KEEP FOLLOWING DIRECTLY BEHIND IT! GAH! Why am i telling you this? Cause I have been disabling dread after dread with my EMP mounted on my TC. This actually DOES take skill. If the bloat you are chasing is weaving around, and you hit a mine, chances are they aren't in a straight line, and then you dodging and weaving will only HIGHER the likely hood of you hitting another, so if you hit a mine, veer off in ONE direction until you are out of what was his flight path, and then turn the chase back on.

• If you are chasing someone... THEN THEY ARE ALL FASTER THAN YOU (cant realy chase a station, doesnt really move fast enough to be called a chase). Especially those dessies! Chances are, you'd be better off p-jumping the dessie. Cruisers, well, if it's you and him, you gotta see wether he is trying to run, or just get some easy pres off you, and act accordingly.

• THE P-E-JUMP! This, in a nutshell, if when you have a target that you think is within E-Jump range (wether a planet of yours in which to take haven, or an enemy) you can always point yourself in their direction, and e-jump, the trick is to abort the jump around 2-3k gu, it varies on how much of a delay you usually get when aborting. This is not only useful with Dreads, but any class ship.

• Another thing... KNOW YOUR ENEMY! In DS currently, there is a smaller player base compared to other MMOGs, this allows you to know a lot of the same people. Fly against a wide variety of players, if you find yourself fighting the same person often, look for someone you never recall fighting, and go after them. Soon, you will know who you can take, and who you can't. Also, if you get in a sticky situtation, you can know who to run from, and who not to.

• KNOW YOUR SITUATION! This is the biggest cause for Dread deaths. Someone jumps in, blah blah blah, then tries to run when it is too late. Know when to turn and run. This isn't always when systems are going down, many times, it is when you are a 100% hull/armor.

• A Dread should be take out of your garage/gate, with the INTENTION of staying ALIVE! This will save you more pres than anything. This also means you will make plenty more pres off of those people who don't really care about how many Dreads they lose. Which is utter insanity. Especially with the shipyards coming out. Dreads will no longer have an infinite supply, and if your team mates keep seeing you pull one right after another out, they are going to stop bothering to help you at all. I can't stress it enough, your aim when taking a dread out should be to SURVIVE!

Ok, so there you go, there are my simple lil tips on flying a dread. As stated earlier, I posted this because of the extreme amount of poor dread pilots I have been seeing over the past little while. So please, realize that dread is a heavy peice of machinery, and to drive with care.

Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: Lith Ragond on 2003-07-09 09:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lith Ragond on 2003-07-09 17:54 ]

Deleted
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-09 09:23   
Lose ur caps lock key?

Spiritlift
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-09 09:47   
Quote:

English (General)
General discussions and comments about DarkSpace; English Language.

While This Fits the above description somewhat It Fits another even better

Quote:

Tactics & New Players
Forum to discuss tactics and to ask questions concerning DarkSpace.

/me Pulls out imaginary Magical Modwand & Zaps Thread to Tactics Forum

Goto the website of Spiritlift
conswirloo [V]
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-09 09:56   
new players can't generally fly dreads, spirit

Good post Lith. I find myself doing some of the things you say not to do, but I do it fully aware that I'm gonna die. Can't help it, sometimes I get bored

Email conswirloo [V]
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-09 10:03   
spirit, do you think i did not take that into consideratoin, especially since *gasp* i am one of this forums mods?

LOL@cons, well yes, those are tips for those who do NOT want to die

yes, at points i did lose my caps

UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-07-09 10:52   
Now i dont know if lith posted this above...But if your an only dread with like 5 other enemy dreads, say like 2 EADs, 1 Carrier and 2 Battle Dreads...Its NOT a good idea to run straight through the fleet in a straight line....Especially with a MD or Combat Dread...Or actually any class

Email UnknownWarrior
HellGremlin
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:01   
Ah, another symptom of Fleet Admiral saturation... tons of people gain access to high level ships for which they have neither the skill nor capacity.

'Good day, gentlemen. Time to die.' - Attributed to Warmaster
Harlan Stratholme of the UGTO Strategic Command at the Battle
of Procyon, 2267.

Goto the website of HellGremlin
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:01   
*ZAP*

To Tactics!

*THUNK*

-Dem

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-09 16:54   
Well i still think this is ONE GOOD guide to flying dreads.

Still you forgot to add KNOW YOUR DREAD TYPE.

i've seen many MD's get killed just because they were hunting a TC

- Axi

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-07-09 17:48   
I agree.

Good advice that could probably be used for flying a lot of ships.

Of course, you forgot the best advice: Fly a cruiser, its safer.

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-09 17:53   
LOL@axianda... hehe, that's so... like... DUH... to me, i didnt even think about it

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2003-07-09 20:42   
Funny, today I was about to post on something like this, but Here is an extremely good tip in nearly any battle situation.

The Dreadnought Manuever.

This tactic is almost key when driving nearly any Mid - Short Range Dreadnought, I almost always guarantees you getting you out alive.

Ancient English Chessplayers always said the key to winning is position,position,position.

Or in other words, How you move, turn and to strategize your ship, (in this case dreadys).

This tactic usually only works against Dreadnoughts or Cruisers.

Heres what to do.

• First and foremorst, the object of this manuever is to get behind the ship your after, so usually when your target starts , hes going at you. Group your lasers as group 1, and your torpedos, cannons as Group 2, for easy switching.

• When your target gets into range, fire your torps, cannons, missles, or fighters at your target, cruise at it around 10 - 15gu/sec and continue fireing these weapons until your target is around 200 gu from your current position.

• At this point fire your lasers and anything else, and begin to turn, and keep turning until your facinig the direction your target is heading, if hes on your right, turn right, if hes on your left, turn left.

• As soon as you get behind your target, match its speed and pummel it inmto the ground, as most other ships main weapons are a front mount, they cant really hurt you. Whatever you do, DO NOT LET YOUR TARGET GET AWAY FROM IN FRONT OF YOU.

There you have it, this makes even a modded Gangila turn into the other other white meat.

-Enter

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-07-09 22:16   
However...

If the Enemy is flying aTorpedo cruiser, they may stay far enough infront and simply toss barrage after barrage of Torpedo back at your dread, while turning to avoid incoming munitions. . .personally, that is where I try to stay.

Once the Dread turns to avoid these torpedo, start circling at a safe distance and a reasonably slow speed (to ensure energy). If the cruiser makes the mistake of getting back in range of the Dread, then, well, scratch one cruiser.

Firestorm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-11 21:21   
Just so i don't feel left out. This helps my piloting somewhat -- i kinda figured out the things for myself.

worstnightmare {seraphim}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-21 12:46   
man i this going to save me a few thousand pres, i wondered why "hmm ive got dreads..... they are string,... theyve got cruisers.... they not so strong..... yet me still die......" thanx a lot man i owe you one
http://www.darkspace.net/profile.htm?lang=en&sid=867791861

Email worstnightmare {seraphim}
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027702 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR