No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Boring old mines!
 Author Boring old mines!
Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-12 11:42   
ok, so mines have been the same for forever.. someone has probably suggested this before, but hey, i'll do it again =o) mines are pretty boring as is, and quite limited in terms of modding.

i was pondering alternate mine types and heres a few that might be interesting:

mini-defense platform mine.

this is a mine with say 20 rounds of whatever(railgun/gauss/etc.)
that shoots off its rounds and then detonates itself.

homing mine.

you see these a lot in all sorts of sci fi, a limited homing mine where its got some kinda super-electromagnet and is attracted to the hulls of passing ships, i think its called a limpet mine? anyhow, these pull themselves towards a ship and go kablooey after a short period of time tracking.

sensor mine

small mine with a sensor range, call it 500 gu that you can deploy to act as a semi short range scanner. detonates itself after a few minutes etc or after it runs out of energy(give it 20energy and no recharge, run a scanner).

ecm/eccm mine

make it a weak ecm/eccm emitter. say only 250 gu range and a 1 sig +/-. give it energy of like 20 and no recharge.

anyhow, just a few thoughts on mines, since i like using them, but only having a single mine launcher on a ship kinda makes it useless unless someone is chasing you in a straight line.

Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:28   
if you think, mines are boring, ask a few old players about:

Darksworde, Darkheyr, Wicked Ice, Kamikaze Chicken, g0ds s0ldier.......

and you will find out that mining isn't such boring....

Email Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-   Goto the website of Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-12 12:50   
mining is amazing if you know what your doing, just gotta know where to do it, and when...

after that its up to whether the other pilot/s is/are stupid or clever...

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-12 13:25   
Not in 1.481... *sigh*. Mines are apparently targetable without a scanner (or every battle I've been in someone has one ), so even if they did enough damage to be worth laying, they usually get blown up before that. I like some of those suggestions... it would bring a practical use for mines, rather than just wasting CPU power like they do now.

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-12 13:28   
Actually with mines having their own slot we should have advanced mines, since noone can make gigantic minefields anymore

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
AdmiralChaos III
Midshipman

Posted: 2004-03-12 13:51   
i miss putting 6 nukes on my ac... and sorn dont forget 4cemj or jux or me =P

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-12 17:21   
Yeah I miss that stuff too. I don't agree with the people that are saying mines are a defensive weapon. That's what made them completely unmoddable (especially for Kluth)I'd say mines in DS are similar in nature to those used in WWI and II (was it both wars?). They weren't placed in your own harbors or shipping lanes! And they certainly weren't launched into the sea anywhere near your own fleet. They were OFFENSIVE, meant for enemy harbors and shipping lanes!

I like to think DS's mines are also offensive in the same sort of way. We have to get them moddable again at the very least! And ideally, we need the variety of mines Southpark mentioned. Variety in modding is a good thing And offensive mining is a good thing.

Honestly, I would change two aspects of our DS mines though if they become moddable again:

First, no more self-detonation. Once they're laid they're active and need contact with a hull (or asteroid or planet in the case of a homing/magnetic mine) before they detonate; or they can be detected with a scanner and safely eliminated. And pulsing mines should safely eliminate them too, not explode them. Self-detonating mines takes away the very idea of what a mine is, and I've always thought that.

Second, they need to be neutral. That means they will damage either an enemy OR a friendly coming in contact with them. After all, they are mines! Our missiles don't discriminate, and it's safe to say they'd be the 'intelligent' weapon when compared to a simple mine. Why do our mines do nothing at all to our ships, yet our missiles can cause all sorts of friendly fire problems?

I think with those two changes mines could be a very fun and (most importantly) very tactical weapon that are worthy of being moddable again. And with Southpark's cool ideas it would even more fun!

Page created in 0.012795 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR