No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Electronic Warfare newbie questions
 Author Electronic Warfare newbie questions
Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-01 11:46   
ECM lowers signatures. Does the affect both friendly and enemy ships, or just friendly. What range does it work out to? Is it more powerful the closer you get in to the source, or is it a constant level throughout the range.

I assume ECCM is exactly the same, but in reverse. Is this a correct assumption?

What role does the scanner play? Is it a longer range ECCM? I know it raises the user's sig, and the enemy's sig... does it affect other friendly ships and missile's sigs as well? What kind of range does it have?

Beacons raise the target you hit with them's sig by 20, if I recall. How long do they last?

For recon people... can all friendlies see everything you can see, or only what is in their own detection range? On nav map? Third person standard veiw? Both? Another way to phrase is, If I have closed in at an enemy system, have a negative sig so they cannot radar me... and I see 3 enemy cruisers that were not in detection range from the friendly planet... can all the friendlies at the planet see the enemies I have uncovered?

I have played at scouting in the Metaverse, and at combat in the newbie server... I think I like the scouting better. I am trying to determine doing what is beneficial to my faction, and what is only for my jollies.

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-01 12:05   
Quote:

On 2004-04-01 11:46, moghedan wrote:
ECM lowers signatures. Does the affect both friendly and enemy ships, or just friendly. What range does it work out to? Is it more powerful the closer you get in to the source, or is it a constant level throughout the range.

ECM Effects everyone at a 500gu radius from it. The effect is constant for that 500gu. It lowers sigs, I believe about -3. (or -2) Its power is the same at 1gu away as it is at 499 away...same for ECCM and Scanners.

Quote:
I assume ECCM is exactly the same, but in reverse. Is this a correct assumption?

Yup...it has a 2,500 range and raises all signatures by +3 (or 2, can never remember)

Quote:
What role does the scanner play? Is it a longer range ECCM? I know it raises the user's sig, and the enemy's sig... does it affect other friendly ships and missile's sigs as well? What kind of range does it have?

Scanner makes things with a positive Signature easier to see. It makes tiny things visible from much further away (missles, mines, my motivation) However, it does not make things with a negative or no signature, visible. Also, it allows you to see buildings and structures on a planet from a much greater distance than the normal 500gu. I believe its range is either 1800gu or 2000gu. And yes, it makes the user of the Scanner much more visible to the enemy, but does not affect or add to the Friendlies' signature nearby you at all.

Quote:
For recon people... can all friendlies see everything you can see, or only what is in their own detection range? On nav map? Third person standard veiw? Both? Another way to phrase is, If I have closed in at an enemy system, have a negative sig so they cannot radar me... and I see 3 enemy cruisers that were not in detection range from the friendly planet... can all the friendlies at the planet see the enemies I have uncovered?

If you are in the same star system as a player who is scouting an enemy ship, than yes, it is visible on your Nav map as well. If I can see a mine, so can you.

Sending a scout to look at an enemy planet before a fleet is dispatched is a very good idea...unless you have 50 ships and hold your enemy's forces in contempt...

Knowing the size, disposition and position of an enemy force makes striking at them with a smaller force much more successful. If Three Torpedo Cruisers know the exact location of one Supply Ship in a fleet of ICC, those Torpedo Cruisers could jump in, destroy the enemy Supply ship and get out without damage...crippling the superior force.

And killing supplies is fun. (they used to complain more, now they take their licks with silent resolve...bummer)

I type with my tongue

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose Likes Ponies on 2004-04-01 12:13 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-01 12:19   
Quote:

On 2004-04-01 12:05, Juxtapose Likes Ponies wrote:
Scanner makes things with a positive Signature easier to see. It makes tiny things visible from much further away (missles, mines, my motivation) However, it does not make things with a negative or no signature(Cloaked K'luth, my self-esteem), visible.

Well said!

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-01 12:24   
um...thanks....I think...

Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-01 13:09   
Excellent. I think I just found a role I can enjoy.

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-01 14:26   
ECM and ECCM is +/- 3 sig (it could acutaly be 2.5 or so like reactors, whichs shows up as 3, but i doubt it)

planetary verstions run about +/- 6 sig or so

Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-01 15:20   
It's Exactly +/- 3 for ship based and exactly +/- 6 for planetary based ecm/eccm. a scanner adds 5 signature to yourself, but none to others, just makes them detectable to you from longer ranges (if they have positive sig)

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-04-01 19:23   
Moghedan it's a great role. If your teammates know what to do with it that is. And you yourself need to learn what it's capable of too.

I'll be the first to tell you (as I've made some enemies VERY angry with my ecm tactics) that ecm ships let you bomb and cap planets with ease, IF the ecm ship and the bomber both know what to do.

[ This Message was edited by: Holycannoli on 2004-04-01 22:58 ]

jefferson clay {F-WWOW}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-02 04:01   
About bombing and ECM, is using an ECM capable ship enough to cloak anything you may drop on the planets (bomb, troops whatever ) ? Or does it take a few more operations, like scouting the place, see how many sig raising structures have been built, report, mod your ship with enough ECM
and finally go back for the bombing run ?

I apologize if this is not really clear, I've found lot of help in every -DSA- thread, but couldn't find anything about efficient bombing.

Enjoy, this is only a game ...

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-02 05:03   
Most of the time it will be neccessary to have more than one ECM Ship.

Since sensor bases amount for 2 Ship-Mounted ECM/ECCM, this is easily calculated with a little Trick. Of course, just flying into Range and scouting is most of the time the easier and simpler Way of finding out. Watch out for other Planets that might come in Range when you actually get there, Tho.

When you Zoom in on a Planet in the Nav Map, the ECCM Rings of the Bases are easily visible.

Page created in 0.016131 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR