No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » 1.481 Bombing: 1 word, Horrible
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author 1.481 Bombing: 1 word, Horrible
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 11:22   
first let me comment a bit

Quote:

On 2004-03-08 23:02, -=~NubMarine~=- wrote:
We were pretty sucessful in removing the UGTO fleet from Ooi in BD. Now

just to make this clear, the ugto fleet had a strength of about 7-12 ships against your ~40

Quote:

didn't have enough inf,

the problem is that you didnt drop enough inf.
the infantry on ooi was almost ALL trained to elite after your first 2 drops.
obviously, this will be hard to fight, especially after i set all the inf to DEFEND.

Quote:

especially with the enemy consistently adding inf to the planet, either by
SY spawning and dropping, or by jumping in and dropping. Sooo, we

there was no need to do so and i dont think anyone did it. (there wasnt a SY on it)

however, the planet had 7 barracks, so infantry regenerated quickly, while you guys took forever and, frankly, never seriously dropped on a scale that would have been sufficient.

Quote:

Total bomb payout was "supposed" to be 4 x 18 bombs per ship = 72

a picture says more than 1000 words:
http://hydra.is-a-geek.net/ds/newbombing/

as can be seen, most of the bombs did not make it.
the shield of the planet hardly went down to 80% if i remember right.

conclusion:
shield generators should not stack anymore with the new system. shield generators could come in 3 levels, level 3 *slightly* stronger than the current version (120% maybe).

the dictor bases should also come in 3 levels, with level 3 extending as far as 2300 gu or less.

Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 11:34   
wow that is weird... seing myself as red

Oh and sono, please the next time I /send sono to shut up please do so, because I had alot of hard time reading good info on that chat mess

And there whas 3 bombdread + 2 or 3 bomb dessy, all stream bombing. And know what? 1 bomb landed on Ooi during the stream bomb.

During the mass bomb, only Nub's bomb hitted Ooi. The others forogt to stay with their bombs all the time
well later

stuck in Univercity limbo

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 11:39   
yes, streaming never really worked against shields tho, did it?

oh and i didnt see the send you sent.. must have been because of the chat mess

Atom$k {PK}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 11:41   
I find bomber dreads to be fine for bombing planets....IF there's nobody around. A fleet of 1 supp and two trannies (and of course your BmDr...we'll call it that) can easily knock out the shields through constant, repetitive mashing on one particular spot until the shields give way. And if there are no shields, all the better. The average planet has only 8, maybe 9 defense bases guarding a rather large planet. The trick is to get close. Like, say there's no dictor (commonplace, these days. shame on you UGTO). You can just jump to a planet and you're already at the perfect distance. I've even found it effective to move at around the same speed or a little faster than the planet's rotating ( .9gu/s) and it works fine.

BEHOLD: The new way of cloud bombing....'cept, no cloud. just a long green line o_O Even if you are restricted to 5 bombs per...ship, i guess....It's still enough to stream at that distance Try it before you knock it. Even if you've tried it before....just...try it *nudges*

And to all you who are complaining <.< shadaaaaap

-Xin

Forgive me for I have Xinned

[ This Message was edited by: Xin on 2004-03-09 11:44 ]

Once a Pirate, always -$|P-

Email Atom$k {PK}
JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-09 12:45   
I've yet to try stream bombing against an ICC planet, but last night it seemed like a cake walk to bomb Okag, which had (if I'm not misaken) 10 Def Base III's around the center, so no matter which side of the planet you were on, there would be at least 2 of those def bases firing.

99% of the elite k'luth infantry were gone in a matter of seconds. Now of course I saw UGTO the other day trying to bomb Europa with only one shield gen, and it took them 30 minutes and multiple bombing ships to penetrate the shield. sono even gave up his ship trying to shield his bombs long enough so they could hit the planet. I can just imagine what it would've taken with another shield gen. :/

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 12:57   
OK yet ANOTHER brilliant Kat Idea

Anyone here ever play Star Wars Rebellion? Remember how you could send in special ops teams... Commando's and such, to take out planetary shields and laser batteries.

The commando's, depending on the types of units defending, and the type of commando, and the number of units being sent on the op, had a hit or miss chance of taking the target out.

A simplified version of the same system could work very well for us... You build and load special infantry units, which launch in a special stealth infanty pod.. depending on the amount of ecm available to cover their entry and how many enemy infantry are deployed in proximity to the target they have a 50% chance of destroying the target

Or something like that

DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 14:31   
have been bombing some planets with JC; works as usual, although stackbombing is now impossible

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-09 15:14   
Star Wars Rebellion!!

Now there's you a good game.

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-03-09 15:18 ]

Email Bobamelius
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-09 16:46   
Quote:

On 2004-03-09 09:45, Juxtapose wrote:
I was under the impression that once you drop your inf, their orders revert back to attack. Once on the planet, it is tough to click back on all of them and order 'Raze' when most are already two diamonds away from what you dropped them on.

Your not mistaken Jux,

as for bombing, if you dont have a sheild your screwd. and all i have to say is Ha ha hahah ahahahahahhaha ah ahahaha aha ahahahahahhahahahahhahahhhhhahaaaahhahah .. oh yeah.. and a Sux to be you .. lol

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-09 18:07   
Im gonna have to agree with DOM on this one. The JC is extremely effective, even on ICC planets. you shoot your PCMs, then ARs so they hit just before, and youre PCMs will get through. and one PCM does TONS.

Anubis132
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 18:27   
[quote]
On 2004-03-09 15:14, Bobamelius wrote:
Star Wars Rebellion!!

Now there's you a good game.

Yup.

What is mind?
Doesn't matter.
What is matter?
Nevermind.

Goto the website of Anubis132
Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 20:23   
i must agree that bombing is terrible now but why has no one thought of a pcm cloud?, well nm wont kill sheilds

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-09 23:23   
[quote]
On 2004-03-09 11:22, sono wrote:
first let me comment a bit

Quote:

On 2004-03-08 23:02, -=~NubMarine~=- wrote:
We were pretty sucessful in removing the UGTO fleet from Ooi in BD. Now

Quote:

just to make this clear, the ugto fleet had a strength of about 7-12 ships against your ~40

Ok, firstly, your screenshots didn't prove half as much as you think they did. But they DID help me clarify some information on the situation in BD that not even I was even aware of:

One of which is that your screenshot clearly shows that there were only 22 to 24 ICC in the system. Funny how numbers get inflated when your massively outnumbered...

And Second, there were even more bombers than I realized in the operation, and it really didn't matter because I was the only 1 that seemed to know what he was doing. ( I am the Mad Bomber of Okag, after all, but thats a story that goes back over a year ago...) I.E.: several of the bombers were out of position, and I was the only 1 that actually COVERED his bombs from the planetary defense. I also didn't die in over 3 attempted runs, as several of my comrads fell to a much worse fate.

Quote:

as can be seen, most of the bombs did not make it.
the shield of the planet hardly went down to 80% if i remember right.

Your screenshots also did not prove much of the information that you have stated about the ICC's attempts at bombing Ooi. Neither shot actually shows the bombs hitting the planet. I know for a fact that when my bombs DID hit, I watched the shields drop, as I normally do. I recall very clearly that I got them down to 81%, pretty much on my own.

Anyway, I will say that my initial posting was coming from a very heated individual who was quite frustrated by that point. However, I may have been wrong in some of my assessments on the current bombing system. After getting together with some "experienced" bombers in my fleet. I came to a quick conclusion towards sucessful bombing in 1.481: bomb with people you KNOW can bomb well. Thats really all there is to it.

One of my fleetmates who spent quite a bit of time in Beta testing the new system had some pointers for me. Trust me, we are both still learning, but I realize that our Runs on Ooi yesterday were quite flawed and could have been executed 90% - 95% better. As I did state, it was quite a chaotic scene with that many ships in attendance, and I could hardly think straight by the time I logged ( major migraine by that point).

I'm sure Faustus and the DEVS wouldn't make bombing impossible, but it's sure hella harder, at least in some instances.

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-10 02:51   
Quote:

bomb with people you KNOW can bomb well. Thats really all there is to it.

But, how is this differernt from .480

thanks for your insightful reply!

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-10 06:01   
Hmmm... Right after 1.481 went live, I vaped Junction- which had a mix of ICC and UGTO DBs- with a Missile Dreadnought, solo. Well, there was a raging fleet battle, hehe. The DBs had depleted down to about 0-5% energy on my facing simply from firing so often.

On numerous other occasions I have bombed in more conventional manners, although my ICC bomber of choice is now the bomber destroyer rather than the bomber dreadnought.

It IS possible to bomb, you just arn't doing it right...

If you're facing ICC DBs, put inf pods in front of the bombs. If there's enough inf dumped out to take all the pulse beams being fired, then it'll work just as if it was a cloud. If there's not, the exploding MIRVs will destroy the infantry... so be careful.

Bombing UGTO and K'luth planets is more straightforward. MIRVs have huge AoE now, so you don't have to land hits directly on or even very close to structures to do damage to them.

If all else fails, just bring an ECM boat. Problem solved...

[ This Message was edited by: Sandalpocalypse on 2004-03-10 06:06 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030608 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR