No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +11.3 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » More 1.481 Fixes...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author More 1.481 Fixes...
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 22:43   
If anyone here has ever played homeworld, ships when docked inside a capital ship, gradually repaier, depending on class...

Shipyards should be able to carry our repairs to the same extent, when a ship is docked, it and its systems should be able to be repaired over time

DangerBabe
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-05 22:20   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 22:38, Therax Anrak wrote:
Quote:

DangerBabe wrote:
I REALLY don't like the "SY spawns a damaged ship" idea. Why even have the SY spawn if that was the case. I'd rather jump to my destination for 5 minutes (get up and stretch my legs) than sit there unable to move and/or fight for several minutes.

There are a number of benefits. You still don't have to fly all the way from the gate. If the front is 8 systems away from your homeworld, that's a lot more than 5 minutes you'd spend in transit, so a shipyard still helps you out there.

That all depends on how much wait time you're talking about putting on watching your ship get built. I suppose that would be more interesting than extracting.

Quote:

Really, it embodies all of the other suggestions for eliminating the problem where ships instantly spawn to the defense of a world under siege:

• We don't lose the shipyard ability to move across the universe, as long as your destination is safe from enemy activity.

As would the simple "you can't spawn at a planet under attack" option, which would also seem like it would be easier on the CPU.

Quote:

• It institutes a time-delay, based on the size class of the ship and how long it takes to reconstruct, not based on distance. This gives another concrete incentive to fly smaller ships: they're combat-ready much faster than the larger ones.

Well, I can sorta see your point about giving people incintive to fly the smaller ships, but come on, EVERYONE wants to fly bigger ships. And besides, if you're that much in a hurry to get a ship out, then most likely there's a battle somewhere, and who wants to grab a frigate when they're rank enough to get a cruiser or dread? Also, I have a limited amount of time during the week I can play, so the more a game wants me to wait for stuff, the more likely I'm going to go find something else to do.

Quote:

• It prevents spawning at a world under enemy siege, although you can still risk it and hope your depots/supplies keep up with the damage the enemy can deal out.

Wheras this sounds interesting, I hate to wait, and I've never been a fan of spawn-killing.

Quote:

• You can easily have multiple levels of shipyard worlds. More advanced SY worlds could sacrifice defense for additional depots. This would speed the repair process and in effect reduce the time-delay required to spawn to that world.

...and increase the risk the planet is taken.

Quote:

In addition we get other benefits. It removes the problem where you kill an enemy station, only to see him spawn a new one immediately from a shipyard without sparing a breath, even another shipyard that is secure and not under attack. This improves realism by reducing the idea that ships are throwaway items, easily replaced.

Playability. If a planet has the resources to pop one out, that's fine with me. Now, I can understand the need for realism, heck I love to nit-pick the inaccuracies of a sci-fi show, but again, I have a limited time to play, and waiting for a spawn (or waiting MINUTES while jumping for that matter) really cuts into the gametime. *shrug* Perhaps I'm more impatient than most.

Quote:

It also improves realism and the sense of immersion. We would be able to see ships under construction. Doesn't it bother you at least a little bit to see a Dread flying out of the surface of a planet that the Dread is easily half as big as? If shipyards really are going to orbital structures in the future, this proposal gives us most of the gameplay benefits without much in the way of engine overhauls.

Interesting point about the dred popping out of a small planet. I have no problem with it since this is a game, and as you pointed out, it looks like SY's are going to be orbital structures in the future, so the "small planet spawing big ships" thing will be a non issue at that point anyway.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.014114 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR