No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +9.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » More 1.481 Fixes...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author More 1.481 Fixes...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-03-04 10:09   
Hi Everyone,

First off, the release is running rather smoothly IMHO...

However, like all releases, some things crop up that need to be fixed, so I'm working on the following fixes for 1.481...

- Defense bases are using way too much CPU. I had no ideal how many would get built, I think at last count we had over 1000+ defense bases in the metaverse. 1/2 of them defense base III's, each with 3 missiles, 3 beams, and 1 cannon type weapon. Anyway, most of the CPU time is being used updating all these defense bases currently. I'm optimizing the code for defense bases so they will use MUCH LESS CPU time, and much less bandwidth when firing their weapons (currently, a Verb for each weapon used is fired, I can bring this down to 1 verb to fire all weapons).

- Shipyards... it's become pretty obvious, that the biggest exploit for SY is using them to transport infantry to another SY planet that is under attack.... or to spawn a new ship at one shipyard, then dock, and respawn at another shipyard under attack. Obviously, this is not how I intended for them to work.

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do on this issues ATM... suggestions?

Goto the website of Faustus
chris aka sunshine
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-04 10:17   
i'm pretty sure we had already a solution hammered out for shipyards.. might give Gideon a call and ask him for details..

quequq for spawning/docking depends on your shipclass // distance between shipyards you want to dock/spawn..

or, to be more realsitic.. ships, docked at shipyard A can only spawn at Yard A again.. so you can't sue your garage at any shipyard, like in real life you got to travel from one spot to another.. might require increased garage..

Email chris aka sunshine   Goto the website of chris aka sunshine
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-04 10:36   
dont make switching between SYs instantaneous.make it take some time to get from one to the other.. like half the time it would take to jump from one planet with a SY to the other (1 straight jump, no stops to get around stars and whatnot)
so if you going from SY-A to SY-B, and the two planets are 1 million GU apart, it takes X seconds to make the jump with a tachyon, so the transition time between the shipyards would be 0.5X seconds from the time you entered SY-A to the time you come out at SY-B

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-04 11:01   
I think a simple solution for the Infantry Solution is:

Ships spawned from SY do not come with Infantry, even if the Ship went into the SY with a hold full of them.

A solution to Massive Ship Spawning at a Ship yard is:

To Spawn a Built ship, a Dread, for Example, that planet must carry the resources equivalent to that dread...but not the Tech Lvl. Those resources are taken to re-build the Dread and are returned to the planet where that Dread is returned. The Initial Cost in resource to build the dread will be there, but by returning the dread you return the resources.

That way you can't realisitcally spawn a Dozen stations at a newly conquered planet because, most likely, it won't possess the needed resources

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose on 2004-03-04 11:05 ]

Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:23   
One proposed fix was to have shipyard only be able to spawn ships of thier tech level. So if you jump into a system and quickly get an SY up you cannot pull all ships in your garage immediately through.
The shipyard infatry problem is mainly caused by stock transports coming with 2 infantry. I think that it would be possible to stop the inf spawn on SY vessels and only allow Homegates to produce vessels with infantry.

Just had a neat thought. If you spawn a ship from a planet, make it lose population in proportion...
Also another possibility...

Academy Structure
Power 10, Pop 5, Tech lvl 40
Produces: Crew - 1 per cycle(same cycles as mining) up to a maximum of 20 per Academy.
Ships require crews to spawn from a SY.
Scouts = 1, Frigate/Transports = 2,
Destroyer = 3, Cruiser = 5,
Dreadnought = 7, Station = 12.

Alternately you can build this into the shipyard function.

(Balance accordingly)
This would possibly solve all the spawn issues at once without any other fixes...

Goto the website of Drafell
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:29   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 10:17, chris aka sunshine wrote:
or, to be more realsitic.. ships, docked at shipyard A can only spawn at Yard A again.. so you can't sue your garage at any shipyard, like in real life you got to travel from one spot to another.. might require increased garage..

PLEASE!

we discussed this long before..

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:31   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 10:09, Faustus wrote:
- Defense bases are using way too much CPU. I had no ideal how many

i assume that is the cyclically executed, totally blocking segment that makes the game pretty unplayable for slower systems?

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:34   
Planets under attack are blockaded. Their shipyards can't spawn new ships because the workers are needed for defense bases and civil projects like food storage.

Simple.

Also, Trannies shouldn't be using the starport except at their own risk, which I believe they do anyway. Nevermind.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:41   
If you have a damaged dread, and you go and get another dread from your garage, that new dread has the same exact amount of damage as the dread u replaced

IceMECH
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:42   
On the Shipyard issue, how about preventing ships from entering a shipyard when there are enemy contacts with in some distance, say 1000gu.

It would allow defenders to come to the aid of the planet quickly, however would keep them from using the shipyard to escape distruction or as a quick means of transfering troops.

Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:47   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 11:01, Juxtapose wrote:
I think a simple solution for the Infantry Solution is:

Ships spawned from SY do not come with Infantry, even if the Ship went into the SY with a hold full of them.

Well, thats a good idea !

Quote:

On 2004-03-04 11:01, Juxtapose wrote:
A solution to Massive Ship Spawning at a Ship yard is:

To Spawn a Built ship, a Dread, for Example, that planet must carry the resources equivalent to that dread...but not the Tech Lvl. Those resources are taken to re-build the Dread and are returned to the planet where that Dread is returned. The Initial Cost in resource to build the dread will be there, but by returning the dread you return the resources.

That way you can't realisitcally spawn a Dozen stations at a newly conquered planet because, most likely, it won't possess the needed resources

Ack, noway, Chris's idea of ship locked in its original SY is what we need, and we got a new device called Worm Hole !!!

Sky.

Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-04 15:03   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 14:23, Drafell (Recruiting) {ASC} wrote:
One proposed fix was to have shipyard only be able to spawn ships of thier tech level. So if you jump into a system and quickly get an SY up you cannot pull all ships in your garage immediately through.
The shipyard infatry problem is mainly caused by stock transports coming with 2 infantry. I think that it would be possible to stop the inf spawn on SY vessels and only allow Homegates to produce vessels with infantry.

Just had a neat thought. If you spawn a ship from a planet, make it lose population in proportion...
Also another possibility...

Academy Structure
Power 10, Pop 5, Tech lvl 40
Produces: Crew - 1 per cycle(same cycles as mining) up to a maximum of 20 per Academy.
Ships require crews to spawn from a SY.
Scouts = 1, Frigate/Transports = 2,
Destroyer = 3, Cruiser = 5,
Dreadnought = 7, Station = 12.

Alternately you can build this into the shipyard function.

(Balance accordingly)
This would possibly solve all the spawn issues at once without any other fixes...

thats an enteresting thought, we really need that to be implemented, but we have really too few space to build.

I just want to see max structure change depending on type/size of planet, I dont ask for being able to build every single hexe on a planet.

I think implementing this wouldnt add more lag, cause surely we would be able to build big planet up to, say ... 45 structures, but on the other hand we will have smaller planet with 20 structures on it.

I dont know what is the average size of planets in MV, but we may stay at quite the same amount of structures in MV, so this wouldnt add more lag ...

Sky.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-04 15:13   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 10:09, Faustus wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hello

Quote:

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do on this issues ATM... suggestions?

Well the first thing we could use is that even when a ship is in Storage the Yard still needs to have enough tech for it..
so no more station comming out of a 60Tech Yard.

Secondly and i think this is going to piss a lot of ppl off is that basicly when you dock at a yard you INSTANTLY dissappear.
I suggest that some sort od " dock timer " is put into place.
This means that in order to complete a dock YOU CANNOT MOVE!!!
you can fire though
Also it should take about 10-30 secs b4 docked.

And maybe the same for when launching a ship....
Something like Time until departure sequence completed just like a Plane does at an airport.

- Axi

-Baron Von Virtu
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-04 15:13   
My suggestion would be todo something like UT2k4's Onslaught mode, if a powernode is under attack, you cant spawn at that powernode, same can be done with shipyards

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\r\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n
Site Director - The Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 15:19   
mh.. resources based or realism based please ,-)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.037247 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR