No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +5.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Couple Questions
 Author Couple Questions
Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-05 15:53   
Admittedly, I did not search very much, but I could not find the answers to these. I love the game, I really do. None of these are complaints, I am just curious.

First, what purpose does currency serve? Buying ships, as far as I can tell, costs nothing in currency, but it does in materials. Only things bought in the starport, mods and materials, seem to have any currency value. Does this not make currency an unneeded feature? The stated goal of 1.482 will make all pieces equally valuable in certain situations. WIll this, when combined with the materials requirement to produce ships or components not be enough limitation? Or am I missing a point in my thoughts, which is likely?

I assume currency is intended to make extrator type ships valued, but, even new as I am, figured out that meant finding a Urdanium planet, hitting O, then G. Target the spaceport, and you do not even have to look up from your book to press just press the U Key. I also quickly thought of another way. It makes cash VERY fast, and drains a planet of its reasources VERY fast. I did not try it, because I assumed it to be an exploit, but it did make me consider that currency was perhaps a remnant no longer needed. If Currency carries over between servers, I cannot even find a downside to this exploit.

Another question, what would be the chances of being able to "build" a modded ship in the ship select screen, and then save the ship mod to a quickslot. I would assume it would be "home" tech only, other faction tech, like an ICC ship with a disruptor, would have to be the old system. In this way, a player in a shipyard screen could select either one of the default Heavy Cruiser as they are now, or a quickslot Heavy Cruiser that has the CL550s replaced with Pulse Beams. I assume this type of thing would be closesly tied to the currency question, as it would be another way around it, and I can see where storage space for all the saved modded ships could be too large and expensive. Clearly, even a saved mod of each ship type would be too large. However, even one or two total slots for saved mods would be greatly beneficial.

I gathered that this MIGHT be similar to what was hinted at for the future beyond 1.482, but just in case I was wrong in my interpretation, I thought it wisest to ask.

Email Danek Ma`arna C`arns
Custom
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-05 19:14   
Quote:

On 2004-04-05 15:53, moghedan wrote:

First, what purpose does currency serve? Buying ships, as far as I can tell, costs nothing in currency, but it does in materials. Only things bought in the starport, mods and materials, seem to have any currency value. Does this not make currency an unneeded feature? The stated goal of 1.482 will make all pieces equally valuable in certain situations. WIll this, when combined with the materials requirement to produce ships or components not be enough limitation? Or am I missing a point in my thoughts, which is likely?

Currency, at the moment only serves in the purpose of modding/Upgrading your ships systems. IE: weapons, sheilds etc...

Quote:

I assume currency is intended to make extrator type ships valued, but, even new as I am, figured out that meant finding a Urdanium planet, hitting O, then G. Target the spaceport, and you do not even have to look up from your book to press just press the U Key. I also quickly thought of another way. It makes cash VERY fast, and drains a planet of its reasources VERY fast. I did not try it, because I assumed it to be an exploit, but it did make me consider that currency was perhaps a remnant no longer needed. If Currency carries over between servers, I cannot even find a downside to this exploit.

Nope, not an exploit. if you want to mine all day thats your business. But as it is now the Extractor is only good in a few situations, IE: kluth ecm boats.. and on secenario servers for actual mining..

Quote:

Another question, what would be the chances of being able to "build" a modded ship in the ship select screen, and then save the ship mod to a quickslot. I would assume it would be "home" tech only, other faction tech, like an ICC ship with a disruptor, would have to be the old system. In this way, a player in a shipyard screen could select either one of the default Heavy Cruiser as they are now, or a quickslot Heavy Cruiser that has the CL550s replaced with Pulse Beams. I assume this type of thing would be closesly tied to the currency question, as it would be another way around it, and I can see where storage space for all the saved modded ships could be too large and expensive. Clearly, even a saved mod of each ship type would be too large. However, even one or two total slots for saved mods would be greatly beneficial.

I gathered that this MIGHT be similar to what was hinted at for the future beyond 1.482, but just in case I was wrong in my interpretation, I thought it wisest to ask.

Good idea, although this would be probably a long long long time away from being realized in any way shape or form..

The good thing about this game is that there is alot of unrealized potential but the bad side is that there is only so much that "they" can do with so little, but what they do with what they got is very nice. /me tips hat to Palestar crew..

[ This Message was edited by: Custom on 2004-04-05 19:16 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-05 21:19   
Quote:

and drains a planet of its reasources VERY fast.

last i checked, planets have a pretty near limitless supply of whatever res they naturally have (could put as many mines on as you can fit and the stockpiles keep getting bigger), and when a extractor is used in its extracting capacity, its basically a orbital mining platform, and draws from the same infinite res pool as the surface mines do
buy i could be wrong

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 02:32   
Quote:

On 2004-04-05 21:19, Doran wrote:
Quote:

and drains a planet of its reasources VERY fast.

last i checked, planets have a pretty near limitless supply of whatever res they naturally have (could put as many mines on as you can fit and the stockpiles keep getting bigger), and when a extractor is used in its extracting capacity, its basically a orbital mining platform, and draws from the same infinite res pool as the surface mines do

Extractors Do Not "Use up" planet resources.
Resources are unlimited, anything you drop at a starport will be added to the Planets "Mined Resources" pile. These resources can be used to build things on the planet.

Resources that have not been mined yet have to be mined by planet mines or extractors first.

Hope that helped

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Page created in 0.027973 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR