No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Fiction » » Solarity - Prologue
 Author Solarity - Prologue
Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-18 18:49   
Solarity

Foreword:

One thing I want to clear up quickly before I dive into this... This prologue, and the chapters to come after it, are based loosely off of the DarkSpace back story offered on the website, as well as the Galactic Navy back story offered on our web site. It is not written to be compatible with other players’ fiction, including those in GTN (such as Lith).

I’m just going to write this as I go. I’m also working on my own book right now, in my own cosmology (which is fantasy cosmos, not sci fi), so I may be slow to get these chapters out.

I hope you enjoy it.

Prologue:

Van Maanen’s Star.

Discovered in 1917 by Adrian van Maanen, 14.4 light years from the Sol system. With the advent of the UGTO in 2024 and a galaxy of valuable resources at its fingertips, NearStars and FarStars alike had become targets for exploration and colonization so that the exponentially expanding population of Sol and its neighbors of the UGTO could be supported.

In 2013, advanced “Starscan” telescopic technology took visual confirmation of the theorized existance of a gas giant two fifths the size of Jupiter, named Balder for James Balder II, who discovered it. Shortly thereafter, two fully formed companion planets both around the one half the size of Earth, Gefjon and Ran, were discovered in orbit. No more planets were initially detected, but the Mercury-class Ran and the Pluto-class-R Gefjon were more than enough to excite the eager and young explorers-to-be.

In late 2076, Van Maanen’s was the topic of a major Trade Organization summit at Olympus Mons. The systems of the UGTO were running short of a major Plutonian metal and vessel power component known as Urdanium. Urdanium was necessary to power FTL drives for the extended periods of time that true starships required. At the summit, a scientist presented the strong possibility for the existance of the rare metal on Gefjon and it was decided that a scout craft would be sent to Van Maanen to chart a course for the laying of a Jump Gate. After all, while the system was classified a FarStar, Van Maanen was closer than any other FarStars and had yet to receive even its first exploration. It seemed as if the lonely white dwarf and its rocky, frigid planets were an ‘easy’ unknown frontier. The mission became known as Project Solarity.

However, before it could officially commence, the First Stellar Conflict erupted in February of 2077 and all human resources were diverted into either carrying out covert assaults and dogfights or researching ways to improve the tactical capabilities of the vessels involved in said clashes. The potential of Van Maanen’s was forgotten in the foray of war rallies and research conventions. It would not be until the ICC had fully fortified the FarStars for war in 2126 that the demand for sustained long-range FTL capability once again brought Gefjon and her mother star into the spotlight.

At long last, a Long Range Scout, ST-04 Solarity, was launched in mid-2127. After a long wait, Van Maanen was about to receive what the UGTO thought would be her first visitor.

Unfortunately, they were sorely mistaken.

---

“This is Solarity to Olympus, transmitting on coded frequency Osiris-22. Please accept clearance codes and open a channel.” the captain of the Solarity sat expectantly in his chair on the bridge. Various lieutenants and ensigns, the only other crew aboard the tiny vessel aside from the engineers, sat at their own stations with a calm impatience that matched that of their captain’s. The ship was so small that the crew’s quarters lined two short hallways on either side of the ship leading from the bridge to the engine room.

Their heads earned and theirs twitched, all seemingly at once.

“Osiris-22 Cleared. This is UGTO Olympus Command responding, Solarity. How’s the weather out there, Captain Stewart?” the warm face of Vice Admiral Richard Sanders greeted them from Mars. Captain Stewart smiled back.

“Absolutely incredible.” he responded. He tilted his head downward from the forward-ceiling mounted viewscreen to the force-field-shielded Starglass “Solar Windshield” that all UGTO scout-class ships were equipped with. Because the vessel was so miniscule, the bridge fit into the entire front of the vessel, allowing for a full, curved, panoramic window looking out in front of the ship. It had been the secret joy of scout pilots for years.

It was now a particular delight for Stewart. In front of the Solarity was a brilliant but pint-sized flicker of white light surrounded by a nebulous cloud of colorful gas, whose curves and contours were accented by the light of Van Maanen’s star. Balder could be seen nearby, a spherical mesh of blue gases similar yet much darker than the gases around the star. Gefjon could be made out in the distance by the orange light bouncing off of her rings.

“We’ve arrived, sir, and dare I say it was worth the journey.” said the Captain as he almost reluctantly tilted his head away from the glass and toward the smiling face in the viewscreen.

“Glad to hear it, Captain.”
“We are setting course for Gefjon now, and will report back once we have sighted in an appropriate jumpgate path from Wolf 359.”
“Understood, Captain. Thank you for reporting in. It’s good to know that you’re safe.”
“Thank you, sir. Good to hear from you, as well.”
“Good luck, Solarity. Olympus out.”

The captain smiled as he took another breath in, taking with it another splendorous view of Balder and the star in the distance.

“Lieutenant, set a course for Gefjon and bring the surface scanners online.” commanded Stewart.
“Yes, sir.”
“Engage Tachyon Drive.”

A brilliant blue flash lit up the space around the Solarity, and in an instant, a similar blue flash lit up the icy surface of Gefjon.

“Bring us into orbit and commence scanning. I’m going to my quarters for a moment.”
“Aye, sir. Scanners are online,” there was a brief pause as the ship’s drives maneuvered her into place, “and we are in orbit.”

Just as the captain rose from his chair and headed for the bridge exit, the lights on the bridge went crimson red and the haunting sound of a proximity alarm flooded his ears. In a building rush of fear and adrenaline, he scurried back to his command.

“Report.” he demanded.
“I can’t detect any vessels, sir, but we are receiving a hai---” the Lieutenant at the tactical position was interrupted by the sound of a channel forcing itself open.
“Transmit this as recorded to Olympus.” Stewart ordered, somewhat nervously.
“Transmitting.” came the reply, just before the man spoke.
“This is the M-245 Wardog of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation. Deactivate your drives and prepare to be boarded.” the voice sounded cold and unwavering.
“Rebels? What the hell is the Confederation doing here?” asked the Captain, nervously.
“Sir, I’m detecting four structures on Gefjon’s surface. It appears to be a mining colony.”

The Captain punched a button on the arm of his chair and took a deep breath.

“This is Captain Jonathan Stewart of the Solarity. We are here on a mission of peaceful exploration. We apologize for our intrusion, and we ask that you reveal yourselves so that we might negoti---”
“This is the M-245 Wardog of the Interstellar Cultural Confederation. Deactivate your drives and prepare to be boarded.” came the same relentless voice.
“Did he say M-245?” asked the captain of his lieutenant. “I don’t remember learning of any hull class with that designation.”
“The number isn’t in our computer, sir. Wait.... there she is.” and at the push of a button the clear, dark image of a Constellation-class ICC Cruiser filled the viewscreen.
“A new model Cruiser?” the captain was visibly sweating, the drops on his forehead illuminated with a dark red with each flash of the bridge‘s alarm lights.
“Trade Organization vessel Solarity, this is your final warning. You will power down your drives or face destruction.”
“Helm! Set a course for the nebulae around the star and engage Tachyon Drive!” Stewart ignored the Cruiser.
“Setting course now.”

The scout whirled about on all of its axes as it turned to jump. The unmistakable, reassuring sound of an FTL drive warmup permeated the bridge and the engine room, only to reverse itself into silence.

“Drives are not functioning, sir!”
“Why the hell not?!”
“I don’t know! They’re showing inoperative, but absolutely nothing is wrong with them!”
“Engine Room, what on Earth is g---” the captain was interrupted by a succession of brief, bright flashes emanating from the image on the viewscreen.

A horrible silence beyond words filled the bridge as three red, glowing bulbs of brilliant light grew and grew in size on the viewscreen. The captain slowly lowered his head once again, first to the Comm station as he watched the indicator of the transmission to Olympus Mons, then to the Starglass panorama of Van Maanen’s system.

He took in the view once more. The peaceful, dying white light of the star filling the bridge was slowly superseded by a strengthening, bright red glow.

“...not all is lost...” he muttered.

The Solarity went up in a burst of fuel-powered flame, then imploded on itself and became nothing more than a collection of burnt rubble drifting near the rings of Gefjon. The Communications device, largely intact, flickered its last few activity lights before powering down and fading into the blackness of space.

``We are the GTN. You will be resupplied. Resistance is optional.``

[ This Message was edited by: Demorian on 2003-07-18 20:24 ]

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-07-18 19:40   
Don'tcha just hate those Dictor Bases?

Email Jim Starluck
Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-18 20:59   
OH! nice though you write better in the fantasy setting imo

Depthcharge
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-21 11:08   
oooOOoOoOo Nice, hope to read another chapter too.

History Is Written By The Victors

Email Depthcharge   Goto the website of Depthcharge
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-21 13:29   
whoooooo

nice VERY nice

- Axi

thebold
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-07-21 14:06   
not bad you need a little more on the fight tho but nice story so far maybe some sorta intro anyway thats my critisisum

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-21 15:00   
Heh... @thebold...

I never insert a big battle where one is necessary. I write whatever battle is needed to convey the emotion I want. In this case, I want you guys to feel the ruthlessness of the Assault Cruiser against the defenseless scout.

Battle?

What battle?

-Dem

``We are the GTN. You will be resupplied. Resistance is optional.``

[ This Message was edited by: Demorian on 2003-07-21 15:21 ]

Depthcharge
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-21 16:11   
...."We dun need no stinkin battle"

History Is Written By The Victors

Email Depthcharge   Goto the website of Depthcharge
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-21 16:43   
Quote:

On 2003-07-21 16:11, Depthcharge wrote:
...."We dun need no stinkin battle"

nope a massacare would do just fine

- Axi

Page created in 0.016125 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR