Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Shipyard Suggestion
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Shipyard Suggestion
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-07 12:43   
Started a new thread because I didn't want it to get lost in the clutter.

Ok, I think most of the playerbase can agree that the MV has become fun again, and that the insta-action is part of the reason why. The populated MV is great, and shipyards are helping to keep it that way. But they are being exploited(apparently), and are being changed. Here's my idea.

-Each system can have only one shipyard. This will require it to be defended vigorously, and placement will have to be taken into consideration as well.

-I'm not sure if you can do this, Faustus, but a new warning system would be used. Presently, you only hear if either A) a planet is being invaded, or B) a planet is being bombed. I'd like to see one that says something telling us when an enemy ship is in system, and detected, perhaps:

Server: Enemey detected in Sol.

This would get the ICC forces back to defend Sol quickly, before the invading Uggies tried to take Earth.

-Because each system has only one shipyard, they are vital for reinforcements. An invading fleet knows this of course, and should make that the primary target. A shipyard under attack cannont spawn ships. This will force a fleet to form up in the shipyard in another system, and wormhole to the front.

Bito

*forgot some stuff, will edit*

Puppies gotta die, too.

Undergamer
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-07 13:18   
Here goes the "SY under attack cant spawn" idea. I like it

/sign

I still think that you should be able to "insta-warp" across the mv like you could just after the patch.

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-07 13:48   
Yup. Nice idea. Less exploits, more action. Will put more use in new Wormhole device.

/Sign

Email Axalon
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-07 13:53   
Under the Bito Plan of Action, you still could, unless the shipyard is being attacked. This would only be affected if it were the shipyard planet too.

Example 1: The ICC holds Sol, as is now, or presently was the case. The main shipyard is on Earth, and I believe there is one on Titan, though it can't be used, because Titan starts with "T" and no one can scroll down that far on the list. Also, it wouldn't be there, as there can only be one SY per system.

The Uggies decide to use a bit of strategy, and go away from Earth, where most of the ICC are. They head to Pluto, not a shipyard planet. Therefore, the SY on Earth still produces reinforcements. Bad idea Uggies, you should have attacked the fleet, and consequently the SY planet.

Example 2: The Uggies now attack Earth, the shipyard planet. Being under attack, the shipyard doesn't work to reinforce. So the Uggies come in with overwhelming numbers, or hell, just good pilots, and crush the n00bs of the ICC at Earth, and capture the Shipyard for the Sol system.

Good job UGTO.

Addendum To Bito Plan of Action:

Only ships logged at a shipyard can spawn at a shipyard when it is under attack. A shipyard can store ships that are logged there, as in Faustus's plan.

ie: Say a few ACs had logged the previous day at Earth to go to sleep or whatnot, and they log back on to find it under attack. Since they had logged off there, they can spawn there. Only those ships can use that shipyard though. The rest must spawn, form up and use a wormhole from, I believe, Alpha Cetauri?

I think that would make it more siege-like, and those coming in, or coming back, would be breaking the siege.

Bito

Another Josef Masterpiece

Attack? I'm too pretty for that...

[ This Message was edited by: AdmBito{NiB} on 2004-03-07 14:01 ]

Puppies gotta die, too.

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-07 13:55   
amen to that!

Email Axalon
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-07 14:49   
Quote:

On 2004-03-07 12:43, AdmBito{NiB} wrote:
... shipyards ... are being exploited(apparently)

In what way do you feel shipyards are being exploited ?

I've not noticed any problems with shipyards, the seem to be the least of the problems with the MV.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-07 15:22   
Shipyards are the best and the worst part of the new MV right now. But the only bad things about them really are the fact that they act as a planet-based jumpgate with no limitations. They need to spend resources on ships spawned and require the proper tech level, like it seems they're supposed to do (our ships do show what's needed to spawn them, ask any GA player how it works).

For some reason the MV shipyards don't require that like GA does. Why?

EDIT: they do require it the first time you spawn in the MV. But after that first spawning you can freely spawn at any other shipyard and not have to pay the resources again.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-03-07 15:22 ]

$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-07 15:43   
I have an idea...if we caputure an enemy SY, we should be able to use their ships!!!! muhahahaha

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-07 16:09   
Quote:

On 2004-03-07 14:49, Wyke wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-03-07 12:43, AdmBito{NiB} wrote:
... shipyards ... are being exploited(apparently)

In what way do you feel shipyards are being exploited ?

I've not noticed any problems with shipyards, the seem to be the least of the problems with the MV.

I'm not the one who feels that way, others do. I like the SY, but if Faustus wants to fix it, and his way seems a bit harsh, or restrictive, or it may screw up gameplay, I'd like to try to find another way to help.

Also, can we keep this to discussing the idea, and not whether it is broke?

Thanks, Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-08 20:14   
*bump*

Puppies gotta die, too.

-Baron Von Virtu
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-08 22:03   
Quote:
From me from the other thread
What we really need with this is spawn delays for certain ships. This delay won't exist if you're just logging on, but if you're switching ships in the SY, it should take a certain amount of time to switch your ship for that other one. This would prevent spawning stations over and over and over. Perhaps even take this a step further, if there are enemy infantry invading the planet, you cannot use the Shipyard to escape or enter, and also if there are more than lets say 5 hostile cruisers or higher in the orbit of a SY planet, you cannot spawn ships.

Spawn Times for Switching
1:00 Station
:50 Dreadnought
:40 Cruiser
:30 Destroyers
:15 Frigates (Plus Supply Ships/Engineer/Transports/etc.)
:05 Scouts

This could have a little spawn time counter also.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\r\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n
Site Director - The Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-08 22:33   
Great suggestions. Also, from what I understand Faustus is planning to lock ships to the SY they spawned at... PLEASE DON'T DO THIS. Just make it so you can only spawn a ship at the last SY it was docked at.

Example:

You spawn an EAD at Earth. You fly to, say, BD43, fight, screw around, and decide to quit, so you store it in your SY there and log. Now next time you get that EAD, it'll show the SY it's docked at and you spawn it there, NOT back at Earth where you first got it. Just making sure this is clear

Also, if the SY your ship is parked at is captured, you lose that ship. Good incentive to park in well-defended friendly territory. Logging might transfer you back to your original spawn.

Email Bobamelius
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-09 10:16   
/me ponders how to force a new cruiser through the ICC gate...

I personally don't like the idea of spawn-locked shipyards. Quick action shipyard jumps have been the best thing to happen to DS IMO.

I don't think ANYONE can disagree that the current level of SY jumping exploitation has got to stop. I can't think of a better idea atm than Bito's - though I just would like to add one thing to it. Stations... as massive as they are, I do NOT think that they should be able to switch Shipyards, reason being that wherever they go, they turn the tide of battle more often than not (giving troops a rally point, heavy repair station etc etc).

*signed*

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 12:45   
Uhhh... Put a time restriction on how often you can enter a shipyard.. or else make it so that multiple ships cannot enter SY at once... they have to que up and move in 1 at a time. that should stop people from hiding in their shipyards

Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-10 07:00   
maybe we could introduce a planetbased wormhole generator that can be linked with other planets. but the idea about storing ships is (in my opinion) not comfortable... i dont want to lose my ships when offline because someone bombed off MY shipyard...

remember:48 Nukes are killing a ganglia in approximately 0.112 seconds, depending on your own ping too.

Goto the website of Wicked Ice ={NuKe Squad}=
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026150 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR