No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Juxtapose's Guide to Staying Alive
 Author Juxtapose's Guide to Staying Alive
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:08   
Play the game like you have only one life and this game will never get old.

Play the game like it is Defender and I hope I am playing against you.

I don't like dying. I do my best to never. It ruins something when I die and come back just to die again... its not for me.

Here is are some helpful hints to help you Survive and kill your opponents:
Most of these only pertain to the present game set-up. Once the patch is released, these will be dated

Exit Strategies

First off, remap your keyboard. Change E-jumping to : U. Change Unloading and Loading to the up and down arrow keys. I find it near impossible to smash two keys at once, simultaneously in the heat of combat and have them actually do something. U is just simpler.

Secondly, before entering combat, before leaving the safe zone, give yourself an order to Move To somewhere safe. For me, the Jumpgate is the easiest.

Go to the F2 Screen. Click on your ICON. Next, Click on the MOVE TO order button at the bottom, it looks like a cirlce with a line attached to a smaller cirlce. Then Click on a safe spot on the map.

On your screen, whereever you decided will appear as a white diamond. This is AMAZINGLY USEFUL. No need to switch to the Nav screen while being chased by 3 ships, to figure out which is the best direction to e-jump. . .while on that topic:

E-jumping

Pick the direction you are going to e-jump carefully; always assume that you will be tracked and followed; always assume you are beaconed.

1. E-jump into a friendly cluster of planets. E-jump towards a friendly dictor field. E-jump towards your Gate. Don't just wildly E-jump or you will hit something.

this is where having a white diamond on your screen comes in handy

I am not sure if this is the same for all players, but if I try to stop my Jump about 3000gu from my target, I generally stop somewhere between 100gu and 400 gu from it. Find out what it is for you... It would sure stink to e-jump towards a planet and then stop 2500gu past it.

2. Get out of the battle if your side is going to loose it. Get out while you are still strong. The last one out is dead....the entire enemy fleet will track it and kill it.

3. If you run out of energy in battle, don't stop or slow down, e-jump a short 2000 gu away or less and motor back in. Just get far enough away from enemy ships that you aren't a sitting duck when you terminate your jump. You will still be a presence on the battle field (very important) and you will have time to recharge your energy, shields and armor.

Engineering

I killed 9 Engineering ships last night in FA. Why? Cause they are easy to kill.

1. The F5 Screen is a trap. Faustus clearly designed it to allow players like me better chances at harvesting engineering ships. Use it sparingly and only for only short periods of time

2. Always keep your ship pointed away from the planet and other obstacles. The moment a ship larger than a Destroyer appears within 250gu of you, run. Don't wait to he has shot you, just run immediatly. You will make a mistake if you stick around and you will be killed, maybe not the first few times, but you will die.

Deciding where to go

1. Avoid jumping into a battle from a jump more than 15 secs long. If the battle is futher away than that, make two jumps. Combat ships move. New enemies can jump in, you don't want to land within beam range of several dreads do you?

2. The Nav Screen (F2) Lies. Camera the target you are jumping to before jumping there. It will save your life. You may see only 2 ships in the area you are going to, but that could be Nav Screen LAG...there could be 15 ships there...then you are dead.

3. Jump to the edge of a battle. Gives you time to get your speed up. Speed is key. Always stay moving.

4. Don't go in alone...unless there are friends there already.

5. ALWAYS CLOSE JUMP!!! Whether it be a planet, a ship you are to supply or the gate. Don't just click on the ICON and press J!

Go to the NAV screen and center and max zoom in on the Target.... Make it so the bottom of the screen is the direction you are coming from , the Top is the direction you are headed, then place your Jump Location at the top of the screen. You will land pretty close to the target.

For planets, do the same, just make sure you jump to the side of the planet...RED LINES are bad.

Attacking the enemy

1. Crippled ships: If you jump a crippled ship and there is a supply ship there, always kill it first, unless:

The wounded ship has 30% hull or less.

The supply ship is on the other side of the target.

Supply ships add an extra 25% hull and armor to the enemy ship, not to mention, they do have weapons, so scare them off.

2. K'luth and Missle Dreads: Jump Behind them and stay there. If a K'luth is cloaked, but is visable, check the Nav Screen to see which way it is facing.

3. Always be aware of who is around you. Don't just blindly attack a ship, as there could be several closing in from the sides. Avoid being surrounded by always being aware. If there are ships coming in from all sides, Run away.

4. Withdrawl from combat when you are at 25% ammo. When you have no energy. Before you sustain a lot of damage. Get some quick supplies, repairs and then go back.

Players always attack ships that are damaged. If there are two targets, one is at 100% Hull, another is at 97%, I am going after Mr. 97%... don't be Mr. 97%.

Now, there is reasonable damage you sustain in fleet combat or one vs one combat. But Mr. 97% in a battle that isn't going to be won by your side, then get out, get fixed and come back if you want...

5. Attack only what you can hurt. Armor and shields come back, hull doesn't. Only go after the ships that you can Kill, or hurt ( # 4 )

The exception is: Scaring away an attacker when you are protecting a teammate.

6. If it says Mine anywhere in the title of the ship, avoid it.

7. Always...and I mean Always...Kill the Support ships first. It's sound tactical advice...and its satisfying.

If it looks like a trap, it probably is a trap

1. A lone ship sitting out in space, just in view of your fleet, that is piloted by a decent pilot: A trap.

2. Minelayers: A trap

3. The enemy fleet was sitting at their Planet, but then vanished and can't be found anywhere. Time to invade? No. They are sitting in deepspace waiting for you to attack their planet. Once you are within the Planet's dictor field and taking damage from it's defenses, they will jump you from behind.

Attack anyway, but just expect this to happen. You won't be able to escape very well and they will.

Lastly: Know your Enemy

1. Know what the ships can do.

2. Know what the weapons ranges are and how much they damage.

3. Know who you are fighting. If they are in the Top 100 catagory for Ship Damaged, then they probably know how to fly.

There are some players, and I'm not going to name names, that I would not Jump unless I had a fleet behind me.

4. Know the players that are going to attack you first. You know, the ones that fly past a half dozen wounded ships just to attack you. Very important.

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose on 2003-10-26 10:45 ]

Josef
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:45   

Hitman23
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 11:45   
Great post!!!

Email Hitman23
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:01   
Great advice.... maybe now i can stay alive

- Axi

Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-26 12:19   
I pray to god not many people read this. These are the same tactics I use and if everyone in the friggin game used them Id be in a world of hurt.
Juxtapose your my soulmate, but your also a fool!

I spit on you....

[ This Message was edited by: Rogue Spear on 2003-10-26 12:20 ]

DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-26 14:24   
Great post Jux!

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 20:35   
hey Jux if you know all these great tatics, then how ceme you keep dieing?

Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-26 21:12   
Juxapose is in the top 2 best pilots i know, he knows what hes talking about. Deaths dont really mean anything cept you were careless as a newbie. Like me.

air
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-26 21:12   
you forgot 1 thing know your players your fighting with .

IE if they know how not to FF you to death . there are new guys here and they will FF you to death so know who is around you in battle on your side

Why do i say this in FA i was in a station and 1 time in mv also enemy ran under me and the ones on my team FF almost to death then i was killed by enemy my team players did 95% of damage to me.

Da Dude
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 21:44   
if you reallly REALLY want to stay alive: sit in the jumpgate safe zone whole game and gain pres by group and remote build .

VERY good post... YOU GAVE EM ALL THE ANSWERS!! FOO! now i have to make new stratagies.....

Silence
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-27 07:53   
The other pilot Rogue Spear was refering to was me.

Page created in 0.021783 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR