Upcoming Events

- Towel Day
05/25/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Enterprise
21th - Hobbyte

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Petition: Cloak
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
 Author Petition: Cloak
Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-26 22:17   
adds more fuel with another cloak idea

cloak field, by itself, range of about 100gu around ship generating field, additional ships generating fields in close proximity increase overall range of cloak bubble
field acts as double-blind, cant see into bubble, cant see out of it, make communication in and out very difficult (could be improved by using scouts as relays perhaps), would just appear as a black spot moving accross the starfield (blocks out the stars)
ships can fire weapons from inside cloak bubble, but good luck hitting anything with out aid from an observer craft outside the bubble near the target (basically, ctrl+clicking to shoot at a point rather than locking onto a target while cloak field is active)
secure and secretive method of moving fleet around, eccm/scanners do squat(likewise from inside, double-blind)

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-27 04:46   
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 20:17, Gideon wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 04:59, Barthezzz wrote:
As everybody knows, Kluth are losing all Human Technology.
Meaning we get no Cl2ks or Fusion Torps.

Quit spreading lies and mis-information, Barthezzz.

Quit telling us lies

First we the staff tells us faction tech is going to be completely limited, No human tech for and no alien tech for humans...
Then we hear Faustus wants to open all tech to everyone...
Then we hear the Dev team changed F's mind and we wont open all tech...
What is it?!

[ This Message was edited by: Barthezzz on 2004-02-27 05:27 ]

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-27 12:40   
Quote:

Quit telling us lies

First we the staff tells us faction tech is going to be completely limited, No human tech for and no alien tech for humans...
Then we hear Faustus wants to open all tech to everyone...
Then we hear the Dev team changed F's mind and we wont open all tech...
What is it?!

What is it?

Well, okay, here goes...

I'm not sure where you got the whole "faction tech is going to be completely limited" bit. If that was news from the development side of DS, then it is news that is at least eight months old, more likely closer to one year+, and as such is pretty much irrelevant.

Yes, Faustus wants to open all tech to everyone. This desire has not changed.

At the Dev meeting, we sat down with Faustus and discussed just what kind of game experience he exactly wants to provide. After discussing this with him, we went into deep development discussion as to what needs to be done, in the short, medium, and long run, in order to bring his vision for DarkSpace into reality. After doing such, we all decided that allowing anyone to use any tech would require us to lay a great deal more groundwork for it to work in any sort of balanced and entertaining way, while also maintaining other design requirments that Faustus laid out for DarkSpace.

As of this moment, certain technologies such as the CL2K have been removed from being used by the K'Luth, as a temporary measure. This is a nessesary change, until such a time as we can do a thurough re-design of the base components and ship designs. Such a change is slated for v1.482. Reguardless of whether the restriction is eliminated by the v1.482 design or not, such a prohibition on component swapping must be concidered temporary, as it conflicts with one of the base design goals put forth by Faustus for DarkSpace.

While I agree with the desire for a cloaking device refit, I do not agree with going back to the old style of cloaking device that you propose. Reason being that it specifically would make the K'Luth weaker. Under the other kind of cloak, not only are you exposed by large ammounts of ECCM (remember, that's how the old cloak worked), but you would also have no power with which to fire your weapons.

In closing, I would like to suggest that you stop pretending to be part of the dev team in your posts. You know of no more about the development plans for DarkSpace than the rest of the community.

Email Gideon
Nxtwave
Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-27 13:41   
Ouch... thats a little harsh to say.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-27 13:49   
Bart got 0wned....

-Switch
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-27 13:54   
Quote:

On 2004-02-27 12:40, Gideon wrote:
What is it?

Well, okay, here goes...

I'm not sure where you got the whole "faction tech is going to be completely limited" bit. If that was news from the development side of DS, then it is news that is at least eight months old, more likely closer to one year+, and as such is pretty much irrelevant.

You’re right, silly me…Staff members always give the impression they are better informed about what the devs are planning.

Guess I was wrong oh and I heard that all tech was gonna be limited within the past 2 months. How do I know? Because my memory doesn’t go any further down...

Anyway, Kluth are still losing Cl2k and our cloak still sucks so the petition still stands.

Quote:

On 2004-02-27 12:40, Gideon wrote:
In closing, I would like to suggest that you stop pretending to be part of the dev team in your posts. You know of no more about the development plans for DarkSpace than the rest of the community.

I would advise you to read my post again, nowhere in it did i say or pretend i was part of the Dev team.
All I did was post a suggestion (Last time I checked its one of reasons why DS has a forum) based on what I think I know.
If DS staff members go around misinforming the community then that’s not my problem seeing as im not part of the Ds management.

That and I don’t mind posting stuff based on wrong information, I don’t have anything more interesting to do anyway...

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Vinco
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-27 18:31   
As this appears to be degenerating into a war, I'm going to issue a warning. I'll keep checking this thread, and will lock it if a productive discussion does not resume, or if the degeneration continues.

This forum is designed for a frank and honest discussion of the beta server. If you want to have a war, find a new venue.

You have all been warned.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-27 19:20   
Quote:
While I agree with the desire for a cloaking device refit, I do not agree with going back to the old style of cloaking device that you propose. Reason being that it specifically would make the K'Luth weaker. Under the other kind of cloak, not only are you exposed by large ammounts of ECCM (remember, that's how the old cloak worked), but you would also have no power with which to fire your weapons.

That's exactly the concern I have on page 1. As bad as the current cloak is, I fear the old cloak may wind up worse. So we're stuck with this crappy cloak until a better one is introduced. I hated hated hated having all my power drained. I also hate being exposed so easily with the current cloak, but I just know the old one would be worse.

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-27 19:46   
Maybe players could set limits on to what extent the cloak would drain power before being exposed... like if the ECCM got up past what you set, say, +12 sig being generated from ECCM, then the cloak would auto-shut down and resume operation once active ECCM went back down below this player-set threshold.

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-02-27 19:47 ]

Email Bobamelius
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-27 20:05   
Quote:

On 2004-02-27 18:31, Vinco wrote:
As this appears to be degenerating into a war, I'm going to issue a warning. I'll keep checking this thread, and will lock it if a productive discussion does not resume, or if the degeneration continues.

This forum is designed for a frank and honest discussion of the beta server. If you want to have a war, find a new venue.

Nope, no war. I've said my piece on this issue.

However, I hate haveing non-substantive posts, so I'm gonna share a bit of something with everyone.

If Faustus decides to go with the v1.482 proposal (and he has every right not to, as it's his game) there is a rework of the cloaking device buried within it.

This new cloak would, in theory, work the following way:

• Cannot be used during jump.

• Only devices that may be activated while it is on, are sublight engines, and armor. This includes any form of cargo transfer. Any devices that are active other than these at the time it is turned on, are immediatly deactivated. Components that were in the process of charging continue to charge, and drain power, but may not be activated.

• Turn it on, and it drains a constant and large ammount of power (basically limiting your speed). This power scales with the ship using it (larger ships require more power, but it's a cost that's constant relative to the ship size).

• Run out of power, and you appear.

• When cloaking device is turned off, component discharges (like when you fire a weapon, the weapon component discharges). After discharge, component requires a mild ammount of energy to recharge, and takes 80 seconds to recharge. Potential exists for us to vary the recloak time by hull size, but initial tests will be of a flat 80 second vulnerability period.

• Component may not be activated while charging.

• While active, cloaked ship is completely immune to all forms of detection. Is not affected by ECM or ECCM in the least. If additional components are charging while you are cloaked, you still generate zero sig.

Now keep in mind that this is just a starting point, and it would change from here. Also, I must repeat that it's Faustus's game, and so if he chooses to not include this part of v1.482 proposal, that is his right. However, this is the cloaking device that Dr. Evil designed, and we are proposing for inclusion in v1.482.

There is also the potential for an anti-cloak detector device (maybe the scanner or a completely new device), but we are reluctant to include such a thing, and will only be doing so as a last resort.

Email Gideon
JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-02-27 20:19   
Quote:

On 2004-02-27 20:05, Gideon wrote:

While active, cloaked ship is completely immune to all forms of detection. Is not affected by ECM or ECCM in the least. If additional components are charging while you are cloaked, you still generate zero sig.

So would that leave ECM and ECCM the way they are now?

The only thing I know is that I know nothing. -Socrates

WUNDERBAR! -Me after seeing another hive bite the dust.

[ This Message was edited by: JackSwift on 2004-02-27 20:19 ]

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-27 20:50   
Hmmm ..... gonna have to ponder this one for a sec ..... looks good so far, but I dont want to jump onthe "Yah" bandwagon because I may have overlooked something .... at wich time Ill post something along the lines of ...

DAMN THAT STINKS, YOU SHOULD BE FLOGGED ..... but for now ... Ill kick it around a bit.

[ This Message was edited by: -=Arch=- on 2004-02-27 20:51 ]

Goto the website of -=Arch=-
Octurion
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-02-27 22:38   
Not sign

If the cloaked going to be changed it should be to one that is balance(I really like the one the Dev team has planed) but intill that day it should stay with the one now. It might suck but I dont see a point to have a change that will not make things balance/work that will only be replaced by a change that will in make it balance/work in a few months. Plus there are some issues about the old one which I did think was uber but that was in the past and should stay there.

Darksworde
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-02-28 04:45   
Quote:

Quote:

On 2004-02-27 18:31, Vinco wrote:

Nope, no war. I've said my piece on this issue.

However, I hate haveing non-substantive posts, so I'm gonna share a bit of something with everyone.

If Faustus decides to go with the v1.482 proposal (and he has every right not to, as it's his game) there is a rework of the cloaking device buried within it.

This new cloak would, in theory, work the following way:

• Only devices that may be activated while it is on, are sublight engines, and armor. This includes any form of cargo transfer. Any devices that are active other than these at the time it is turned on, are immediatly deactivated. Components that were in the process of charging continue to charge, and drain power, but may not be activated.

• Turn it on, and it drains a constant and large ammount of power (basically limiting your speed). This power scales with the ship using it (larger ships require more power, but it's a cost that's constant relative to the ship size).

• When cloaking device is turned off, component discharges (like when you fire a weapon, the weapon component discharges). After discharge, component requires a mild ammount of energy to recharge, and takes 80 seconds to recharge. Potential exists for us to vary the recloak time by hull size, but initial tests will be of a flat 80 second vulnerability period.

• While active, cloaked ship is completely immune to all forms of detection. Is not affected by ECM or ECCM in the least. If additional components are charging while you are cloaked, you still generate zero sig.

Now keep in mind that this is just a starting point, and it would change from here. Also, I must repeat that it's Faustus's game, and so if he chooses to not include this part of v1.482 proposal, that is his right. However, this is the cloaking device that Dr. Evil designed, and we are proposing for inclusion in v1.482.

There is also the potential for an anti-cloak detector device (maybe the scanner or a completely new device), but we are reluctant to include such a thing, and will only be doing so as a last resort.

This idea, I like.

The whole point of kluth is hit and run, we all agree with that. In the current version of the game, what we have when armed with ruptors is hit twice and run for your life, most likely e jumping, which of course has its own problems, what with tracking. Normally, unless u have backup, ppl willing to throw their ships on the line, u end up dead, especially when its 1v1 vs an AC with 2 reactors, ful hvy armour and 2 eccm to discount your 1 ecm, all provided by the generosity that is gate modding.

From the sounds of what your proposing, I can finally do what I rarely get the chance to do in 1.480. That is, spend ten minutes getting into a position, say right behind an enemy ship. Waiting for him to make the wrong move, then decloaking and blasting the hell out of him. This sounds sneaky as hell, just what we needed!

Email Darksworde   Goto the website of Darksworde
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-28 06:26   
Now we got something to talk about..

Quote:

Certainly makes sense. Cant seem to think of another component that should be allowed active, except maybe the AHR, if it is technically deactivateable even.
Reactors? No...
Supplieing a cloaked ship?
Drone Bays?

I should think it should be possible to activate drone bays while cloaked, but not BE supplied. Makes sense in a way. But maybe for the sake of gameplay it should be the other way around, tough question. Maybe both.

Damage to the cloaking device could result in a linear sig drop starting at 80% damage.

Quote:

• Yea, if all the numbers are well scaled!
    Quote:

• This essentially makes the device twofold, allowing for sneak and hit as well as hit and cloak.
    Interesting.
    Quote:

Doesnt seem to make sense in the described system. This device has been proposed as a balancing tool to the "old" cloaking system.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
    Page created in 0.024670 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
    Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR