Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Newbie Guide (Click Here!)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Newbie Guide (Click Here!)
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-10 17:42   
Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor do I consider myself a vet. Feel free to learn for yourself. With the influx of new players, I thought I would make a guide to help out.

Bito's Guide to Being a n00b in This Brave New MetaVerse

First of all, let me define n00b, newbie, n00balicious, cannon-fodder, and all the other words that veterans and older players call new players. It simply means you are new. Simple? Of course, not derogatory. Everyone who plays this game is a n00b at one point in time, the trick is learning and becoming able to work with those in your environment.

So let's light this candle.

1. When traveling in the MV, one of the key objectives is capping planets. Therefore, every ship, from the supply ships to the combat ships to the transports needs to have infantry. If you are a combat ship, whatever space isn't taken up in your hold by extra components should have inf. Every little bit helps.

2. When capping a planet, don't sit around uselessly. If you see that something needs to be done, do it. For example, a planet needs more inf in order to capture it. Grab a transport and get infantry.

3. If you don't know what needs to be done, ask.

4. When dropping infantry onto a hostile planet, don't drop from maximum distance. They won't get through. You will need to get close, and this will help keep spam down if the vets don't have to tell you 497 times for every planet.

5. When a wormhole is opened to a planet, and the objective is to capture it, move in swiftly to capture it. Don't mess around. Get to orbit as quickly as possible (as quickly as the slowest ship), and get those inf down. You never know when an enemy ship or fleet will show up.

6. Always wait to drop until everyone drops their infantry. This will confuse the PD and ensure that a goodly amount of inf get through, and let the planet cap.

7. When a wormhole is opened to an enemy planet in an enemy system, and the fleet you are in is moving in quietly, don't let the enemy know you are there by /y. There is no need to let them know you are there until you have captured a planet or two.

8. Don't taunt your enemy, it will make him madder. Then he will kick your ass.

9. Never, ever put [S.W]Griller_GT or [S.W]AdmBito on follow for a jump. Whole fleets have been known to disappear into the sun.

10. If you happen to be supplying a bomber, keep up and stay out of the way. This isn't a knock on you, it is just a fact that the bomber pilot needs to be able to focus on his target without worrying about whether he will be supplied. Always keep the bomber between yourself and the planet, so as not to run through the strean/cloud of bombs.

11. If a small ship flys under a big ship, and the small ship is an enemy ship, don't shoot the small ship! Personal anecdote: ICC was trying to capture a planet, and I was in a station orbiting it. An EAD spawns out of the shipyard under me. I lost my station due almost to 100% FF. I actually died when the EAD blew up, but the fleet got my hull to under 5% hull. Watch your Friendly Fire.

12. DON'T USE CAPS LOCK ALL THE TIME. IT IS REALLY ANNOYING AND HARD TO SEE IMPORTANT STUFF. If you have something important to say, say it. If no one hears you, whisper it to someone who is being listened to, and they will relay it.

13. Everyone can't be a combat ship. A fleet needs to be a fleet. Don't be afraid to get a ship that isn't decked out with 12 gun decks. Transports are the most inportant ship in the game right now, and a fleet needs a couple of good tranny pilots. I'm pointing at Green and Grimith right now.

14. If you need supply, sometimes, just sometimes, you may have to wait for it. The best supply ship on ICC has two reloads, a station has 3, so sometimes there isn't a reload available after a heated battle. Most supply ships will make time for ammo reloads, though, just /t (whisper) it to them.

15. Ask questions, don't be annoying.

16. I've seen UGTO players jump into the middle of ICC fleet (don't know if ICC players do this) all bythemselves. What are them hoping to accomplish? Stop, wait for a few more ships, and organize. You are only making prestige for the other side. If you keep yourselves close, jump out and repair, and organize in battle, you can damae the larger fleet, even if you don't drive it off. Don't just jump in one at a time though. This goes to all players, not just UGTO, sorry if you guys are singled out.

*EDIT* 17. Read the RoC. Know the RoC. Don't cuss, swear, be racist, be political, make fun of Rogue's trailor park, or anything else distasteful over the regular chat. Period.

This guide is more ettiquette based than technique based. I know it doesn't cover everything, nor does it cover most things. Hell, It may not ever be right. I only know two are right, and those are from experience.....#8 and 9. Anyway, all you vets out there, add more, and correct what I messed up, and n00bs, post what you've learned too.

Bito

Another Josef Masterpiece

Attack? I'm too pretty for that...

[ This Message was edited by: JAdmBito on 2004-03-10 17:47 ]

Puppies gotta die, too.

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-10 22:40   
Pretty good stuff there, Bito. Any newbie should look at this and know a good deal more than they should of how to behave in the MV.

I can also attest from personal experience the single, most important rule of them all:

Quote:

On 2004-03-10 17:42, JAdmBito wrote:

9. Never, ever put [S.W]Griller_GT or [S.W]AdmBito on follow for a jump. Whole fleets have been known to disappear into the sun.

If you EVER do this, you are practically inviting the grim reaper onto your ship and offering your crew along with the tea and pukka nosh. It's generally a good idea to not put any [S.W] on follow (unless you get a bunch of other people to do it and make a posse ).

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-10 22:58   
Then the sun gets a whole 7 course meal. Tasty ICC ships! Mmmm!The first thing I did in release of v1.481 was mod an Assault Dread and move to Sol where the fight was happening.

I was sitting in deepspace....blah blah blah, some K'luth happened upon me, Griller rescued me, we jumped to Callisto, I right behind him.

I see his AC plow right into the planet, and before I have time to type "lol", my crew is jettisoning the life pods and the warning lights are going off as we are plowing into the surface.

Just another day in the life of S.W!

Another Josef Masterpiece

Attack? I'm too pretty for that...

[ This Message was edited by: JAdmBito on 2004-03-10 23:08 ]

Puppies gotta die, too.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-18 18:17   
ROFL! Trying not to laugh too hard in the library right now

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-18 19:33   
Quote:

Dont ever put a ship on follow even in normal space. If a player says follow me, DO IT MANUALLY, don't use the F command.

You will find a lot of experienced players close orbiting, or sling-shoting around planets, using the planet as a shield from enemy fire often while building speed, if your on follow you can easily end up tasting dirt.

Players have even been known to use the following ship as a shield placing it between the enemy fire and their own ship. I've never do this of course.

So don't follow with F command.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-05-10 10:19 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-19 17:17   
New Entry:

18. When capping a planet, realize not all planets need to be bombed. When waiting for a planet to be captured, after infantry are dropped, do not bomb the planet, especially with PCMs if you do not know what you are doing. Your bombing may hit friendly inf, causing the process to take much, much longer than expected. A PCM hit will also wipe out many of the buildings on the planet, which will require an engineer to repair. When trying to gain a foothold in an enemy system, this is merely a setback.

Puppies gotta die, too.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-19 19:27   
if theres 10 or less infantry on a friendly planet, dont load them onto your ship.
likewise, if you're loading inf, and the number of inf left reaches 10, stop and go finish loading inf at some other planet

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-08 19:31   
*Ahem* Some of you haven't taken the time to read through this, nor ask for directions. There are a few "vets" out there who are doing the same. I won't name names, though, to protect the stupid. Unless, of course, you want me to. Silly things too, that mean a fleet can't move efficiently.

19. Try to follow a leader. This isn't Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Decisions shouldn't be made by a group, nor by the man with the biggest ship. It should be made by the one who won't get you killed, and who will accomplish the mission.

20. Focus. I know this is hard for some of the younger, more ADD imbued players. But try. Because there are two UGTO ships sitting at a planet, and you and your entire fleet of 20 ships are on a mission to capture a planet, do not incite a revolt to go on a search and destroy mission to kill those ships. It is counter productive.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Griffinith
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-10 03:14   
Quote:

On 2004-05-08 19:31, AdmBito wrote:
19. Try to follow a leader. It should be made by the one who won't get you killed,

Well.. there goes my shot at being leader.

Only member of the fearsome Scouters!

Huffywuffy, Mr. Builder
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2004-05-10 04:09   
Quote:

On 2004-03-18 19:33, Wyke wrote:
Players have even been known to use the following ship as a shield placing it between the enemy fire and their own ship. I've never dont this of course.

Oh. But I do.
So be careful out there.

Mariano (peace)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-10 05:28   
Quote:

last night in Bernards star

/t what happend to your dictor?
AdmBito sent: the sun

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-05-10 13:32   
Quote:

On 2004-05-10 05:28, Mariano (Peace) wrote:
Quote:

last night in Bernards star

/t what happend to your dictor?
AdmBito sent: the sun

The line was white...

Puppies gotta die, too.

Puny
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-10 14:06   
[Qoute By AdmBito]:16. I've seen UGTO players jump into the middle of ICC fleet (don't know if ICC players do this) all by themselves. -- End Quote

That's me!

That's my awesome tactic of aggrivating the ICC fleets by jumping in with my Gunboat Dessie and making a hassle out of myself.

So all your Nuublars (Also known as Newbies), don't follow my lead, when I jump somewhere..

Follow someone else.

-Puny

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-05-11 16:55   
I know its been mentioned above but it's my pet rant today after the fiasco in VM & Lalande today.

DO NOT take troops from a shipyard planet.

WHY: A Barracks takes 4 mins to generate a heavy, 2 mins for light, If a transport takes 10 heavy it will take most shipyard planets 40 mins to replace those heavy troops. The Transport can probably make a round trip in less than 4 mins, less time than it takes to replace 1 heavy, you load another 10 troops and your shipyard is reduced to 12+1 generated. It now takes that planet 1 hour :20 mins to replace the troops you've removed in the last 4 min.

Those 20 troops you've dropped on the enemy planet, 2-4 have been killed by the defense bases, and the rest have killed about 16 defenders. They have also trained up a couple to elite and another couple to hardened through combat experience. Since it probably wasn't a sy planet your trying to cap, it will certainly had more barracks at least 2 and perhaps 4, so, the his losses have been replaced with 4 fresh heavy troops or 8 light. The planet is now at around 20 troops, and will repace the rest in about 10-12 mins, your shipyard will be on about about 16 troops.

He's in no rush, after all you might drop another 10 and reduce your SY to less than 10. The enemy now loads up those E/H troops, and lets the planet regenerate troops at 2-4 times the rate your is. When his planet is full he pulls a few off at the rate his barracks are generating them. So his planet never falls below 28 troops. Even if you tranny another 10 troops he planet is under threat, he know that to capture a planet you need to have a larger force for 1 min on the planet, he can always redrop the troops he has in his hold if he needs to. Your 20 troops where never going to cap his planet.

After about 12 mins he has 10 troops loaded into his tranny including a few e and h and 32 on his planet.

He can make his first drop, his 10 troops, will kill about 10 of yours, reducing you to around 6-10 troops, he makes a round trip in 4 mins, pull another 10 troops, leaving his planet on around 22 + 2-4 generated. And drops those, His E/H troops have probably the initial drop survived and you're down to around 10 troops tops, and he now has around 12 troops drown, after a min he controls the planet and your shipyard, if needed he can make a third drop know that your in no possition to threatern his planets remaining 18 troops.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-05-12 11:32 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-05-11 17:23   
Ehehehehehe

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030524 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR