No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +12.1 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Changes to Research Queue...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Changes to Research Queue...
Josef
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-08 18:24   
Wow, 14 replies so far and not a single one from Barthezzz.

Someone should really go over to his house and check on him.

People are beginning to freely share their opinion again without fear of massive over-quotage and utter forum-domination, Barth-style.

Woe is the day!

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 18:35   
ahhhhh u mean spam

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-02-08 19:50   
I keep seeing the following reason given... "If we have build labs, then we won't be able to put as many defense bases"...

Welp, thats the point, games like this are about making decisions. If you want to have the super technology planet that can make anything, it won't be as well defended by defense bases, you'll actually have to build infantry and defend it with ships.

We are discussing a increase in structure limits based on planet size... but that may wait until 1.482 after we see what kind of load the new MV puts on the hardware with all planets built up to their 32 structure limit.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2004-02-08 19:50 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-08 19:58   
Makes sense. Also increases the need to coordinate planets and set up trade routes to provide a shipyard planet with resources, so the shipyard planet can have only a few mines, thus providing more room for defense and support buildings.

Email Bobamelius
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-02-08 21:29   
@Faustus, I really like this idea but im dissapointed to see the tech trees go, But All good things must come to an end. Ive picked out some peoples suggestions that i would like to see something of them put in.

Quote:

On 2004-02-08 16:07, RedXIII wrote:

It is possible that through a very very long time, a planet may be able to fill up all of its hexes. But that will require a lot of time to do so. This will also allow people to tell the difference between boarder-worlds and Core-worlds. Boarder-worlds having not much infestructure due to much of the resources either being downright bombed or shifted towards building ships or defenses.

I think Red is on to somthing here. This in my mind would make it worth haveing the Metaverse as big as it is now, and even bigger in the future.

Quote:

Sand wrote:

Quote:

Bob wrote:
While you're at it, make build and labs so you can tell what faction they are. For example. it might say Colony Hub-UGTO, or Research Lab-ICC or Build-K'luth. That'd make things much simpler too

Great idea, Bobamelius.

In conjuction with this idea:

Research labs should get progressively more expensive, metals-wise.

Here's a radical suggestion, that I haven't really thought over yet:
Have a Colony hub count as a research lab (for purposes of tech levels), and then tie building construction ability entirely in to tech levels (or a build module) rather than off the hub & research.

These two ideas are great, shear brillance!

Quote:

On 2004-02-08 19:50, Faustus wrote:
We are discussing a increase in structure limits based on planet size... but that may wait until 1.482 after we see what kind of load the new MV puts on the hardware with all planets built up to their 32 structure limit.

-Richard

I think that there would be a big load takken of the MV if (reds) boarder worlds were lightly defended, yeah i know that they would be bombed alot and they would be lightly defended.. (god i hate taf it always takes my killz LOL) I think this would give all the people out there in the MV that do patrols now a renewed sense of there mission.

- Char

Bigwolfe
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 21:30   
pretty sweet...

Email Bigwolfe
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 21:35   
Quote:

On 2004-02-08 19:50, Faustus wrote:
I keep seeing the following reason given... "If we have build labs, then we won't be able to put as many defense bases"...

Welp, thats the point, games like this are about making decisions. If you want to have the super technology planet that can make anything, it won't be as well defended by defense bases, you'll actually have to build infantry and defend it with ships.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2004-02-08 19:50 ]

well how about advanced structures like advanced research labs

Shank
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-08 21:42   
and how would ship parts be handled? would they still be on the research system, or would they all have certain tech levels required to build them?

Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-08 21:56   
This would be great, and would get rid of annoying noobs who research tractor beams instead of def bases . But I also see the need for more buildings on bigger planets (erath is easier to cap than io when fully builtfor crying out load)