No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » I cant Use my 'J' Drive more than Once
 Author I cant Use my 'J' Drive more than Once
Scorch
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-14 14:36   
Hi
I cant seem to use the Tacyon drive more than once,So i start the game,i dont have membership so it's coloured Red,I then choose my Team 'ICC' and then choose my ship 'Extractor' ,ok so far.I start the game i choose a planet or star to goto ,i then press 'J' ,my ship then goes to that planet really fast using the Tacyon drive,OK so im there.Now i want to go to another planet, so i choose another planet using 'F2'button click the planet and Press the magic 'J' Button,this time the ship counts down untill 0s is reached and nothing happens,i press 'J' again still nothing happens,i press 'J' again and wait 5 minuets still nothing happens.I can use my ion drive by pressing the forward arrow key and this gives me forward momentum but a very slow speed,which will get me to a planet about an hour later.PLEASE tell me whats wrong, the game looks brilliant.
Thanks in advance.

Antdizzle

Posted: 2003-10-14 14:44   
what internet connaction do you have and where do you live?

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-14 17:28   
Are you playing in the official newbie server? Sometimes people put up unofficial servers but they may lag greatly.

Try pushing alt + p. It will tell you your ping and your offset. Im not entirely sure what offset is but I know anything not 0 is bad. I think its a measure of how out of sync you are with the server.

If you catch me camping the lobby feel free to bother me. I will put up a server I know doesn't lag. Other then that, if have have XP I would recommend not using the firewall that comes with it. At least while playing DS. Its a POS firewall anyways.

Post your system info here. There may be something I can spot.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Scorch
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-17 07:30   
Since discovered that other people have had the same problem, turns out it's my graphics card S3 Savage 4, weird because it works ok in the tutorial.Looks like i should buy a new one.
Thanks for your help.

Kamikaze Chicken
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-17 07:57   
As much as you do need a new one it still shouldnt be causing that problem, that problem is generally caused purely by lag...

theG
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-17 09:56   
Scorch
Does your timer start counting backwards?
If it does it's lag in the game. It does happen some times. Mostly on 56k and bad connections.
Sounds like your problem. Syncronaziton between you and the servers are off and cause lag to build up....

Goto the website of theG
Scorch
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 04:42   
I'm sure it's not lag, the counter starts counting down ,it reaches zero,the ship sometimes jumps backwards instead of going into warp, the counter then resets itself to a new value of seconds and starts counting down again, you are unable to use warp at all,i can use my slower engines to move around but it takes ages, I also used ALT-P to check lag forgot what reading it was, but it was in ms,I am sure that it is to do with graphics card, because other people have reported this problem,and one of them chaged his card and it worked ok.I am using pipex broadband which is very reliable.One other guy who had this problem said it also works ok in the BETA game,so what ever the problem is it's between my graphics card and the main game NOT the tutorial or BETA version.
One other thing, it allways the first time used,if i get blown up, and then select another ship and start that game it still doesnt work, the olny way to get it to work is to log off,shut game totally down and then restart from scratch,it then works once only again.
Thanks for your replies.

[ This Message was edited by: Scorch on 2003-10-23 05:10 ]

peanutbutter
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 08:02   
hmm i noticed that too but the simple reason why it's counting down and nothing happens is that the max jumpdistance was less then the distance to the selected jumppoint. it only give u once the message like"ure max jumpdistance is xxx gu" but not everytime u select a target out of range.
just select one in jumprange and ure be fine without delay.

Email peanutbutter
Scorch
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-24 10:15   
Hi guys
A Friend gave me a Geforce Graphics card to try, and it now works.Thanks for your efforts.

Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-24 10:25   
yuo could also try puting in manual coords instead of the planets, it sometimes cant figure out the path (especially to a distant sun), but ive also noticed the same problem in the MV and FA with both Planets and manual jumps, try switching between them if nothing happens, it might work

Myon

Email Valerius{DK}
Page created in 0.020729 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR