No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » sub-system targetting
 Author sub-system targetting
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-11-22 18:19   
as i understand it, the ability to target a ships sub systems is gonna be implemented in the game.

as i also understand it, the subsystems will be represented by an icon on the ship your targetting

i recently played the demo for Homeworld2, and i think theres a more economic way of doing this. what they did is have little lines run out of the ship youve targetted, with a little O at the end of each one, clicking on an O targetted the sub system it was related to, so u could just run your mouse over all the Os on a target ship until you found what u wanted blown up, and order an attack.

a similar system might be useful for DS, perhaps have the icons for each subsystem at the end of a little targetting line, or have a sub menu pop up beside your target with all the sub systems listed?

Thrie
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-11-22 19:52   
I agree with this... Have you even seen All the little diamons on a Frigate??? or a Dessie??? You spend more time trying to find the blasted subsystem your looking for then pounding on your spacebar and the Turn keys. 10 Diamons packed into a little ship is not fun lol

Email Thrie
Bad_Skeelz
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-22 19:52   
Maybe instead of an 'O' on the end of the line have the component symbol? This would cut down on the "madly scrolling trying to find the JD" time. But yeah, I like this system, and from what I've heard from people who played beta when the system targeting was it was a real pain because all the icons were clustered together. Imagine what a long range scout would look like =O.

On a side note, in the space shoot-em up freelancer the component targeting system works on you clicking on a wire frame of the target to select the component. This is friggin impossible in a dog fight, especially a 3-D one.

Go Targeting-by-Line!

-Excerpt from Vice Admiral Skeelz's court-martial regarding the malignant boiling and eating of K'luth prisoners of war.

Email Bad_Skeelz
Flandres
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2003-11-22 20:19   
targeting a sub-system in freelancer would have worked even better had there actually been a point to it.
Ship components seemed to have more HP than the actual ship they were mounted on.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-23 17:37   
This feature was removed from the game until we can implement a more intuitive and easier interface for it.

Possibly just a system of designating weapons as your target, and then having your ship shoot at said weapons when you are within a close enough range.

Email Gideon
Page created in 0.016050 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR