No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » DualCpu or 1Cpu???
 Author DualCpu or 1Cpu???
Spiritlift
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-25 19:26   
As i am Reinstalling Everything i am Wondering which would Work Better For Darkspace ?

Dual 460mhz Celeron Cpu total 920mhz
or
Single Celeron 900mhz

Both Hold 512mbram

Thoughts & Comments Appreciated.

Goto the website of Spiritlift
bdubs
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-25 19:32   
think 1 cpu would be best as i don't think ds supports hyperthreading (i believe that is what it's called)

The Reaper
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-25 19:46   
Since Celerys aren't really designed for SMP operation, the single CPU would be better.

Also, I believe the dual CPUs would be running on a 66MHz FSB most likely, whereas the 900MHz processor should be at 100MHz FSB

Besides, a dual CPU system can sometimes be actually slower overall than a standard omni-processor PC as with each additional processor the performance gain is reduced.
i.e. the base CPU is used 100%
Additional CPU is used approximately 80% maximum, as the overhead for using the additional socket and the sharing of mobo resources causes a loss in performance.
So although it may seem that you would be getting the equivalent of a 920MHz PC, you would only be getting approximately 830MHz of raw processing power from the dual system - and that is only with both CPUs working flat out, which rarely happens either.

I could go into more detail, but it's late and I'm tired so !

Spiritlift
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-25 19:52   
Thanx Reaper

Goto the website of Spiritlift
'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2003-07-25 23:47   
I think 2 CPUs cannot work on one program, 2 cpus are more for buisness applications such as multiple windows, Dual CPUs would not be able to do DS at once. I would stick with the single CPU.

-Nuke

Hello Joe! ;)

Warpath81
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-07-26 02:39   
omg that is a cool sig....

sorry for OT

Email Warpath81   Goto the website of Warpath81
peanutbutter
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 08:36   
here are some basics for cpus:
the major difference between celerons and pentiums is that the celerons have 50% less lv2 ondie-cache then pentiums (that's why they are cheaper).
only a few applications using both cpus like photoshop/maya
2 cpu-configuration is only necessairy if u are using the comp as a file/webserver or have a ds-playerserver running, then there is indeed a dramatic increase of performance visible.
generally select 1 cpu-sys with 512kB or greater ondie lv2 cache or higher for games and 2 cpu-sys for servertasks or remote access (2x500MHz is then way more faster then a 1x2GHz).

Email peanutbutter
Selvarian {IMC}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 09:34   
First, DS isn't multiprocessor-aware, and its threads will not, by default, run across multiple CPUs. As such, if you run it on a dual CPU 460MHz system, it will run only as fast as a single-CPU 460MHz system. Put simply, programs must be designed to take advantage of multi-processor architectures to see any benefit from them. However, if you wanted to run DS and other program(s), it is possible to set the other program(s) to run on the second CPU, and DS to run on the first. The procedure is not intuitive, and can get fairly technical. So, I wouldn't worry about it unless the situation applies to you.

Second, to correct a (little bit) of misinformation above:

Quote:
Since Celerys aren't really designed for SMP operation, the single CPU would be better.

[The vast majority of] Celerons are just as MP-capable design-wise as their P2/P3/P4 "big brothers" (not sure about the latest ones, but since spirit isn't referring to those, it doesn't matter here). The only caveat is that Intel does not "support" their use in MP systems. Designed for MP, yes; marketed/supported for MP, no.

Quote:
Also, I believe the dual CPUs would be running on a 66MHz FSB most likely, whereas the 900MHz processor should be at 100MHz FSB

Well, with a decent HSF, most Celerons can easily run at 100MHz FSB. I have an Abit BP6 with two 333MHz Celerons running at 100MHz FSB in a dual config, and they've been working fine for over 2 years now.

Quote:
Besides, a dual CPU system can sometimes be actually slower overall than a standard omni-processor PC as with each additional processor the performance gain is reduced.
i.e. the base CPU is used 100%
Additional CPU is used approximately 80% maximum, as the overhead for using the additional socket and the sharing of mobo resources causes a loss in performance.

Actually, that is only true WHEN you are running MP-aware apps and are rating their performance in such a configuration. With SP-aware apps (or MP-aware apps running in SP mode), there is no significant performance drop. DS on a 500MHz dual-processor PC will run just as fast as on the same machine without the second processor. But, other than that, you are correct.

Quote:
I think 2 CPUs cannot work on one program, 2 cpus are more for buisness applications such as multiple windows, Dual CPUs would not be able to do DS at once. I would stick with the single CPU.

Actually, one program CAN utilize 2 CPUs at the same time; it's just that it has to be designed and written to do so from the start. DS *could* be written that way, but it is an AWFUL lot of hassle for incredibly little return for the players, since hardly anyone plays DS on a dual CPU machine right now, and for quite some time into the future.

-------------------------

Hope that helps clear up any further questions on the topic.

Founding Member - Interstellar Mercenary Corps

Email Selvarian {IMC}   Goto the website of Selvarian {IMC}
Page created in 0.198572 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR