No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Automated Offensive Turrets (LONG!)
 Author Automated Offensive Turrets (LONG!)
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-27 19:53   
We all know and love our automated defensive lasers (if their pulse) and I'm sure we all have thought at one time or another "...if only we could of been using our left and right mounted weapons at the same time, instead of leaving that huge potential damage gap." Then there is the old "If only someone else would defend my ship while I was in navigation etc. etc."

Well I have a solution for these things but before I say what it is I'd just like to mention that in the upcoming updates Stations Dreads and to a lesser extent smaller ships are to have more weapons added. If you have been listening to the posts a new ship will also be coming out that has mostly side mounted weapons the "Battleship" and most skilled pilots (myself included) will have a Gay 'ol time woopin' @$$ and takin' names.

But I propose this wonderful idea to the benefit of all.

"Automated OFFENSIVE Weapons"

These weapons could come standard Automated Offensive or not, if not. Just as you set your CL300s and Pulse Lasers to Auto Point Defense.
You could set your EMP cannons and Gauss Guns to Auto Target Offense.

Your gunners (or computer) would not fire as long as 50% of the shots would hit a friendly target. But if they wouldn’t, as you are space baring away, at that pesky lil’ Dessie. An AC broadsides you with Fusion Fury and CL550s, you thank God that Auto Target Offense is active, as it returns fire.

I don't know about you but watching someone's Battleship Class ship fire both directions at once would be damned sexy.

But this also doesn't seem fair since a person could easily set all of their weapons to this so here is my idea to limit ATO rape.

1) Limit the total amount of possible assigned ATO by ship class.

2) Make ATO slightly inaccurate to discourage use.

3) Make ATO slow to fire to discourage use.

4) Limit ATO usage to being used only while you are in planet monitoring or navigation screens.

5) (My Favorite) Have ATO come on automatically in the weapons that cannot fire at your currently selected target.

Since I feel #5 is the most plausible allow me to elaborate:

Enemy B.............................( )..................................................................... You A....................................................< >................................................. 100 GUs........................................................................................................ Enemy C..........................................( )........................................................

Your all moving at the same rate to the left, enemy B and C open fire upon you, you have not selected a target yet so your Auto Target Offensive weapons fire all of your weapons on after the other in a naval barrage type of fire. This is effect causes a sort of continuous flow of fire at your enemy, Your select enemy B to use your heavy weapons on it (Since you did not select these for ATO, so you wouldn't lose all the energy of firing your torpedoes. Also because you are flying full speed, they would have missed anyway.) Because your have selected to analyze this target and decide when to fire upon it yourself, your ATO weapons stop firing to wait for your command. But all of your weapons facing enemy C because you have yet to decide what to do to enemy C.

So that's basically it, except just as a note: Your ATO weapons probably should be limited only to certain ranges with the beams, certain classes with the projectiles, and no missiles.

Why:
A) ATO Beams should be limited to 50% percent their effective range so they are not wasted but will still fire when they can cause significant damage.

B) Weapon class II’s should not be allowed for ATO because you don’t want your torpedoes to be fired unless YOU are ABSOLUTELY sure, they will not hurt one of your allies, with their EXTREMELY overdone FF radius, and they are so slow, YOU want to be ABSOLUTELY sure, they will hit, because of their EXTREMELY overdone, energy consumption.

C) Missiles take a LONG time to reload so they probably should be saved until your enemy begins to flee or you desperately need to use them with their EXTREMELY low ammo supply in mind.

An added note: It probably would be best to not allow the use of ATO weapons unless:

A) You mark them as ATO just as your mark Auto Point Defense.

or

B) Your are fired upon first.

or

C) There is NO chance they will hit and ally.

or

D) There is only 50% chance they COULD hit an ally.

or

E) Maybe they should not be used at all until you start firing on the enemy yourself.

So far this idea is very flexible and I would EXTREMELY appreciate all of your inputs.

Faustus this ones for you!

Email Ascension(Purge)
Ascension(Purge)
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-27 20:06   
Just a sidenote: If you think the IDEA itself is stupid I feel that having six men wait to be told to save their own lives stupid when they would be defending the ship the entire time.

"You six men keep firing here!...the rest of you take a coffee break, while I defend our vulnerable side..." LOL!

I prefer

"I'll micromanage the vulnerable sides weapony, you six men fire at will!"

In real life that is what would happen.

Also I have added that you do not recieve prestige for damaging or destroying a ship with your ATO.

Call me Purge for that is what I do...

[ This Message was edited by: Ascension(Purge) on 2004-03-27 20:07 ]

Email Ascension(Purge)
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-03-27 23:44   
A little better, with my idea of visible turrets, i say that only visible turrets like the big ones in FS2 should be AI controlled, and like our manual weapons, would include a limit to how many a ship would have, and of course have their own firing arcs. But the funny thing is, they shoot at any enemy ship in range while you pound down on one enemy ship at a time, your AI Turrets pound away at fighters/missiles/troops/and other enemy capital ships.

But of course, the turrets would only add like a slight amount of prestige, for like every 4% damage to an enemy, would be like .1 pres and so fourth. This makes it a lot easier.

In ICC terms for this kind of defense turrets, put down like Pulse Beams and Rail Guns. But with the ship, you CANNOT change what the AI Turrets fire, they are stuck with that one thing because its in the ship coding.

But this is just my idea for the Automated AI Controlled Ship Turrets, unless this idea is another dead sinker like my idea for the visible moving turrets

Email UnknownWarrior
Page created in 0.011216 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR