No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Psionic Web & Power-sat
 Author Psionic Web & Power-sat
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-25 15:14   
Bringing a couple of suggestions back from the dead hmm

i've got more but this is a good start.

STRUCTURE: Orbital Psionic Web
FACTION: K'luth
POWER: -60
WORKERS: 12
BUILD TIME: Six times Fighter Base. Build module required. ONE PER PLANET.
MATERIALS: 4000 Metals. 1000 Heavy Metals. 50 Darkmatter. 100 Cyrometals, 100 Oxygen.
RESEARCH: Orbital Industrial Base (Double the time of Industrial Economics. Industrial Economics required.) , Applied Psionics. (Same as AMJ. All techs with "Psionic" in them required.)
VULNERABILITY[/b]: Psionic satellites are very vulnerable. However, their hull value is similar to that of a frigate+30%.
FUNCTION: The Orbital Psionic Web functions as a communications and defense system for K'luth worlds. A "Base Station" structure is created, which, in turn, can create up to 3 orbitting Psi-sats. Any None-K'luth (INCLUDING friendlies) ship that approaches within 450 GU of an Psionic satellite begins experiencing malfunctions due to psionic confusion. Target locks cannot be maintained, as all contacts begin to blink in and out. Additionally the ship begins to respondly sluggishly to commands (Half turning speed, half acceleration) , and systems randomly take damage due to impossible tasks put to them by confused crew members. Crew numbers drop due to accidents. Weapons fire at random. Psionic satellites cannot be detected from further out than 400 GU by any means excepting visual. The sensitive nature of the psionic effect involved precludes cloaking on the satellites.

In peacetime, Psionic Webs serve as stellar communications centers utilizing powerful Psionic Amplifiers. But in times of conflict, their powerful Psionic equipment is used a little more creatively....
While there is no true 'mind control' done by the Psionic Satellite, what it does instead is create a sort of mental 'background static' that makes it very hard for anyone to think.

STRUCTURE: Power Satellite
FACTION]: All
POWER: 3x Solar
WORKERS: 3
RESEARCH: Solar Power, Orbital Industrial Base (see above)
BUILD TIME: Four times Solar. Requires Build module.
MATERIALS: 150 Cyrometals, 2000 Metals, 250 Urdanium.
VULNERABILITY: Can be shot with Ship-to-Ship weaponry and destroyed.
FUNCTION: Heavy-duty Power production for safe worlds. Watch out for raids, though.
VISUAL: A satellite placed in space (coded like very tall structure?). Projects blue beam downwards to 'base station'.
STUFF: Solar power satellites provide far more power for peacetime pursuits, as they receive far more light-per-area and are much less limited in terms of the amount of area they can deploy, and are also not weather-dependent. They are very popular in the frontier sectors. Unfortunately, most planets cannot construct them, as they lack the spacelift capability. They are also very vulnerable to attacks, and so are not used in sectors that need to be fortified.

Another way to do them is to create a 'base station' structure only, which itself has an option to build a Solar Power satellite.

[ This Message was edited by: Horrible Hip-waders on 2003-07-25 15:16 ]

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-26 02:19   
Bumpp.

DaMadCow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-26 03:28   
what i think people need to realize is that just creating an upgrade that costs more but does like 102384023 times whatever the thing is supposed to do wont work. The old structure/item will fade away and the new super item will be the only thing used.

Email DaMadCow
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-26 04:32   
If you are speaking of the power-sat.

It is extremely vulnerable - it can be destroyed by ship to ship weaponry. Not just bombs, like regular Solar Gens. So it is only for secure areas.

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-26 04:51   
Noone will build orbital power stations, there are NO safe planets

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-07-26 04:54   
In the new MV i don't see why not- and the benefits are large.

It's an option. Would be interesting. A Pair of Powersats could, in the right place, provide power for a whole planet.

Perhaps they should be a little tougher-- but I still think it's an interesting idea. High risk for high benefit.

Also there were other ideas that would go with it and complement it, but I decided they all needed to be reworked a bit.

Another thing-- solar sats should probably not be detectable except from short range.

[ This Message was edited by: Horrible Hip-waders on 2003-07-26 04:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Horrible Hip-waders on 2003-07-26 04:57 ]

Page created in 0.009203 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR