No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +12.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Metaverse 1.481: Human Quadrant Discussion
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Metaverse 1.481: Human Quadrant Discussion
Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:46   
Ok, Its been up for awhile now, and I have gotten a chance to get most of the "bugs" fixed...I would like to get some feedback on "Phase 1" of this Metaverse concept. (There are a few more phases planned for future implimentation) Please post any bugs you find and I will try to see if I can get them fixed.

Current things I have on my list:

1) Fix orbits
2) Space out Clusters due to Shipyards

I would also like to know what you think about the design, and placement of systems. Comments/Suggestions are welcome!

Also, just to note, since I have been getting this question: Yes, All the maps entered in the Map Contest will eventually be entered into the Metaverse over time, not just the winners... (They may, however, have gone through extensive re-design to fit our current MV Concept, but we will try to keep the maps in tact as much as possible.) Also, if you would like to submit updates for your maps that were entered into the Map Contest, Please feel free to do so, I will be putting up a thread in the near future for this purpose.

Please ONLY post bugs that have to do with planet placements, spelling mistakes of planets/stars/jumpgates, system orbital problems, shipyard problems with clusters after its fixed, etc. I can only deal with map-related issues.

- |2eason -

[ This Message was edited by: Reason on 2004-04-06 09:51 ]

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:49   
Suggestion.

Right now the Systems are a bit lined up there is no REAL back system anymore no safe haven if all goes bad.

In 1480 ICC had Kapteyns star if you remember the old MV
my suggestion is get some back system clusters just like you did in the middle of the MV

- Axi

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:51   
An overall more realistic approach to Star System building would certainly not hurt anyone.

Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:53   
I will try to come up with a map to show the next Phase implimentation, right now we are going to keep the system numbers where they are so it doesn't increase the lag issues.

Reason
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:56   
Quote:
An overall more realistic approach to Star System building would certainly not hurt anyone.

This is something that will come down the road in the economics patch...

If I answered the wrong question, please be more descriptive with your comment,

- |2eason -

Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 09:58   
i assume fixing orbits means fixing the planets that are moving too fast to escape orbit w/o hitting them hehe. other than that, the map is quite interesting, albeit maybe a bit too big for the current playerbase (imo).

also, some systems are completely devoid of certain resources, if this is on purpose, it adds a nice twist to the resource management scheme of things, however w/ the current "no-transport" starports, it kinda makes the whole "blockade" thing less .. impactful.

i'd vote for a slightly reduced MV size if we could bring back the AI transports so that when we interdict a shipping lane, we get real results/rewards from pirating the enemy's resource shipping.

(i found pirating a shipping lane very fun and rewarding).

i was saddened by the removal of the AI transports due to the amounts of lag caused by the increased number of starports/AI/etc.

Also, is it possible to consider moving the Jumpgates closer into the systems, it currently costs sometimes up to 25% of your jump fuel just to get from the JG to a planet, if you're raiding someone, you spend a significant portion of your jump fuel to arrive at your destination, leaving almost none to get home... (thats for those of us w/o stations or jump cruisers for convenient wormholes)

anyhow, fun map, more of an engineer's heaven, but i think its being a bit of a hindrance to game play because there's too many clusters per system... even w/o major resistance(player resistance) it took 4 or 5 hours to finish capping off 1/3 of a system because the clusters were so far spread around... but thats just my opinion..

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-04-06 10:04   
Well, of course we all know there's too many planet clusters. The dreaded Umbrella cluster comes to mind.

The 'hidden' systems have some strange properties too. First, they're closer to Kluth and UGTO space than they are ICC. Second, they're visible on the nav screen due to the jumpgate lines and nebulae when they should be invisible (I knew they were there as a Kluth just by seeing the jumpgate lines). Hidden systems should be 100% hidden until your faction can click the star (however that's determined). No clues whatsoever on the nav screen.

The older, smaller map I think was laid out very well. We had 3 middle systems, a few home systems, and nothing hidden-yet-visible. The middle systems seemed fairly spaced, and after Sol was moved, the home systems were fair.

I'd like to see the new map's middle systems really in the middle, any hidden systems containing your faction's planets visible on the nav screen, and any NOT containing your planets not visible. (I really don't know how it's supposed to work currenty but it seems broken to me)

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-06 12:14   
|2eason,

First off, love the map. Love the new systems. The whole thing is fine, no need to change anything...but since you asked:

1. Jump Gates: the first 1.481 had Jumpgates set up in easy to get to spots. Kind of like transit points. Exit one, the next one is within a few 1k gu. Easy to defend, as they tended to be close, but not too close, to clusters. This makes more sense than having them at the edge of a system...though I can see the benefit of having Jump gates at the fringes.

2. Back-systems. Its been said already, just agreeing with the others. The 1.480 faction area was shaped like a tad-pole. There were just places, Groombridge, Kaptyn's etc., that just...out of the way...safe.

3. More Stars, hidden systems that stay hidden and things just out in the middle of no where.

4. My only real request: Uncappable, or limited buildable planets. There should be 10 of these to every one fully 32 structured planets. Not more planets, less 32 structured ones. A planet that only has 5 diamonds on it
...some that only have 10...

This would make Real mining planets...Depot Planets...Places that have plenty of reasons to own, maybe even to visit, but never to Live on! . Its just inconceiable that we would wish to live and breed on every single non-molten rock in the galaxy.

Other than that: Perfect!

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 12:28   
I can't possibly be the only Person who wishes for a Map Layout that promotes both Gameplay and a realistic Feeling?

I'm sorry to say it, but i have severe Problems with Constructs like
- Umbrella
- Almost all of Nicea, come to think about it.
- Critium A and B
- Willams B and its orbitting Objects

.. The list goes on.

IMHO any offical Map should try to respect at least the most generic aspects of Newtonian Physics and Planet Formation.

Nature also is not Uniform; a little Varity in Orbit Distances and Planet types per Cluster would not hurt.

Over all, i am relatively unhappy with some of the new Maps in those regards.

Quinsisdos^4
Vice Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-06 14:15   
Newtonian Physics? Next you're gonna want them to remove jump drives (Or increase the speed of light, like Futurama did)

Seriously though, we live in an odd universe, if a system forms that way, then theres probably a strange explination behind it (Odd gravitational anamolies), our laws of physics are NOT universal (At least in theory, look at singularities)

-=We Are GTN, You Will Be Fluxed, Resistance is Mandatory=-

Email Quinsisdos^4   Goto the website of Quinsisdos^4
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 14:30   
Uhh Quin..

*plonk*

Thats almost worth a golden GothThug i think..

Quinsisdos^4
Vice Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-06 15:24   
How exactly, you're obviously promoting yourself as a person who likes newtonian physics, but since practically everything else in DS violates Newtonian physics, why not just leave those "odd" planets as they are?

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 15:42   
You dont really expect me to explain you how Planets do not

- Have Jump Drives (Since you are so obsessed with shooting at my reference to Newton)
- Form in nfity Geometric Patterns
- Fly around in absurdly eccentric Orbits in Orbit of an absurdely eccentrically orbitting other Object
- Fly around in Orbits crossing right trough large stellar Objects
- Form in nifty little Clusters of 2 Medium Terrans Orbiting.. a Medium Terran (and thats still one of the more harmless cases)

etcpp..

Bad_Skeelz
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-06 15:42   
I think it has been aptly demonstrated in the past the DarkSpace and [pompousness]Newtonian Phyiscs[/pompousness] are two mutually excluding topics. If DS was really in align with physics, we probably wouldn't have tachyon drives, photon cannons, shields, torpedos, in fact 9 out of 10 technologies we have now. And lets not even get into wormholes...

I also think gameplay and realism are mutually excluding as well. For example, lets take Sol and it's closest neighbor, Alpha Centauri (note: I am going off of information several years old so this probably isn't accurate. Bare with me.). Traveling at light speed, it would take about 4 years to travel to Alpha Centauri from the Sol System. Although Tachyon Drives go faster than light (which depending on who you ask is also an impossibility) it would still take a bloody long time to get anywere.

In closing, I think your being a little to prissy about realism in the planet and system layouts. Of course, I'm just a simple player so this in no means reflects the attitudes of the DS staff. God help us if they accept your view and make the MV realistic though....

-Excerpt from Vice Admiral Skeelz's court-martial regarding the malignant boiling and eating of K'luth prisoners of war.

Email Bad_Skeelz
Quinsisdos^4
Vice Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-06 15:56   
Quote:

On 2004-04-06 15:42, Bad_Skeelz(Looking for Faustus) wrote:
I think it has been aptly demonstrated in the past the DarkSpace and [pompousness]Newtonian Phyiscs[/pompousness] are two mutually excluding topics. If DS was really in align with physics, we probably wouldn't have tachyon drives, photon cannons, shields, torpedos, in fact 9 out of 10 technologies we have now. And lets not even get into wormholes...

I also think gameplay and realism are mutually excluding as well. For example, lets take Sol and it's closest neighbor, Alpha Centauri (note: I am going off of information several years old so this probably isn't accurate. Bare with me.). Traveling at light speed, it would take about 4 years to travel to Alpha Centauri from the Sol System. Although Tachyon Drives go faster than light (which depending on who you ask is also an impossibility) it would still take a bloody long time to get anywere.

In closing, I think your being a little to prissy about realism in the planet and system layouts. Of course, I'm just a simple player so this in no means reflects the attitudes of the DS staff. God help us if they accept your view and make the MV realistic though....

Which is what I was trying to say, except with less words...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031092 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR