Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Yup, Another Locked ShipYard Thread
 Author Yup, Another Locked ShipYard Thread
SuperQuack69
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-13 16:27   
I know what your saying, Oh god another thread about That damn Shipyard. Frist off Id like to say that I love pretty much all the changes 1.481 has brought. Including the shipyard. The tech level in the build system is great. The menu set up is far better then the previous set up.

When i started playing darkspace i played in the scenario servers. I never really liked or cared for the metaverse till this patch. The whole idea of taking forever to travel any where never really sat well with me. I liked getting into the action. The way the shipyards frist were opened it up to me and made it very enjoyable. Now its not really that much fun.

My Main proplem is with the current system of the shipyard. Its been made too restrictive, unless you enjoy going around in unmodded ships and taking a long time to travel between systems.

Granted that yes it was being explioted, I myself did do my fair share of taking infantry from other systems thru the shipyards. That did need to be stoped. But locking ships to each spefic shipyard was just to big of a nerf. I know that this was the way the shipyards were intended to function but its made the metaverse, at least for me less enjoyable to play in.

Over the last couple of days ive read all kinds of suggestions and complints about the people that made them about this subject. So heres mine.

-The infantry expliot needed to be taken out. I wont complain about that.
-There could be a timelimit put on the use of the shipyard so that once its used it would be unselectable by the user for a little bit.
-A timelimit between the time ships could come out. to prevent a fleet poping out extreamly fast.
-A locked tech level limit to stop people from poping a station or something at one shipyard then automaticly transporting it to another shipyard that couldnt of produced it in the frist place.

I know some people dont really care for players like me, complaining about the way the shipyard is now. And all i can really say is that I dont really care. It shouldnt really matter. This is after all a free trial. Its ment to entice new and old players into getting a subscription. And the people that dont get one, will be gone in less then a week. so repress that urge to complain about my post and it will eventully be bumped off the forum.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-03-13 17:48   
actually.....pretty good post.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-13 18:09   
All good points. However, I'm not sure of the technical feasibility of just "removing" the infantry exploit- it seems more complicated than that. You might even have to dump infantry out.

Besides which, w/o locked shipyards, there still is the Resources exploit- which exists in two ways- you can zoom yourself to another shipyard and dump out 2000 hypermatter or something, and with unlocked shipyards you don't need to spend resources for already created ships.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-13 18:35   
Well sandal that's the thing. Why do ships have to stay 'already created'? I figure, the moment you use the shipyard your ship should be dismantled, and by choosing a different shipyard to spawn at you're rebuilding it there, mods and everything. So you HAVE to spend the resources, and of course you can't bring any infantry or cargo along.

At least, that's how I ideally see it.

Blue Ice
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-14 02:18   
i liked everythin in your post minus your third point.

Sparkle.... uhh no!

Email Blue Ice
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-14 05:54   
Well, if you want to bring in the realism argument, Sparkle...

You wouldnt dismantle a complete dreadnought just because it docked!

Ship construction should take a lot of time!

The Shipyard structure can only be the ground support and control strucutre for an orbital drydock - we are buildign ships that NEVER land!

A dock would have a maximum total capacity!

etc, pp...

how much of this is worth thinking of for the game?

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-14 09:04   
Well we can either have them dismantled when we enter shipyards and have it rebuilt at the other shipyards, or we can create duplicate ships everywhere.

I'm speaking for a system that lets us spawn our modded ships anywhere. Sorry if I didn't mention that last night. The docking thing just reinforces locked shipyards in my mind, and I do not the locked shipyards. So for a system that allows our modded ships to spawn anywhere, how do you explain the docking/spawning thing? It's either gonna be a jumpgate-type thing where our ship warps across the galaxy to the new shipyard, or it's dismantled where it docks and rebuilt where it spawns. OR...the docked ship stays put but a duplicate is built at the other shipyard (and we get tons upon tons of ships everywhere)

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-03-14 09:06 ]

Blue Ice
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-14 10:46   
why don't we go back to the old freakin way and stop this other bullSHHH!! God!

Email Blue Ice
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-14 11:05   
Well when it goes to remove infa compleately from storage, I'm aggainst it, What would append if you have no more planets? ummm try to take over an asteroid?.

Second, I think the present SY exploit is not transering infa from SY to SY, but to be able to spawn in a enemy infested area, and Despawn when you are a bit damage. It's worse than logging, cause they can access a new ship faster. And you know what? we tryed to get Okag, and we would have done it if that guy would have stopped spawning Dread after dread to SD on the station.

So I propose that when enemy PLAYERS(not ships or Celestial/Jumpgate Object) is closer than 1Kgu away from a planet, then that planet 's SY would not work. This will not only remove the GET-OUT-OF-DANGER-BY-USING-SY exploit, but will also remove the INSTA-FLEET-NEAR-INVADED-SY-PLANET and the BRING-INFA-TO-INVADED-PLANET exploits. Well now that ive finished this reply, Mr.Sparkle removing the ability to bring cargo and infa would destroy some playability value because All my ships(exept my supp and my unmoded scout) Has HvyInfa on board, because Im still affected by the Luth Capping all of ICC fear.

well later
Oh and Mr.Sparkle im supprise you dont whine about PS... I did damage you alot with your own Mirv

stuck in Univercity limbo

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-14 11:09   
But, see, that would end up being bleh. The enemy would just have to go for the SY planet in every system first and they've won. And the inf exploit is a HUGE concern.

[ This Message was edited by: Sandalpocalypse on 2004-03-14 12:00 ]

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-14 20:57   
Methinks a good ship yard plan would be this.

Infantry cant be transported across, so when yer ship docks, they get put on the planet.

also ships shouldnt fly out of the planet like they do. they should have to be "assembled" in orbit. so like a dreadnaught would take 2 minuts to assemble.

with this feature u could Unlock the shipyards becuase whos suicidal enough to have a ship being assembled under enemy fire.

this would not only cancle the shipyard-hopping-to-frontline bit, but would also add some realism.

i dunno IMHO thats a good idea.

Meko

Email Meko
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-14 21:17   
When did you damage me with my own mirvs? I don't remember.

But I agree with you on at least that one sy problem of constant, free spawning. But...that's only one of the problems of the old system. That's the thing. Your example of having no infantry to cap with if all your planets are capped is an extreme and rare case. What about every day play? What about 1 small fleet being able to cap a shipyard in an enemy system, then using that shipyard to bring constant new infantry from other systems to cap the rest? What about

And I know ALL about those tactics as I've used them tons. And so have others. I mean heck, they not only weren't considered an exploit when .481 went live, but were considered a great tactic! When I really look at it though, it's definitely cheesy to do.

You really don't see infantry ferrying as a problem as well? Most everyone else does, Like I said, that's a main reason for these new sy changes. And I have to say it took me a while of thinking about it before I agreed. It's just too abusable a situation to be able to bring infantry with you from one shipyard to another.

EDIT: http://www.darkspace.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=26162&forum=17&31
here this is where I got the infantry problem from.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-03-14 21:26 ]

Page created in 0.033057 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR