No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +5.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Shipyard Abusers while Planet is underattack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Shipyard Abusers while Planet is underattack
0mni
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 11:11   
timers seem to be like a good solution, not sure how id feel waiting to fight though, although in the metaverse i spend alot of time modding my ships. i can be a very patient person at times comes with the territory where i live. but as a quick solution i believe shipyards can produce ships underblockade but cannot recieve ship for dockage.

good ideas from most of u, mostly.

Pk

Goto the website of 0mni
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 14:51   
what if when a planet was under blockcade you can spawn at the planet but only ships u have in your garage. no new ships. if u want a new ship and u exhaust your garage u gotta goto another planet with a SY or if theres is none to a close system to get a new ship.

Stratus
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 17:37   
Wouldn't mind ships taking a little time to dock.. Say 30 seconds or something near that... A whole minute would be too long.. That'd be like a ship taking an hour to dock..

30 to 45 secs could to a badly damaged ship in... So if the pilot decided to dock instead of e-jumping, they would be gone.

Plus a ship taking time to dock would add a little realism to docking.

If the Shipyard were an actual object floating around the planet you could make an animation or have the ship flying to the shipyard during the docking time.

Also with the time and animation you could add a way to cancel docking.

Email Stratus
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 17:45   
Smith, Stratus and Axianda all have great idea(althrou I like Stratus's idea better exept if the SY becomes an orbital platform and if the planets are bigger. And GTN did that SY trick alot(I prefer e-Jumping/Jumping instead of using the SY.

stuck in Univercity limbo

0mni
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 20:06   
could u give me specific examples of who useing it in gtn id like to know for personal reasons.

oh and just since a few ppl have been saying its gtn doing this and no one else one example of ICC doing this trick is when u were trying to take out epsilon eri. you were camped out at Raf, your only sy and with 2 planets left, we were trying to stop u but every time a ship was about to be destoyred, weither it be missle dread or missle cruiser or any ship for that fact, they would use the shipyard and spawn a brand new ship and continue fighting, wow i never knew a ship could repair that fast in a sy, to name someoneTAXI {UTALKIN2ME?} would be the biggest abusier that night. the planet had unlimited resorces and basically no matter wut we did, with 8 missle dreads just sitting thier camping out abuseing the shipyard we couldn't take em out, they had a dictor so couldn't jump in behind them. we had a station and 5 dreads and 3 supply ships we couldnt even get close to them. i gave up in the end, wuz late and wasnt getting any prestige sitting thier takeing dmg.

Pk

Ps-Excuse the grammer issues, spelling etc etc had to type in a rush.

Goto the website of 0mni
Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-21 15:42   
whoa, my post got taken way out of context. the point was that sometimes people post that "people shouldn't do this" yes they continue to use it in game stating "if it wasn't meant to be used, it shouldn't be in game" well knowing that darkspace is a relatively slowly updated game, some exploits still exist that people are fully aware of. the first step to reducing their effect on gameplay is a self-imposed ban on using them =/

i don't like extractor-transports, hence, i don't use them for that purpose, ever. i may be tempted at times, but i avoid it, because its an "exploit" because it wasn't meant to be abused as an 3xecm tranny.

As for the SY issue, it needs to be tweaked, but it isn't as large a problem as it seems. Most people use the SY to save their expensively and time-consumingly modded ships. The issue being that people are being frustrated by instant-respawn fresh ships.

*my* interpretation of how the SY is affecting planetary capture/combat.

In order to cleanse a planetary space of enemy ships, you should have a significant combat force to blockade a planet.

I do remember that Raf incident you mentioned. In that case you had 4-6 ships, only maybe 2 dreadnaughts and no stations. Think of a SY as a very large complex, capable of housing/constructing entire fleets (since thats what it does in this game). In an emergency (imminent planetary capture) wouldn't you think that every ship stored in the SY would come out shooting? (instant respawn).

as it is, currently people will take a "resources lost" hit if they delete a damaged ship in their SY i believe(faustus says he fixed it, since it was broken since 1.481 released). This will preevnt some people from doing the repeated instant-respawn, unless they have more prestige than you can shake a stick at maybe.

ICC has taken a few heavily contested planets through sheer force of firepower. This being a possiblity because yes, ICC currently has more players than the other factions, this needs to be balanced yes.

the overall problem is the SY's main "abuse" as noted in this discussion. is primarily related to the number of players you have available to you.

As for me, i have a full garage of modded ships, if one of them gets damage, i'll pull another one out, until i run out of modded ships in that SY. then i'll go somewhere else usually =/

the fun part: "fixing" the abuse.

the factions need to be more evenly distributed in terms of people on each side. how to do this? not sure, since its a players choice what faction they go to.

shipyard respawn:

this needs to be tweaked, but given an even number of players in a "perfect" world. capping a planet wouldn't turn into a static defenders sitting outside planet while attackers slowly march towards it. There are ways to push people off planet sitting.

The only change i think the SY could really use is a slight delay on respawn. and maybe a queued respawn, so only 1 person can spawn every 30 seconds. turning something completely off/on is an extreme fix for things, you're going to punish the people who have a legitimate use for the SY (like switching out their ship for something that is more necessary at the time, eg. destroyer for supply etc. etc.)

*bombing*

this may seem random, but bombing w/ mirvs has almost become totally pointless, you can't precision bomb anymore with D3 bases shooting *through* planets to take out mirvs and such. The only bombing we've found that works is just throwing multiple PCMS and other things at a planet and hoping 1 pcm gets through and knocks out the defenses.

The reason i included bombing: If precision bombing still existed =/ its more than possible to just send in a destroyer to incapacitate(blow-the-heck-up) the shipyard, thus rendering the instant-respawn moot. and in a "real" world, this would happen, you strike to remove their line of supply(shipyard).

i apologize for the long post, but i do feel the "abuse" factor of the shipyard exists, but it is what i consider borderline, it can be rationally explained to support the game mechanic that it does, but may need to be tweaked some to prevent "abuse". turning it off would just be rather lame, since sitting 1000gu from a planet shouldn't prevent the planet from using its shipyard.

Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-21 16:05   
I did not say all of GTN do that(or only GTN does that btw) I did saw people in GTN do that.

stuck in Univercity limbo

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.019313 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR