No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Fighters
 Author Fighters
Eleda
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-10 16:10   
As we all know fighters are causing a hell of a lot of problems at the moment as the servers simply can't handle that many objects. Sure limiting the fighterbays to a maximum of 5 fighters might solve things in the short term, but once player numbers (hopefully) go up they will be a problem again, not to mention the current problems that still happen around clusters.

A way i could see of lowering the load on the servers without taking anything further away from fighter-based vessles (and to a lesser extent missile based weapons) is to combine fighters (or missiles) when they launch from a single location at a single object. They would have the model for multiple fighters flying in very close formation, but would simply be a single object with multiple cannons and the ability to take multiple hits, based on how many were launched.

This might not be very clear, so to make it more so

1 Fighter launched at single target- As now

2 Fighters launched at single target-Only a single object is created, but its model is that of two fighters. It has two cannon's and can take two beam hits (or,when/if implemented,double damage) before being destroyed

3 Fighters launched at single target-Only a single object is created, but its model is that of three fighters in close formation. It has three cannons and can take three beam hits (or,when/if implemented, triple damage) before being destroyed

And so on up to 8 (the current maximum). Of course each 'hit' against a fighter formation would reduce it in size to the object that is one smaller than it (so a 3 fighter object that takes a hit would be reduced to a 2 fighter object).

Is this even feasable?

Email Eleda
Roger
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-10 18:01   
I sugested something like this for mines. Instead of droping mines, we could drop mine field object. As area of mine field increases probability of ship hiting mine decreases. And of course if we have more mines, chance of hiting mine is higher.

Mine fields could be of differant shapes. Donut shape for example to lay mines around planets. Square/line. Circle, etc.

This can also takes care of COB

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-11 11:18   
Lets wait for the new fighters first.

Email Tbone
Eleda
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-11 13:22   
Quote:

On 2004-03-11 11:18, T "Sugar Buns" Bone wrote:
Lets wait for the new fighters first.

If your thinking the new fighters with their reduced poly-count will help the servers you are wrong. They will make things easyer client-side, but the server will still have to deal with the same number of objects.

This 'grouping' effect could also be applied to bombers and interceptors.

Email Eleda
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-11 15:35   
How about fighters are restricted to a flat plane like us? They cant fly up and around but instead to our sides etc.

Email Ascension(Purge)
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-11 20:26   
You know... I think way way long ago a squadron of fighters was a single object...

Email Tbone
Page created in 0.028259 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR