No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » PCM & Bomb craters
 Author PCM & Bomb craters
Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-19 11:28   
Simply for eye-candy, whenver a bomb or PCM hits a planet, it should leave a visible crater on the planet's surface (small little ones for bombs, and hugh ones for PCMs)

I've always wanted a picture of a hugh PCM crater covering North America

thebold
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-07-25 08:27   
lol

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-25 08:29   
Keep in mind the current disproportions of the planets when you say that. As big as their explosions may be, they are only about the diameter of a scout or frigate. This would not cover all of America, and I certainly hope the planets will be upgraded to a realistic size in a patch or two.

I do like your idea, though. Next time Faustus does a graphics upgrade patch (hopefully with planet changes ), maybe he can put that in.

-Dem

``We are the GTN. You will be resupplied. Resistance is optional.``

[ This Message was edited by: Demorian on 2003-07-25 08:31 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-07-25 12:51   
Wow realistic planet sizes. I'd like to see that too, but imagine just how HUGE the systems would be? I'm not sure this would be playable anymore You know because if you have realistic planet sizes, you'd need more realistic planet distances too. Not TO SCALE but more realistic.

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-25 14:22   
@MrSparkle Why shouldn't they be playable? The object count stays the same...

I am looking forward to different sizes as well

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-25 15:02   
The jump drives will of course need to be re-designed.... Faster, farther...

Oh, and the CL 1000 should be a medium beam weapon... Its fairly close to the Disrupter in damage rateing...

The Engineer that could.

[ This Message was edited by: Baikon on 2003-07-25 15:03 ]

Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-25 16:18   
If all the planets are going to be realistically sized, there should be some consideration put into making more than 32 structures.

Malduc

Honor Is All

DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-25 16:31   
would realistic sizes make every earth planet the size of jupiter? Jupiter the size of Sirius and Sirius the size of?

Email DaMadCow
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-07-25 19:50   
I mean unplayable as in HUGE planet sizes and HUGE systems. Some systems like Sirius already feel too large, imagine having to vastly increase their size along with the planets' sizes?

Planets the size of Af and similar would become asteroids (little ones). Big gas planets may equal Mars or Mercury, and forget about Neptune or Procyon 13-1555 or our bigger colony planets, they'd fill your entire screen. And the new realistic gas planets? If the current ones were a pinhead...the new ones would be a basketball. One gas planet would take up the entire nav screen (because we all know Earth is just a small speck in Jupiter's red storm, and that's just a small part of Jupiter)

And with that scale in mind, try to imagine stars...

We already can't even see the very top and bottom of gas planets when we orbit them; imagine if our SMALL planets suddenly approached that sort of size, and the larger planets got even bigger?

And the funny part is, the REAL change to gameplay would come from the vastly increased system sizes we'd need to keep the new planets from touching each other! It would require a total jumpdrive overhaul, along with ship speeds and the fact that entire fleets only occupy a small sector of a (current) system anyway...then multiply that system's size by a hundredfold or more...whew.

It would definitely look amazing, but I don't know about playing in that kind of environment. Remember that the current scales are in the interest of playability.

I do like your idea though Dem I just wonder if it's feasible. Or if maybe I'm taking your ideas of more realistic planet sizes to the extreme lol?

EDIT: I say systems' sizes will need increasing because of this: think of what would be required if Luna and Earth were made considerably larger. Or Titan and Saturn. Or the Procyon 3 trinity. They'd need to be placed farther apart according to scale which would then snowball to just about everything in the system. Hence, either much larger systems would be required or every planet is a whole lot closer to each other than now if not overlapping.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-07-25 19:54 ]

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-07-25 21:09   
also as i understand it making planets bigger would mean adding more construction spaces, increasing inf and building max. so it would probably make alot of lag

Demorian
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-07-25 21:14   
No, actually. I don't think there would be any need go beyond the current 32 structures, 32 inf setup we have in 1.481. We may not even need to add more slots for landing/building. Just stretch out the slot distribution.

-Dem

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-07-26 02:19   
Why make the planets bigger, just make the ships Smaller

lol well anyway i agree, it should be more to Scale. thats one of the Selling points to the game for me. MV STAR systems are based on what we as mankind know. I would Have [b]NO[/n] problem playing a game like DS if these changes were made. Id probably enjoy DS more.

( my brother laughs everytime he sees how our solar system looks, for some reason he gets a big kick at laughing at the Scale of the earth and the moon )

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-26 02:22   
Hmmmm this has been discussed many times before. It is impractical for current DS, though I think Faustus said something about DS2...

[ This Message was edited by: Horrible Hip-waders on 2003-07-26 02:23 ]

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-26 04:37   
Anyway, compare pictures in space with pictures in DS (I guess most of you haven't been in space yet )
Imagine a travel from Earth to Mars for example, Earth will disappear very fast, you won't be able to see it the continents from Mars like in DS.
Or take Venus-Earth distance...If you take a look from Earth to Venus in real life it seems to be about as big as a star (if it's in the correct position)
Now take DS...Venus seems to be about half as big as earth, the distance might be about 20 diameters, I don't know how much it is in reallife, but Earth's diameter is about 6500km and the distance to the moon is not 13000km...

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2003-07-26 05:03   
If DarkSpace ever becomes the game it has the potential to be then bigger systems sizes would definately be required. Just imagine trying to fit 100+ ships into a current sytems... it would be packed... now up that to 200+, hell you wouldn't be able move. I agreed that with curretn player numbers then the system sizes are fine. But with more players you could easily scale up the system sizes and I think people would hardly notice the difference. Scaling the current equipment to suit a new scale wouldn't be all that difficult. About the only things that would need adjusting are jump drive distances and maybe planet defenses. I would be ok with the systems being about twice the current size and jumping at the same speeds as we do today. As for the number of planet buildings.. I believe that then number or structures you can build may be upgraded anyway. Agin, the current limits ae in the interest of playabilty. More players mean different limits are necessary.

Goto the website of Drafell
Page created in 0.024329 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR