No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Turn delay lag
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Turn delay lag
-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 11:46   
Im not sure what the reason behind it is, or whats causing it but this one point is beginning to be the number #1 complaint I have for this new version.

Dont get me wrong, I truely like 95% of the changes (other than being semi-nerfed, but I knew it was coming)

I prefer the speed and manuevarability of a destroyer .... Drainer mainly. It cant handle allot of damage now with the armor tweaks, but I just like to pilot it. The advantage of having a speedy ship is that I can dodge incoming fire, torps and fighter flack. The new version has a tendency to "Hang" for a few seconds, here you can do squat but sit back and enjoy the view.

And now Im getting delayed Ejumps ... you hit the button and .... "Noda" your SOL with no system damage.

this has also been a reason why some of my planet collisins have been rising. Ill orbit a planet and decide to move to the other side to get out of the line of fire and controls will lock and boom .... I try and land on the planet.

3-5 seconds of zero ship control can mean a sweet kill, a tactical retreat .. or becoming Gaifen food.

Goto the website of -=Arch=-
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-03-17 13:39   
Arch,

Basically, hidden in this latest version was a dramatic change in the way data was sent between the servers and the clients...

In the previous version, when you turned your ship, your client applied the changed locally and sent the verb (packet) onto the server as well, which was subject to the same lag your now actually seeing...

Now, when you turn your ship, the command is sent to the server first, then the server sends it back to the client. This solves 2 things, firstly it fixed the syncronization issues... secondly now you can actually see the lag between your client and the server, instead of it being hidden and you being oblivious to any connection problems.

Use the A/S/D keys to steer or switch to the other turning system (Alt-Y while in the tactical screen)...

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2004-03-17 13:40 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-17 21:40   
I do use the ASD keys to pilot - have this problem alot. Most annoying while least deadly is when the controls lock up just after exiting a wormhole (happens about 1 in 5 WH jumps) and I re-enter because I'm locked in a hard starboard turn.

Think I rather liked the old way - better to not notice lag than have it slam you in the face

[Edit] Oh, and I really don't like the no-yaw flying... just doesn't work for me. I crash more with that then I do from lag.[/Edit]

[ This Message was edited by: NCX *Frickin Buns* Charger on 2004-03-17 21:55 ]

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-03-17 21:45   
This is true, ill go along one path for a few moments, trying to turn to fire Forward Weapons on my AD, but even with my A,S,D controls, it STILL locks for like at least 7 seconds max before it starts turning again

Email UnknownWarrior
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-17 23:16   
I find that although on your screen you slide all over the place, the path you actually take is perfectly consistent with the keys you press.

Since what you see in 1.481 is currently so freaked out, I find that I pilot beter if I don't pay specific attention to my ship, since its misleading.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-17 23:19   
Good advice, but I'm far too visual a person to rely on piloting instincts by control presses alone. Maybe with a stick & rudder, but I can't afford those

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-18 02:09   
But..

If its like F described, then Why does the ship crash?

Take this situation for example. you approach a planet at 10 gu/s and hold A.

The turn indicator goes to a full left turn. The Ship doesnt react.

This Ship hits the planet surface and instantly blows up.

While travelling to the planet you unload inf/ fire weapons and the effect is not lagged. Your internet connection is stable.

Explanation?

(EDIT: Of oucrse it is like F said, i wanted to express that there is probably more to it)

Taking it to the extreme

[ This Message was edited by: sono on 2004-03-18 02:22 ]

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-18 02:23   
Wish the old code was still in use.... this "lag" is very annoying, especially in the MV, in GA or Newbserv it isnt so bad.

We're legions, we're under your bed, under your couch, we're smiling at you while you sleep, we're everywhere, we're Evil...

[ This Message was edited by: Diabo|ik on 2004-03-18 02:23 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-18 02:29   
Quote:

On 2004-03-17 21:45, Iroquois wrote:
This is true, ill go along one path for a few moments, trying to turn to fire Forward Weapons on my AD, but even with my A,S,D controls, it STILL locks for like at least 7 seconds max before it starts turning again

And this is another problem that expecially hits capital ships..
Allow me to claim that im a pretty good assault class dread pilot, and ive found it VERY irritating not to be able to use my front arc weapons when it was the whole point of my manoever..

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-18 07:10   
Quote:

On 2004-03-17 13:39, Faustus wrote:
Use the A/S/D keys to steer or switch to the other turning system (Alt-Y while in the tactical screen)...

That doesnt fix anything...

Goto the website of Barthezzz
-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-18 08:40   
Im sorry Faustus, but I dont buy that.

If your saying its just the lag we DIDNT see before then why do we die when hitting a planet, or when torps slam into you.

This is a 'ship' control lockup not assosiated with lag or whatever you want to call it.

Ill be locked and take dammage all at the same time. Maybe Lag isnt the correct word for it.

I believe we are talking about 2 different issues my friend.

If your saying the 1.480 had the same thing we just couldnt see it, I beg to differe, because I could steer out of planet collisions, torps, missles and whatever was on my butt. This version you cant do anything for 3-5 seconds.

I just ask you to look into it alittle further and please dont dismiss it. Something is different and is causing alot of frustration

Freshmeat {-=Planet Collider=-}
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-18 09:18   
I also experience this "zero-control" lag where everythingelse is happening but none of my commands are received (including msgs). It ranges anywhere from 3~10 seconds for my case...periodically. My planet crashes has rised dramatically because of it. This used to happend to all the new servers but 2 days ago there was an update and somehow the lag problem improved dramtically (and most of the time disappeared all together) in the MV.....but i still get it in GA and the newbie server (esp the newbie server).

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 10:55   
Quote:

On 2004-03-18 02:09, sono wrote:
But..

If its like F described, then Why does the ship crash?

Take this situation for example. you approach a planet at 10 gu/s and hold A.

The turn indicator goes to a full left turn. The Ship doesnt react.

This Ship hits the planet surface and instantly blows up.

While travelling to the planet you unload inf/ fire weapons and the effect is not lagged. Your internet connection is stable.

Explanation?

(EDIT: Of oucrse it is like F said, i wanted to express that there is probably more to it)

Because the command has to go TO the server before it actually functions. If that is where there is a connection issue, then you will not be able to turn your ship, and you will merrily fly into the planet. You see this happen, because the client side is drawing things based on vector and location that has been sent to it from the servers. That's why if you get a serious disco, you see ships circling, sitting still, or traveling in a straight line forever. The client side is still rendering things based off of location and vector it last recieved from the servers.

So, the command isn't getting to the server, and then when you crash, the server pushes down a "you crashed" thing.

Email Gideon
-=Arch=-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 11:04   
thanks for the reply ..... sure sounds like you guys have another bug to squash to me.

Ive been seeing more and more phantom ships going round and round in circles lately also.

I will be very happy with this version if you could fix this issue !!

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 12:25   
This turning lag has killed me multiple times and im getting sick of it... lost 3 bombers cause i couldnt turn out

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026849 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR