No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Everything customizable!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Everything customizable!
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 17:44   
There are allot of arguments out there that ships and their weapons should be more modifiable, hence while I was just sitting around thinking up solutions:

Removing the EMP cannon from a fighter base in favor of 1.5x faster fighter spawning speeds.
Or with a Defense base, say you had many defense bases but you don't need all of the defensive lasers once you reach a certain amount they jus become repetitious not advantageous. Considering the fact that all of the extra lasers go to waste. You could swap a defensive laser for two EMP cannons, or another IT missile launcher,

You could also trade weapon power for reload time
(Although to raise the weapons power say one level it would raise reload time one point five levels to make it not SO grand).
Also you can trade weapon power for weapon speed
(This includes missiles were engine size and fuel is traded for an additional warhead) and additional speed means additional accuracy.

You could also balance your ships top speed, acceleration, energy output and maneuvering capabilities. This would add an ENTIRELY unique aspect to the game since nearly no ship would be alike and would be adjusted to the owner’s preference. I don’t know about you but if I was on a mission were I wanted to get in and out. Say I was bombing or scouting, I would trade maneuverability and energy for better top speed, acceleration AND reload time. You could even increase Jump Drive recharge time by channeling say 30% energy output of your engines into the recharge rate.

After all we have all seen movies were energy is directed from shields for weapons or from life support to shields whatever.

Feel free to play and tinker with this idea.

P.S. You could also save your personal preferences in a personal preferences list with labels, when using a dread activate your favorite dread makeup for defending or attacking its your choice.

-Beyond

The past is now because the now is past...

-Beyond

[ This Message was edited by: Beyond(Unbound) on 2004-03-19 19:13 ]

Email Ascension(Purge)
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 17:48   
ummmm let me think...

B
A
D

I
D
E
A

They are trying to balance the game not help people create ubber ships(althrou modding DefBases would be nice:)

stuck in Univercity limbo

Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:01   
Quote:

They are trying to balance the game not help people create ubber ships

(althrou modding DefBases would be nice:)

No ships would be ubber. You can’t just select to raise your ship’s performance. If you raise your acceleration your torp speed and energy planet will both suffer. If you raise your top speed your acceleration will suffer. Its all checks and balances but some people feel the extra top speed will be useless if their up and coming battle so they would rather be able to accelerate faster.

Maybe someone plans to surprise an engineer so they have energy rerouted from propelling their torpedoes to making the torpedoes more powerful. Now if the engineer moves the torpedoes being so slow could never hope to hit unless they were 10 gu's away. If you think u can shoot slow torpedoes and detonate them to overcome the bad aim, you are stupid. If you added to much power to the damage factor the torpedoes would barely move and you would end up flying into your own slow torpedoes.

I thought this system up and If you would just THINK you would realize the entire thing can only be flawed by someone who doesn’t balance it and it is easily balanced because it would not work like slow and deadly, or fast and weak. It would work like 50% speed 50% damage 40% speed 60% damage. It is up to you to balance your power and your accuracy.

My faction is humanity...Humanity is my vessel...

-Beyond

The past is now because the now is past...

-Beyond

[small][ This Message was edited by: Beyond(Unbound) on 2004-03-19 19:21 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Beyond(Unbound) on 2004-03-19 19:31 ]

Email Ascension(Purge)
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:18   
I just thought to add that it would be a better Idea to be able to modify your ship whyle it is in the SY as apposed to leaving a plnet just to have your new stuff sent up. After all a shipyard creates ship why couldnt you also buy some better weapons off it BEFORE your launch your new ship...or buy the modifications BEFORE it is made.

Also Shipyard should have a timer proportionate to your ship class...
The higher the class the longer the build time.

-Beyond

[ This Message was edited by: Beyond(Unbound) on 2004-03-19 19:25 ]

Email Ascension(Purge)
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:28   
8 letters

B
A
D

I
D
E
A
S

they are trying to balance not make uber

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:31   
currently there is a max limit of devices per ship, so the trade out idea wont work.

as for customize anything, as we learned when it first went in, bad idea... Suddenly you were getting jumped by fleets of EAD's with interdictors and Kluth were running around with PCM gunboats that cloaked and could fire 7 pcm's

I actually worked up a slot based system that would be self balancing, but currently the game cant support that concept...

Email Tael
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:39   

[ This Message was edited by: Beyond(Unbound) on 2004-03-19 19:26 ]

Email Ascension(Purge)
'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:48   
Wait did you say you could swap power for reload time?
Isn't that what happens already....

Hello Joe! ;)

-Baron Von Virtu
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:54   
Why does it seem like Beyond's posts use double space between lines?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\r\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n
Site Director - The Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-03-19 18:55   
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:39, Beyond(Unbound) wrote:
Scuse' me? Did I say that you could mount any weapon? No, I dont recall saying that...what I said was that you could alter ur ship performance and that you could trade mounts...IE Trade 360 degree Weapon-I mount for 4 side mounted 90 degree weapon-I mounts.

You stated:
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:18, Beyond(Unbound) wrote:
Another idea to add on...Trading mounts at a SY like taking that 360 degree mount and trading it for four 90 degree side mounts. (since side mounts are apparently unpopular among the many unskilled of DS four isnt too much to ask for) Also you could trade one 360 degree mount for two 180 degree front mounts (Dual Mounts), Or one 180 degree front mount and two more 90 degree rear mounts.

I stated
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:31, Tael wrote:
currently there is a max limit of devices per ship, so the trade out idea wont work.

I also stated:
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:31, Tael wrote:
I actually worked up a slot based system that would be self balancing, but currently the game cant support that concept...

so a system that aligns x number of spaces per hull size aligned in different configurations depending on hull design with each slot taking up a varied ammount of space was worked out, it would be totally self balancing.
But as I stated, the game can not support a system like that at this time and would require a major redesign of several aspects, thus taking a long time to complete if we moved forward on it, instead it was determined it more important to focus on other aspects of the games design.

In closing you wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:39, Beyond(Unbound) wrote:
You foos R. E. A. D.

I shall defere until you follow your own advice.

[ This Message was edited by: Tael on 2004-03-19 18:59 ]

Email Tael
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-19 19:29   
Quote:

On 2004-03-19 18:48, '1aTyrael wrote:
Wait did you say you could swap power for reload time?
Isn't that what happens already....

Not on the VERY small scale I'm speaking of.
Plus there currently is NO system to reduce accuracy for the sake of power.
Also there is NO system to unbalance your ships performance in favor of your personal preference and requirement.

Email Ascension(Purge)
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-20 00:10   
How about this: Use something like the energy distribution net from the Wing Commander games.

Using ICC for example: You have a 3 pronged energy distribution net - as it stands the energy is distributed evenly among Shields, Weapons, and Engines - but you can choose to take energy from your weapon and shield recharge to boost your engine speed - or just take from your shields and put into weapons, leaving engines alone.

The more energy you put into something, the faster it a) regenerates b) is effective (more range & duration for weapons fire at the cost of speed and shields). To offset the possibility of having uber weapons there should be a burnout capacitor, meaning that if you are putting too much energy into your engines - after a certain amount of time that more energy is being put into the engines than they are designed to handle, they become damaged and go offline (99% damage instantly).

I'd love to be able to pour extra energy into my jump drive & engines to catch that running destroyer or something at the sacrafice of shields...

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
*Defiant*
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-20 01:35   
i like ur idea charger

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-20 01:38   
Thanks, I stole it myself

I don't know how feasable it is with the current system... Faust?

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-03-20 15:17   
We've talked about that once before, ala Xwing and Wing Commander style, but F didnt want so much micromanagement...

Maybe we can work him on it again..

Email Tael
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.041368 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR