No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/20/24 +4.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

1st - almand

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » Scripting Basics
 Author Scripting Basics
Psychotik~Burn
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-21 04:30   
Exactly how am I suppose to know what Functions you have assigned to what?

I have reviewed the LUA Documentation, but handing me a manual to the language isn't very helpfull if I don't know what the Custom Functions you have scripted into DS are.

I can send out "Hello World" to the screen from any Programming Language as long as I have access to what Function allows for it!

For example, when the map starts up what function would be used to set the team?

I noticed in the empty Script you have function onTeamSelected( team )
However is the variable team an Integer, or a String that is compared to what you have set for your team Name Variable?

*Morpheus*
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-21 10:38   
Hi,

you might only get access to a "database" of the DS-Functions if you make the "LUA Training exercises" Chromix posted in this thread. Thats the easyiest and maybe only way to get a list of that Functions

MfG

Psychotik~Burn
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-25 23:30   
If we are not suppose to post on the forums, and I have yet to find an Email to submit any kind of scripts we have made...

Where do we put them, so we can gain access to the API?

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-11-26 00:01   
Quote:

Well Chromix locked the other the normal forum with all scripting related info because people only started to try out scripting if they wanted to spawn Ships or Gadgets.

And they decided not to give any help to people unless they actually learned to script.
This means you will have to show some stuff in Lua and once you know Lua you'll get access to the Scripting forum.

As you can see if this forum we tried to explain that people wanna start somewhere with scripting and that Spawning things is the easiest way to start.
They want Players to learn Lua so they can make Advanced Scripts that might be usefull for the game someday.
1 line scripts that spawn something somewhere/Give you a mission/or a small tutorial is not what they are looking for.
Most players aren’t interested in knowing Lua if they first start experimenting with scripting.

Personally i prefer learning things by opening someone else’s script and ripping it apart to see what does what.

Quote:

We tried that for a half year. And the result was:

1 line scripts that spawn something somewhere

Everything I've seen during that time were those spawn one-liners ripped from the example scripts I placed here for download.
So we had lots of ppl who were like "Wheeee, I can spawn stations and lots of QSBs and...", set up servers which ran those "spawn-everything" maps and invited lots of other players to join them. Since players didn't familiarize themselves with LUA at all they weren't able to do anything slightly more complex than those c&ped one-liners.
That's not the way it works.
So being able to script in LUA is now required for getting access to the DS-Scripting API.

Show off l33t LUA skills that are such that you could contribute to the game in a meaningful way instead of just wanting to learn scripting in order to spawn stuff in your own server for the wow factor and they'll get you access tot he Scripting Reference and all such stuff.

Psychotik~Burn
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-26 04:15   
Maybe you missed it, but let me repeat.

Where do I show it off ?????????????

My Script starts off with a global database of information which is stored in arrays. In this database I have stored some simple information of Market Items. Then matched up on 3 other arrays have tied in Market Value, Max Buy Price, and Amount in Stock.

The array takes the Amount in Stock, compares it to the Market Value. Then it sets a Buy Price, if the New Buy price exceeds the Max Buy Price it replaces the New Buy Price with the value of this Items Max Buy Price.
The whole time it's running from the Beginning to the end of the array of Market Items, it repeats the process displaying it to the terminal.

Whats my opinion of LUA? Stripped down simple programming language used for internal programming, for quick intergration of lesser functions.

Things I dislike about LUA: It appears lacking in a few areas of mathmatics, for example Rounding numbers off to whole numbers. Granted you can send the data to the program calling the script and have the Originating program do it for you, but why not send the data back the way you want it to be. Also I noticed no documented information for user inputing.

It's not as versatile as I would like, but it gets most of the work done.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-11-26 07:18   
Keep an eye out for [Dev]Shigernafy or [Admin]Chromix.

T|t@n {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-26 07:32   
uhmmm chromix is also [dev] not [admin]...

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-27 15:43   
Quote:
It appears lacking in a few areas of mathmatics, for example Rounding numbers off to whole numbers. Granted you can send the data to the program calling the script and have the Originating program do it for you, but why not send the data back the way you want it to be.

Lua doesn't have tons of features, but it offers ways to the users to build the features he needs.

function round( num )
return math.floor( num + 0.5 )
end

print( round( 3.1415 ) ); -- 3
print( round( 11.49 ) ); -- 11
print( round( 11.50 ) ); -- 12
print( round( 11.51 ) ); -- 12

Quote:
Also I noticed no documented information for user inputing.

Standard input

for line in io.lines() do print( "You wrote " .. line ); end;

Email Chromix
Psychotik~Burn
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-27 22:28   
I was taking the manual for facevalue, io.lines looks to be a function for reading information from files.

Thanks for the routine for rounding though, I was looking for examples on the math routines and the ones I found showed math floor, and the results as still having the fractional values after it's used.

Psychotik~Burn
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-28 00:50   
Chromix, I would like access to the Scripting Areas and the API if possible.

How can I go about this, and where can I send a sample of my scripting for you to check out?

And no it's not a 1 line script More like 146 lines

[ This Message was edited by: psychladel on 2003-11-28 04:05 ]

Page created in 0.015667 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR