Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » Scripting Question
 Author Scripting Question
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-21 18:22   
Dont worry, you wont have to move this to the private forum.

All i want to know right now if it would be possible to spawn/remove jumpgates, Wormholes and planets using Ds scripting?

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-22 02:07   
Quote:

All i want to know right now if it would be possible to spawn/remove jumpgates, Wormholes and planets using Ds scripting?

Currently, you cannot spawn any of those items, and I don't think you can remove them, but I'm not entirely sure.
There are some changes to the scripting system with the new patch, but I don't know what they are at this moment, so those abilities may have been added, but I'd doubt it.

Email Shigernafy
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-22 02:47   
Curious question:

Would it be possible to 'place' the wormhole graphic, say, and the script the movement of ships to elsewhere based on that point?

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-22 04:48   
Quote:

On 2003-07-22 02:07, Shigernafy wrote:
Quote:

Currently, you cannot spawn any of those items, and I don't think you can remove them, but I'm not entirely sure.
There are some changes to the scripting system with the new patch, but I don't know what they are at this moment, so those abilities may have been added, but I'd doubt it.

hmm dang.
I need some form of Gate that can open after a certain amount of time. :/

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-23 02:28   
No, you couldn't place a graphic placeholder.. you could spawn an item at a random point and then have the ships position change when it gets near the item, but that's a bit odd...

And that would also require a constant check of the position of all ships relative to this object, which takes up processing power.

As for Barth's note, yeah, stuff like that would be nice but I don't think its possible at the moment...
If you just needed to warp the ship at a certain time, that's possible... but you can't make a jumpgate appear at a certain time to do it.

Perhaps Chromix can add some fancy stuff like that to the system... but I doubt that'd be coming any time soon.. :/

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2003-07-23 02:30 ]

Email Shigernafy
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-23 04:08   
Nah the Ship Transporting wouldnt work to well.

Anyhow, i was thinking about creating a map that has the darkspace version of Capture the flag.
Each team would have a planet that has a few builds on them when the map starts.
And some stuff they could use to mod.
I would use infero planets to box 2 Planets and 2 jump gates in.

Then after 4 or 5 either a planet would be remove with a script or a jumpgate would be placed allow ships to access the enemy "base"

The timer would allow teams to talk about tactics, drop a few mines for defense, Decide on what ships to fly, etc.

Of course there would be a 2nd problem, for gameplay reasons certain ships would have to be turned off, Like the Engineering ships to prevent people from rebuilding their planet once the enemy bombs it.
Buildings that are gone should be gone

Ahwell, Perhaps in the future this would be possible

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-24 09:44   
Quote:
if it would be possible to spawn/remove jumpgates, Wormholes and planets using Ds scripting?

Yep, you can remove those, but I wouldn't recommend to do so though. The game assumes Planets/Jumpgates to be static objects.

Quote:
you could spawn an item at a random point and then have the ships position change when it gets near the item, but that's a bit odd

Yes, but it would work more or less (might be a bit tricky to get around desyncs).

Quote:
for gameplay reasons certain ships would have to be turned off, Like the Engineering ships to prevent people from rebuilding their planet once the enemy bombs it

No problem to do so, how about simply slapping all Engineer ships into Sol ?

Email Chromix
Page created in 0.013269 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR