No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » MV concept shift: Good worlds Vs Bad worlds
 Author MV concept shift: Good worlds Vs Bad worlds
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-12 03:09   
I would like to start off this dicussion by saying how much the NEW MV Rocks, even the Rocks rock. But anyway the New MV is a masterpeice.

I would like to start a discussion about anyone else seeing a planet as being odd if its some worthless rock that may or may not only just have metals to mine, and this worthless rock has 90billion people living on it because somebody decided to build a dome or make infantry to scrap to fill the dome.( Maybe there shold be a difference between robot Population and Human/kluth Population) I personally see the future as people saying "who the (explative) would want to live there?"

I am aware that there is a bigger issue here and that is playability. I fully agree, if the game isnt fun who would want to play it? As the MV gets bigger with more and more space avalible to explore and seek out new treasures/ adventures. I would like to Suggest that bad worlds and Good worlds get reworked. I suggest a change on how population treats these worlds. I say that population should be treated like a comodity, just as metals.

Population should be one of your greatest resources. Why? since It would be hard to find people that would be Willing to work in the DarkMatter mines on a inhospitible world. Maybe people would have to think twice b4 bombing an entire outpost world to dust if they could rescue the population and bring them back home!

I suggest bad worlds at best only being able to Draw maybe 10pop normally without forced labor. The Closer one of these worlds was to a good world (like Le or Earth) then the population would be Scalled higher. Yes i do see people bombing these outposts, but i also see a new frontier for places to go grab some cheap labor.( yeah its wrong but cmon its just a sim,) I think this would also be a bit easier on the servers till everyone had enough forced labor to run everything.

The 3 types of Labor population
    Android= 1 pop anywhere, gains advantage on non atmos worlds..no dome needed.
    Human= 1 on oxygen worlds, 75% on worlds with terraforming domes, 50% on non atmos worlds with domes
    Kluth= 1 on all atmosphere worlds, 50% on worlds with domes

New Class of vessels

Labor Trader: NPC, allows people to buy/sell pop at unreasonable prices

Labor Transport: Allows movement of Labor from planet to planet and sys to sys, Silver Trannie, bronze combat, 2nd Ra Rank
    2ie,1jd,1hv armor,2 lasers, cargo room 5 human pop or 7 android or 3 kluth.

Kluth Allocation Drone: same as above, 1 ie,1jd,1ruptor, 2 bio,1cloak,1auto, Cargo room same as above.

Population can be carried arround by normal ships but at the cost of 4 normal cargo slots per 1 population of anytype.

My aim in suggesting this is to cast my vote for more realism, I know one day when the planets are sized up to there rightful sizes that the dust on this thread might brushed off.

-Vicious

The World Is Not Enough

[ This Message was edited by: Vicious on 2004-03-12 03:17 ]

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 07:56   
How about, for non-Terran planets that are not Moons (very important), there are limitation to building the planet dictated by the type of hub first set-up on the planet.

Hub Types

Mining Colony: +% modifier to mines... need less folks to work in them and they require less tech to build level 3. -% to food and pop for other things. These wouldn't be allowed to have Fighter bases or Hvy Infantry or any type 3 Structure other than Power and Mining.

Unique Structures: Mines will produce all resources, even those not available on the planet...but only in trace amounts. 1 per 100 normally found.

Military Outpost: these would be v1.481 equivelent of Deathstars. Tech levels and pop needed for all things Defense + Shipyards are lower. Again, because it is a atmosphereless world, it requires more population to work the civilian duties like domes and mines and farms and power. But no modifier for Barracks...there is another type for that.

Unique Structures: The Hub acts as a Shipyard for Destroyer Level ships. Also, when enemy craft are detected near by, the Hub will producer several AI stock Destroyers to defend the planet.

Skunk Works: All factory requirements are reduced by 50% tech to produce but are increased in cost by 50% Resources gained, however, suffer from a 50% penalty and all things require double the pop and food.

Unique Structures: The ability for Factories on this planet to randomly generate other Faction Tech and to build Faction tech that has + modifiers. i.e. Super Tracking Torps. CL500's that do +10% damage

Penal Colony: Special Barracks build Heavy Infantry to Hardened levels. All things require constant resources to maintain or the planet could revolt, so supply lines are key. Pop and Food require triple the normal and so do building things. Atleast 10 Normal Infantry are required on the planet at all times or the planet revolts.

Unique Structures: Prison Camps which produce Hvy Infantry at Hard levels, or Shock Troopers with 200 hit points

other types could be:

Resort Worlds: Raises the morale of all friendly planets in the system

Regular Colony Worlds

Religious Colonies if you invade them, the pop converts to infantry and dies defending the planet...but not hvy infantry, light green ones...damn fanatics...

Any planet that is a moon of a terran world could be build the same way as it is now. No penalities....

Just an idea...

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 10:12   
I've always thought there ought to be different types of colony hubs we could build, as per Ux's post.

That way, for instance, a mining planet could be set up, an inf planet could be set up, and invading forces would be able to strangle the system strategically.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 11:43   
Quote:

On 2004-03-12 10:12, AdmBito wrote:
I've always thought there ought to be different types of colony hubs we could build, as per Ux's post.

That way, for instance, a mining planet could be set up, an inf planet could be set up, and invading forces would be able to strangle the system strategically.

Bito

Haha, I said, "Strategy"

What was I thinking?

Puppies gotta die, too.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 11:43   
Quote:

On 2004-03-12 10:12, AdmBito wrote:

Bito

Haha, I said, "Strategy"

What was I thinking?

Puppies gotta die, too.

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 13:12   
Uh oh, is Bito actually starting to employ tactics and skill to his DS game? Look out K'luth/UGTO... Bito's going to smite you all!

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-12 17:20   
Damn Fine ideas Jux!

youll find me in the Beer Garden of eden! wOOt for the Drunken ICC!!!

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 18:06   
Apparently, this is turning into the S.W fleet forum.

Puppies gotta die, too.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-12 19:21   
Good stuff here, but I'm gonna offer a counterargument for the sake of havin an opposing viewpoint:

I say the population we see on our most repulsive barren planets are WILLING colonists. You see, each faction has this mysterious home world system (or even galaxy for all we know) out there somewhere. The only way we know these home world systems exists is due to the our home world jumpgates. Where do these jumpgates go? We don't know, nobody's ever seen where they lead. But they lead somewhere. EDIT: Since they don't actually exist ingame, they're simulated by the ship select screen. Before 1.481, those home systems were where every ship came from. Now, they can also come from the frontier itself, a very smart tactical decision from our factions' mysteriously missing leadership! /EDIT

This makes the MV a 'frontier' only. It's not the whole known galaxy it's just the star systems being fought over. Therefore the population we have here in these frontier systems are willing colonists; the unwilling are still back in our mysterious home worlds. It can be assumed that every one of them volunteered to colonize those cold barren planets and mine those dirty mines. Who knows why? Maybe it's overpopulation in our home systems, maybe it's the thrill of adventure, maybe it's dreams of wealth and fame, maybe it's boredom (why did American frontiersmen venture west? Why did European colonists set sail for the new world?)

And to explain why there's political unrest sometimes? Well, it happens. Look at the American colonies. They were willing and wound up with tons of unrest! Same thing happens in our MV.

Now, that's just my storyline theory to offer a counterargument. Both arguments are perfectly viable mind you. But now we have food for thought.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-03-12 19:28 ]

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-13 02:34   
Good point Sparkle, I never thought about the hOme gates b4. Maybe those should be Fazed out for some kind of home World for each faction. Hopefully they would give the Homeworlds some sort of Uberness that only they would have, like lots of DEF or automated npc ships for round the clock def.

hehe n e way, Has anyone else noticed how much Xtra space there is in the MV.. where it seems that all the Systems are only taken up 1/4 of the map? could this be for planet Resizing? or are there hidden goodies out there that we should boldly go and seek out?

but back to the Topic of population, i think that there is a middle ground between playability and realism, and one day we will be there but that day is not today.

The future MV: i would Like to see Planets at somewhat there actually size, and more realistic distances. 3d movement, A CUBIC MV ... OMG!@
Even if there had to be less planets. some kind of enertia. More Dynamic ships, the Gafin has moving parts why not some Animation for everyone elses ships? Like drives moving up and down.. or shuttle bays opening? How about knowing when your enemy is about to fire because they have to Charge there weapons and you could see there Torpedo bays open up.. or detect the buildup in energy. These ships are way to Arcade. I want to see somebody be able to punch holes through an enemys ship when there armor/sheilds are gone.. I want to see real damage.. burn marks, schorched areas, diffrent dmg holes, people comming back to port with only one nacel,, Cus the other one got blown off! Unique Damage, i would like to see DS need a Joystick so i can escape off my crippled ship in a fighter to a friendly port. anyway Gimmie gimmie gimmie!

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-13 02:39   
this would also give the UGTO an advantage ( OMG )

they would have luna aswell to help with the defence...to me this sounds like a pretty good idea, it also means that each faction always has one good planet to spawn at. ( as i supose it shouldnt be able to cap due to the fact that if it was caped, no one would be able to spawn at all....

/me signs for making homewolrds gates

[edit]spelling[/edit]

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash{Loves Rachel} on 2004-03-13 05:02 ]

Page created in 0.022859 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR