Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » me, once again.
 Author me, once again.
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-25 13:57   
this time i'd like to check on the implementability of a ctf mode, and the way i have it in mind it is probably doable.

obviously in order to do so id need to know how to implement the re-dropping of the flag and similiar things.

also id like to know if there is an iterator or anything similiar available over the loaded objects, in order to make automated respawning of gaifen AI feasible. (if im given the possibility, id like to help lith with proper scripts for his events)

since i do not have a photographic memory i dont remember all details of the scripting api, the reference documents for which i had lost in a significant HD loss while back.

havent touched lua since a while now, but since im not aiming to implement some wicked abstract models, i dont think that will be a problem.

so, im asking politely again if i could be given access to the holy grail (aka scripting api reference).

thank you for your kind reply.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-28 14:18   
Sorry, but why dont you just directly tell me im not wanted, and for what reasons?
Or is scripting now staff only?

Patrowsky
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-28 14:56   
well...only staff can activate scripts.

but i think we need to bumb this one until someone doing mostly of the scripting will read it

Good Old EU Admin AD

Email Patrowsky
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-29 15:23   
well, thanks pat, for at least caring, but this isnt the first time i posted here, most likely the last though.

and yes, i was in contact with chromix, and i did the tests.

however, we talked about some totally abstract lua 4 code that emulates classes and inheritance, and i couldnt run it because lua 4 was no longer available on the net. he asked me if i wanted to port it to lua 5, and i started looking into it, but quickly found out that the concepts applied are no longer directly portable to lua 5.
since i was still new to lua, i was going to concentrate on practical scripting, namely featured scenario maps.
i asked if he could make the binaries of lua 4 available, since DS still ran lua 4, and i needed a testing platform (a matter of minutes) but never got another reply since.

a few months later he put the binaries in the staff dir a while after it got fixed, but i still havent got any response yet.

so now i have the lua binaries, the lua mailing list, the lua documentation, and already forgotten almost everything i read back then.

while it might be understandable that he is a busy person, i dont see why my constant attempts to put some creative input into this game are so totally beyond the dev teams interests that they would not even allow me to work on them for myself.

ive given up on the advanced scripting forum since a while now, and i had given up on obtaining the reference, too.
however, liths events got me going again, and i wanted to help him.

well, its all a moot point now, since i wont be resubbing.

PS: only staff can /run scripts, but that is not neccessary to put scripted functionality into the game.

[ This Message was edited by: Baron von Richthofen on 2003-09-29 15:25 ]

Page created in 0.013571 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR