Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planet locking - Base it off Construction AND rank
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Planet locking - Base it off Construction AND rank
Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 03:45   
I just think it is awful that someone with virtually no building experence, and who doesn't know how to build, is able to lock a planet just because of their rank.

So I think it should be based off of both your construction points AND rank. And someone with a lower rank and more construction points would be able to build on it or unlock.

Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-03-17 04:57   
well more constuction points shouldn't outway rank but i see your point for wanting it so

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-17 05:15   
Good idea. Now with remote building gone, my Construction points are skyrocketing. So being a good Engi no longer means having exactly 1001 construction points.

Patriarch
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 07:13   
Quote:

On 2004-03-17 03:45, Trinny wrote:
I just think it is awful that someone with virtually no building experence, and who doesn't know how to build, is able to lock a planet just because of their rank.

So I think it should be based off of both your construction points AND rank. And someone with a lower rank and more construction points would be able to build on it or unlock.

Nice Idea and in the next steps we can make that someone with more combat points can lock an enemie so that only he can attack it!
Or if you supply someone and someone with more supply points supp the damaged ship too, you will be unable too supply the ship!
Or if you cap a planet and someone with more capping Pres unloads Inf too, they will kill your inf and he gets all capping pres!
Shall i go on?
Or do you understand what i mean?

Goto the website of Patriarch
Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 07:37   
Not really. Right now planets CAN be locked, not everything esle.

What you say makes no sense really.

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-17 09:19   
basically patriarch said your idea wasnt all that great/workable by saying if contruction could be locked based on # of build points, theres all these other activities that can also be locked on basis of points (combat, supply, capping), which would totaly suck. the overall argument is:
tasks locked based on points (in addtion to rank) isnt good
your idea has a task locked based on points
therefore, your idea isnt good

although i do sorta agree with trinny, there are midshipmen that know how to build and build right, and some people with rank over mid that like to lock planets, but cant build worth beans

Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 09:36   
But right now you CAN lock planets from all lower ranks, and thats why I was confused about what Patriarch said.

/edit, fixed typo

[ This Message was edited by: Trinny on 2004-03-17 09:38 ]

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 11:14   

But gold engineer is no sign of a competent planet builder either, filling planers with mines, barracks, hydro farms of doms will can get you that, but wont create a planet that serves your factions needs in the MV, and is robust to attack/invasion.

for example, yeterday in Sol I found :-

Neptune supporting a ship yard, with high research, a factory, a depot one barracks. No Dictor, No sensor base, no Starport, No mining and minimal Lvl2 defense.
Pluto, the only source of Uradium in Sol, with no mining, no starport, and astronomical defense.
Venus, where the people where so unhappy from lack of power, the only barracks was none functional and they rebelled in front of my eyes.

so a few quick guide lines for Stategic building for the MV.

Shipyards should be habitable planets near the center of a cluster. The natural population boost minimised the need for domes and food production so not depleting defense. Where possible should be at the center of cluster for the additional defense. On the whole it should not have additional services such as Depots & Factories. (These should be on nearby planets and moons) unless absolutely neccessary; usually only because they are foothold/bridgehead planets. They should have more than one barracks, but SHOULD NOT be used as a source of troops. It should only have mines if it has essential resources.

Planets that have only source of special resources should have mines and a starport to get the economy going, and also be well defended with barracks and where possible optimal defenses.

Gateway planets, those near or defending gates, or on the edge of a cluster should have strong defenses, you may have to temper defense for special resources. However high defense also allows high-level mining which has a minimal impact on defense.

In most cases everyplanet should have a starport to import important resources.

In most cases every planet should have more than one barracks, 2/3 seems to be optimal number, for everything other than rax planets.

Every planet should have a dictor and at least one sensor base, more if its a lone planet. Place the barracks, power and defense is small cluster

Every system should have at least one Barracks planet dedicated to producing troops. Large systems can usually have one in each cluster. This should have 6-8 barracks and not the 16-18 Ive seen on some. It should have the best defense possible, if it falls to a bomber, the enemy has a good planet to invade the rest of the system. Where possible this should be metal only planet so its defense in not compromised by mining requirements. Ideally it should have a close partner planet/moon, to contribute to its defense.

Support Planets, for Depots and Factories, ideally there should be one of these near shipyard planet. Idealy these should have partner moon or planet to take the main burden of defense.

In most cases you will need to compromise several of these ideals.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-17 21:48   
Quote:
Nice Idea and in the next steps we can make that someone with more combat points can lock an enemie so that only he can attack it!
Or if you supply someone and someone with more supply points supp the damaged ship too, you will be unable too supply the ship!
Or if you cap a planet and someone with more capping Pres unloads Inf too, they will kill your inf and he gets all capping pres!
Shall i go on?
Or do you understand what i mean?

Yes, please do go on. Someone who is inept at combat should NOT be at the front of a battle. Someone who doesn't know the tricks to dropping inf should NOT be a transport. Someone who can't keep track of repair calls & doesn't bother to check the status of the fleet in their system should NOT be flying a supply ship. Like all of these, someone who doesn't know how to intelligently build a planet to be both functional and useful should NOT be building planets - and as some intelligence dumps have proven, they like to do it anyway. Building stupid planets is fine if you want rank - but belongs in the scenario servers (I know this, I can't build a planet for crap, thats why I do it in GA - then when I get my gold engy badge I don't intend to ever touch another engy).

Please, do go on - I would be MOST interested to hear your theories on bombers!

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
NiNjAsNiPeU
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 22:57   
NCX thats really stupid because that basically says that..
a) there will be no new players and
b)if you dont allready have the badge, your not going to get it.

And then ds is screwed.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-17 23:18   
I'm just wondering who the frig is trying to get their engy badges in the MV? That is what I'm thinking about. The whole reason for the scenario servers existing at this point with shipyards & all is for quick and dirty combat (frigate style) and to get points in engy, transport, and maybe navigation.

New players should be told (if they haven't already) to work on their skills in the (are you ready for this?) Newbie server (novel idea, ehh?)

Quote:
if you dont allready have the badge, your not going to get it.

I may be reletively new here, but I'm pretty sure that newbies can be taught to earn their badges the same way that I did - through patience, and intelligence. Anyone can do supply and earn their badges, but if they're not good at it they shouldn't advertise themselves for combat supply.

But, again - this all centers around one issue - newbies building planets in the MV, where there are longterm impacts to their building decisions. Solution - build in scenarios, leave the MV to the seasoned vets - and the newbies can learn from the vets by observing the built planets and by asking questions.

Leme ask you a question though, in your home system - who built the planets that are still built & everything, newbies or vets? Who would you rather have build your home system?

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
DeathSniper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-18 00:20   
I would rather have myself build it

Patriarch
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-18 07:19   
Bombing hmmm, what can we change????
Perhaps if someone With 50 000 Pres and 14 000 bomber pres lock a planet so that only he or higher can bomb it.
And perhaps there is another person in game, like someone at the top of the ranking,
with over 200 000 pres but only 13 000 bomber pres and he try to bomb the Planet, but his own point def destroy his own bombs before the reach the Planet or the Planetary defense.
And then he will deactivate the PD and the bombs leave the slot but stay at the same Place, and after he have left all bombs the make a selfdestruct and there is a message at the screen: XXXX was been killed by his own bombs!
In this moment i want to see his face

Goto the website of Patriarch
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-18 10:16   
Planets should automatically unlock after a set amount of time. You know how many planets in MV I find locked? And for what reason? Honestly, the only reason I can think of is that they forgot to unlock it.

Having your planets perpetually locked is nothing but a hindrance to your team. And while that may not apply in GA where there's a lot of noobs messing stuff up, in the MV the whole faction needs access to those planets and factories. And sometimes, reengineering is in order (like during an system invasion when you may need more barracks or something)

So, consider having locked planets automatically unlock after a while. Say, 10 or 15 minutes? That's enough time.

[ This Message was edited by: Holycannoli on 2004-03-18 11:21 ]

Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-18 10:38   
Quote:

On 2004-03-18 10:16, Holycannoli wrote:
Planets should automatically unlock after a set amount of time. You know how many planets in MV I find locked? And for what reason? Honestly, the only reason I can think of is that they forgot to unlock it.

Having your planets perpetually locked is nothing but a hindrance to your team. And while that may not apply in GA where there's a lot of noobs messing stuff up, in the MV the whole faction needs access to those planets and factories. And sometimes, reengineering is in order.

So, consider having locked planets automatically unlock after a while. Say, 10 or 15 minutes? That's enough time.

And also, there is planets being locked for many hours and days and being bombed to half of what it was by the enemy and no one being able to build it back up.
If anything is destroyed on a planet it needs to unlock automatically aswell.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027472 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR