No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - UntenHund

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Official New Map Discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Official New Map Discussion
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-01 22:50   
The maps I played : Epsidon Eri, Thor and Karian Ra

Less is more

That should be the motto for both Epsidon and Thor...

Thor succeeds marvolously...small, but sweet map. Realistic and a welcome addition to the MV (lets make it an UGTO map... )

Epsidon Eri is too much. No offense to the author, but, this map is too much without the same care put into it as Thor. Why are there no names to the planets? I do not believe this will be a welcome addition without some modifications...those being:

The physical impossibility of that many planets evolving with that many stars.

The extreme movemnet of the gates and planets

The reduction of Terran planets

Name them...and choose a theme and stick with it

Tried and true

Kirian Ra: Very well done. Seems a bit cliche at 1st with the three clusters for the three factions, but at closer inspection, these clusters are far from equal.

Well balanced...and large...Jumping between clusters takes 20-40secs, as it should... this will be a very nice addition to the MV... The clusters arent overwhelming as they are in Luyten or Bernards Star...but good enough

---------------------------------A point of contention-----------------------------------------

Sol's planets are named after the Roman equivilant of Greek Gods. Western Gods. No hassel there, the west was the first to truely study them (though 2000years after they were named) so why not...

It would be remiss of us to believe that the next few solar systems would not be named in a similiar fashion.

In fact, there is already debate over which culture gets their Gods/cultural figure's names attached to the planets in orbit

Hindu Gods: Brahmin, Ganesh, Shiva, etc...

Norse Gods: (name a system Thor but don't make the planets names equivilant? Not your fault, it was already named....but the planets were your choosing) Odin, Loki etc...

Jewish Prophets

Germanic Heros

Islamic Scholars

Chinese Dynasties

Japanese Shinto Gods

Polonesian Gods

African Gods

Egyptian Gods

Just to name a few....every culture will be represented...why? Cause there are approxiametly 1300 solar systems within 50 lightyears! Within 10 years we will be able to map or atleast approximate what is in orbit around a score of these...sooner or later those objects will be named...

So stop putting random syllablles together and get on the game...We aint going to name them Soj or Urplat...we are going to name them after things that correspond to Planets within our own solar system....

Thats my intellectual rant for the Quarter... Carry on

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose the Ineffectual on 2003-10-01 22:52 ]

Acyllius
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-02 00:16   
Yay. Jux liked my map. Go Kirian Ra. Now. On my appraisal.

Epsidion Eri needs alot of work. It has some potential, but the gates need to no longer orbit nothing at 30 gu, the planets need to have names easier to remember than Epsidion X and VI etc. Makes the brain hurt like Sirius. Also there are some issues with the 4 stars in the system and way too many terran planets. There are two of the same size within about 1000 gu of each other. The distances are also overly large. Size is good, but not this much. Jumping from one size to another takes 110 seconds. ouch. That is like a long jump from Ind to Caranie Aa.

Thor is a great map. I was not able to find anything I would say is negative. All choices could easily be noted as map designers artistic license and are solid choices.

Most of the other maps were lacking in various ways and only Thor, and of course my map, but I am biased on that one I believe are solid enough for MV. But that isn't my desicion. I appreicate Jux supporting my map so strongly.

Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-02 03:08   
Only played the Thor map, and my one gripe with it, is that it is too small. Even a relatively small fleet will steamroller through that system in about half an hour. I like the general layout of the system, its just too damn small.

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-03 06:42   
Reason, question: Was "Epsilon Andromeda" submited by that name? Because I know I submited a map named "Upsilon Andromedea", and I am wondering if it is the same map.

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-10-03 07:23   
Two Different Maps.. ("Epsilon Andromeda" is someone elses map)

- |2eason -

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-03 08:53   
righto, thanks m8

Chosen of Chaos{Dictor Lord}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-03 09:05   
Quote:

On 2003-10-01 22:50, Juxtapose won't hurt you wrote:

In fact, there is already debate over which culture gets their Gods/cultural figure's names attached to the planets in orbit

Hindu Gods: Brahmin, Ganesh, Shiva, etc...

Norse Gods: (name a system Thor but don't make the planets names equivilant? Not your fault, it was already named....but the planets were your choosing) Odin, Loki etc...

Jewish Prophets

Germanic Heros

Islamic Scholars

Chinese Dynasties

Japanese Shinto Gods

Polonesian Gods

African Gods

Egyptian Gods

Chaos gods??

Deathscythe
Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-03 13:38   
Were is my map sonaz system why did it not qualif

http://deathmut.myminicity.com/

Email Deathscythe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.016834 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR