No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +12.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Changes to Research Queue...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Changes to Research Queue...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:32   
I'm thinking of losing the research queue and using technology levels instead. Basically, what this means is that for each "Research Lab" you build on a planet, that will increase the technology level for the planet by 1. Building ships (shipyard) and devices will instead require a technology level (for example, technology level 6 would be required for the dreadnaught hull).

This is a good idea for the following reasons...

1. It simplfies the game, and gets rid of a part of the game that isn't really much fun (watching a planet and researching the tree).

2. Research labs can be bombed and destroyed, reducing the technology level for a planet.

3. Research labs now have a reason to stay built, and won't be scrapped once all research is completed.

4. Molds better into the gameplay model.

I really can't think of any good reasons not to do it, but I'm posting here so if anyone has one they can say so now before I begin implementation.

One interesting ideal this could add to the game, is a new planet event or object (alien artifacts found) which would increase the technology level for a planet or even an object that could be captured and put on your planets to increase the technology levels.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:36   
EDIT: This rocks, do it! lol

bobamelius2000@yahoo.com
Sig hosting available

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-02-08 15:43 ]

Email Bobamelius
Quantium
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:36   
Wow, that sounds like big change that in the long run could be a lot funner.

Email Quantium   Goto the website of Quantium
Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:42   
Very nice idea. However, there are some minor things I dislike about this:

1) Having several labs on the planet means less room for defenses, barracks or whatever. Room which is, at the moment, quite needed.

2) Suppose you need 4 labs for defbases. You get them, then build the defbases. What if you scrap the labs then? Defbases go offline? Disappear? Thats something that will need a solution.

And then I have a suggestion:

Make labs faction tech. That way, one can not just cap a planet with a hub, and have all enemy tech, instead needing either the fully built panet, or a build to create the labs yourself. This would also mean you cant build UGTO Research labs on a planet with an ICC hub for example. Doesn't it make sense that different technologies require different equipment?

All in all, nice idea Faustus.

Rock

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:47   
While you're at it, make build and labs so you can tell what faction they are. For example. it might say Colony Hub-UGTO, or Research Lab-ICC or Build-K'luth. That'd make things much simpler too

Email Bobamelius
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:47   
Ummm good idea, it would help newbs to play the game. Also research labs would be neaded to maintain the tech on the planet.

stuck in Univercity limbo

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 15:54   
Okay, I somewhat dislike the idea, all I see in improvement is the fact planets are weaker due to less Defense Bases. Individual planets are weak enough as is.

Goto the website of Novacat
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 16:07   
Heres a better idea, pardon the spelling, but Infestructure should help determine things. Using a 1.3-similar Economic system, a planet can shift credits around to do various things. One of these is improve the Infestructure. Infestructure is what allows a planet to be better. The more Infestructure a planet has, the more structures it can build on its territory.

Also, Credits now have a way to be used, the more infestructure there is, the more credits generated by the Planet. Max Infestructure is determined by population, the more people, the more infestructure.

When structures are built, they automatically use a certain number of Infestructure points.

It is possible that through a very very long time, a planet may be able to fill up all of its hexes. But that will require a lot of time to do so. This will also allow people to tell the difference between boarder-worlds and Core-worlds. Boarder-worlds having not much infestructure due to much of the resources either being downright bombed or shifted towards building ships or defenses.

Goto the website of Novacat
Scythe
Commander

Posted: 2004-02-08 16:24   
Sounds cool there F but to conpensate for the increase of structures being needed on a planet, make a planets max buildings proportional to its size.

Tiny (Deathstars) - 32
Small - 36
Medium - 40
Large - 48
Huge - 56

Just rough numbers but you get the idea

This would make Larger planets harder to capture which they should be and it also would make it so that the bigger planets are more valuable because they would be the only ones that could produce big ships.

Darkspace Developer

Commander - Line Station Excalibur

Captain - Assault Dreadnaught Australis

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-08 16:27   
I like that a lot Nat!!

bobamelius2000@yahoo.com
Sig hosting available

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-02-08 16:28 ]

Email Bobamelius
AdmiralChaos {FA}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 16:29   
Quote:

On 2004-02-08 16:24, Nat wrote:
Sounds cool there F but to conpensate for the increase of structures being needed on a planet, make a planets max buildings proportional to its size.

Tiny (Deathstars) - 32
Small - 36
Medium - 40
Large - 48
Huge - 56

Just rough numbers but you get the idea

This would make Larger planets harder to capture which they should be and it also would make it so that the bigger planets are more valuable because they would be the only ones that could produce big ships.

Agreed

Honour is ALL!

Goto the website of AdmiralChaos {FA}
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 17:23   
i like nats idead but deathstars r gonan have to be made larger than 32 for the odvious facts of keeping research labs, power, domes,farms etc..they will still have low def..just a little larger but not that much maybe 40..just a thought

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 17:30   
Well i think you should just add 6 or more spots for these research labs, that way you can still keep the number of dbases as there usually is.
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-08 17:31   
Quote:

While you're at it, make build and labs so you can tell what faction they are. For example. it might say Colony Hub-UGTO, or Research Lab-ICC or Build-K'luth. That'd make things much simpler too

Great idea, Bobamelius.

In conjuction with this idea:

Research labs should get progressively more expensive, metals-wise.

Here's a radical suggestion, that I haven't really thought over yet:
Have a Colony hub count as a research lab (for purposes of tech levels), and then tie building construction ability entirely in to tech levels (or a build module) rather than off the hub & research.

Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-02-08 18:17   
I like the new tech level of Faustus, but it definately need Nat's Idea to be implemented too !

Keep it going F !

Sky.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024942 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR