No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Side Mount Weapons & Battleship class ships
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Side Mount Weapons & Battleship class ships
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-15 18:58   
You also need to know that our current ships won't stay the same weapon-wise. The combat dread in 1.482 won't be the crappy newbie dread we have now.

One example I kinda remember is the mandible. It will be getting mostly forward weapons, including some heavy disruptors, regular disruptors, heavy am torps, regular am torps, psi missiles, light psi missiles (shredders), heavy psi cannon, and others. Gideon can correct any mistakes i'm making here. At least, that's the proposed armament.

Yep You read that correctly. There's gonna be lots of new weapons and weapon slots. So don't expect the ships we have currently to remain the way they are. I bet the combat dread will have a very good role, and broadside weapons on a dread is really useful vs small ships.

Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 19:01   
Battleship class? Sounds corny...how about Corvete class?

Email Ascension(Purge)
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-15 19:24   
There's a corvette class too. Mind you, these are classes, not the names of the ships. You aren't gonna fly a Corvette, but you will fly a corvette-class ship.

Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-15 19:54   
Isn't a corvette just a smaller frigate, i.e. a scout?

Unless this is a totally different thing ^_^

Hvy torps? 0_o i'm not a big fan of torps myself, was kinda hoping there'd some way for reg. weapons to have a role in the future battles

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-15 20:14   
Wow you guys are GOOD! Yeah Lupino, in fact I think the .482 corvette class will be a scout!

Am I spilling the beans on this too early? Sorry if I am. But I want people to get excited about what's coming to the beta server soon like I am.

Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 20:21   
is it just me, or does anyone else think that the GA server should just be turned into a beta scenario server? ^_^

especially as evidenced by 1.481, its hard to really get enough people into the MV to test a beta, and a scen can usually stress test most bugs out of a beta better than a persistant MV? anyhow, just my 0.02

and as much as some hate it, the GA server is an important part of DS, since its basically an advanced "newbie" server that allows a lot more "mistakes" to be made w/o any real consequences (eg. newbie building and basic fleet tactics)

Therefore hopefully the scenario servers will still receive at least a little consideration in future patch changes =o)

Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-15 20:33   
Realistically the ships would look nothing like they would look.

If there really were spacecraft for combat then they would be more like a rectangle with huge side pannels that are outside the main body, then tubes filled with oil so that when weapons hit the side panel it is obsorbed and less kinetic engy is transformed through the main body. So all you would really see is 4 or so big flat along the sides and 1 on the front and back.

Then you would have very very long poles or protrusions coming out with turrents on the end to cover more area.

But you see, this is a game. Side firing turrents like old sailboats and steamships would be so so fun. And I want to see pretty ships with unrealistic weapons because it is fun. Realistic space combat would be boring seeing as how each ship would fire their weapons and kill each other after 1 volley from both ships.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-15 20:49   
And scenario is right now the only place to earn badges other than supply/combat. How you gonna get gold transport in MV? Or gold engineer? Even gold bomber is tough; doable, but much tougher than it is in GA.

So scenarios are indeed needed right now.

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 20:51   
heh i dont think any race real or fantasy would design a big flying box to fly throught space.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-15 21:48   
Why not, smith?

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 22:06   
areo dynamics have to come into place somewhere......

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-15 22:11   
Aerodynamics requires air. Don't need to worry about that in space. A square would be fine, but a sphere would be even better.

Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 22:17   
would be aerodynamics, but there are still some forces in space that require a little consideration, space may be a vacuum, but like all vacuums, there's a lot of dust (pun intended). so a flat surface would end up getting hit full force by micro particles and other small space objects, a more idea "surface" would be a slanted surface to deflect oncoming debris. plus there are structural considerations, rectangular objects are actually one of the weaker geometrical configurations. etc. etc. anyhow lets not bring too much physical reality into it, after all.. my missile dreadnaught is larger than some planets ^_^

Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-15 23:21   
rof l oh my side hurts but realy think about it how many particle cannons could u mount on the side of a barttle dread as opposed to the front or on turrets oh lets say like 500% more or so thats a big difference in firepower.

Beware the strike of the VIPER

[ This Message was edited by: Astral Viper (Save the Gaifens) on 2004-03-15 23:29 ]

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

From the ashes of Earth we rise like a pheonix spreading our wings

Email Astral Viper
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-16 00:09   
Quote:

On 2004-03-15 22:11, MrSparkle wrote:
Aerodynamics requires air. Don't need to worry about that in space. A square would be fine, but a sphere would be even better.

Like Southpark said, vacuum is relative. If you are able to "Warp" or some of that other Sci-Fi stuff, then Square is cool.

However, if you are trapped in the relativistic world of modern technology, I would like to point out a few things:

The Faster you go, the more area you traverse in a set period of time. If there is only 5 Atoms of Hydrogen in every Cubic Meter of Space, that is fine for normal, Square shaped craft travelling a mere 50,000 mps. But once you start getting close to the speed of light, say around 0.80% the speed of light, you are covering a lot of Cubic meters of space per second.

What was vacuum at slow speeds, takes on the apparent density of Earth Atmosphere at super-fast speeds, and once again aerodynamics become a factor and so the needle pointed Rocket ship becomes all important.

Bend, Fold or puncture space and you can build Cube shaped ships. Til then, make them sleek.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030139 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR