No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Smuggler's Gambit
 Author Smuggler's Gambit
GTW
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-18 06:41   
Year: Unspecified, sometime before the discovery of the K'luth...

Smuggler's Gambit

I

The winter chill hits everywhere, including this part of Ocotat. Temperatures drop to negative ten, sending people packing, huddled in their homes.

Not so in Dereysha. Life here still continues.

Dereysha was once described as 'a pool of molten lava in ice'. The high crime, illegal establishments, and other unmentionable factors contribute to this view. Besides this little district, Ocotat is pure and clean.

The Wolf's Den lies somewhere in the outskirts of the city. It is a nice, cozy cafe, where everyone comes once in a while, looking for a good deal. The winter chill blows over, sending several stacks of newspapers flying over the street.

My cup of coffee(apparently still popular) is almost empty, and it is just about time for me to leave. I take my cloak from the chair and wear it on my back. Then, a cold, icy had grabs me on the shoulder.

"Smuggler," he says, a deep-throated voice.

"What do you want?"

"I have a deal for you."

This, of course, catches my attention. It catches everybody's.

"I'm interested."

The dark figure pulls a chair and sits down beside me. A hood conceals his face, and I barely can make out details. Outside, Wolf 359 is setting, and it grows ever darker.

"I have a urdanium trade run for you."

This was new. Urdanium trade runs were so rare anyone who got one was able to become an instant millionaire. Urdanium ore itself is inexpensive. Processed urdanium, made non-radioactive, ups the price a little. But real urdanium on the markets costs a fortune.

Why? Simple taxes. The imperialistic UGTO government charges fifty percent mineral tax on controlled items. Which essentially means every mineral except hydrogen. Illegal trade runs gives the buyer a much cheaper price, yet still high enough for the smuggler to make a fortune.

The catch? UGTO Law gives an instant death penalty to all smugglers doing illegal trade runs. UGTO defences usually catch smugglers before they get to the planet. But I was determined to have an early retirement.

'Which planets?"

The voice turns cold, now.

"Here, and Earth."

That gave the worst possible option. Ocotat and Earth's defences were the best in the entire UGTO Empire. Yet after calculating profits, I stood to gain a hundred million galactic credits. Rumor has it that the Grand Chancellor is worth that much. No challenge would daunt me, I finally decide.

"Deal."

He stretches out his hand, and gives a firm shake. I was destined to become a millionaire-or join the ranks of those who died trying...

To be continued...

Darkspace Interdiction : A Darkspace Fiction Site

Goto the website of GTW
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-18 08:18   
hehehe, nice

Page created in 0.008945 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR