No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Ship Designs
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Ship Designs
USS Brett A. Scott
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-06 17:40   
I have not been on DS very long but it seems that the ships havent changed much, try some new designs for the frigate, scout, cruiser and dread, and for the GA's a Battleship class. that might please the GA's a little, you never know.

Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-06 17:40   
That's what 1.482 is for....

Admiral Xeodia
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 13:01   
i would like to see a BB class, tho im nat a GA. It would be cool. BTW, how old are u Sovereign, really, pokemon? got over that stuff when i was in grade 6. I'm now in grade 12.

Email Admiral Xeodia
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 13:10   
Actually, the current ship models are pretyt cool, and innovative, look at the complexity of a mere battle cruiser, all those intricate overlapping hull sections.

The ICC models could use some serious touching up though... Specifically the M300 dreadnought class, The engine pods, center nose cone, and rear dorsal fins are all off-center... and there isa graphics glitch if you view the rear engine pod from above.

Also the combat dread clearly deserves a model fo it's own to seperate it from all the decent dreadnoughts

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-22 14:39   
All of the models in DS are schedualed for a severe overhaul, starting with the ICC which need it the most.

I still don't see a point to a "battleship" class. We have dreadnoughts...that's what they're there for. Irrelevant to add a capitol ship above our alread determined "top capitol ship." Only circumstance I would see a larger fleet command ship coming about would be if the game inherintly limited their number to very few in play. Our game system does not support such limitations. Till then, adding another level of capitol ship simply obliterates all form of balance we are striving for, before it's even in testing, and furthers a situation where ships below it's class (dreadnought class) are useless. This process of rendering devices and ship classes useless is counter to a propperly designed and run online persistant game. Since that's what we are striving for, all things must take that into account.

Sorry, but I find the presence of a "battleship" class to not only be pointless, but also counter to good game design.

Email Gideon
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-22 15:19   
So Gid, what your saying here is that the ships are getting some new designs for when the next patch comes out or something? Or is this a little later down the road?

Email UnknownWarrior
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-04-22 15:26   
they are gonna add more personalization...if thats still the plan..

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-04-22 15:40   
Basicly thats what Gids saying. Personaly I look at it this way. First were going to see the Expansion of other things, like orbitals, asteroid bases, hidden places, and better NPCs. Then we will see Balances between factions and Ship rolls worked out. After all that, we will see more ships filled in from the bottom up. Hopefully, If all you out there in DS LAND see that DS is the Shiznit and all your friends will hopefully suscribe..we may just have enough people to get a fourth faction

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 15:45   
Quote:

On 2004-04-22 14:39, Gideon wrote:
All of the models in DS are schedualed for a severe overhaul, starting with the ICC which need it the most.

I still don't see a point to a "battleship" class. We have dreadnoughts...that's what they're there for. Irrelevant to add a capitol ship above our alread determined "top capitol ship." Only circumstance I would see a larger fleet command ship coming about would be if the game inherintly limited their number to very few in play. Our game system does not support such limitations. Till then, adding another level of capitol ship simply obliterates all form of balance we are striving for, before it's even in testing, and furthers a situation where ships below it's class (dreadnought class) are useless. This process of rendering devices and ship classes useless is counter to a propperly designed and run online persistant game. Since that's what we are striving for, all things must take that into account.

Sorry, but I find the presence of a "battleship" class to not only be pointless, but also counter to good game design.

Well why have a Grand Admiral rank if ur not gonna have a even bigger ship for them........perhaps they can be flagships...like for instance the federation in star trek has the enterprise as its flag. dreads would be the slightly smaller D- class like in trek and the larger E-class ships (or flag ships) would be for the Grand Admirals......

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-04-22 15:56   
i WOULD like to see a NEW battleship class ship, more powerful than a Crusier in treams of weapons or defence. Yet weaker than the Dreads in both areas. like something like this here.

example Battle ship with heavy offence weaker defence ICC

4 Rail cannons full, 6 F torps full, 4 pluse beams
2 sheilds full, 2 heavy armor front , rear
3 ion drives, one tacheyon drive

a UGTO version

3 plasma cannons 1 emp cannon full, 6 proton torps full 2 fore flux beams.
3 heavy armor 1 full, rear, fore
3 ion drives 1 tach drive

a K'luth verson

6 Disrupters full, 4 am trops
2 heavy armor full
3 ion drives , 1 tach drive

I'm not too good with both theUGTO and K'luth so if they seam underpowered let me know and sugestid a repalcement ship.

Also I would like to have a contest to draw some of the new ships that will come to DarkSpace. As i have some in the making right now, manly possable ICC and UGTO ships as i have not came up with a good bug like design just yet

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-22 17:17   
We have the GA class for...well...because F wanted to put it in, but didn't have any real plan for it.

So, we're gonna try and shift towards giving higher ranking players more authority over the in-game environment...if that makes any sense. At any rate, if we include a fleet command ship later, GA rank would be but one of several requirements for it. These requirements would, in effect, also prevent every single GA from getting this ship. This, in turn, would limit the number in game. No, the additional requirements are not going to be locked to certain people, and yes, anyone could get them through sufficient effort. However, the dynmaics of the system would still enforce that only so many can exist in the game at a time. If someone were to earn the right, that means that someone else would have to lose the right. Can we say competition? And, no, the system is planned to be such that, performing tasks to sabotage another players ability to advance in this area would be sabotaging your faction's ability to advance, which would in turn actually HURT your ability to advance in this area. Basically, it will all be geard around whoever busts their hump enough for their faction. Oh, and switching factions would take you down to nothing again, so this would only apply to those who are loyal to their factions.

At any rate, the model changes would be a complete redesign of most, if not all, models in the game. Our current models are extremely inefficient in their use of polygons and textures, and we feel we can get more performance out of the client side, while actually upgrading the visual impact of the game.

Email Gideon
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 17:39   
umm....... how long till the new ship models??

like dont say next patch i mean, how many weeks/days till then?? if there is a date that is

Email Meko
Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-22 17:48   
Quote:

On 2004-04-22 13:01, Admiral Xeodia wrote:
i would like to see a BB class, tho im nat a GA. It would be cool. BTW, how old are u Sovereign, really, pokemon? got over that stuff when i was in grade 6. I'm now in grade 12.

heheh, I saw the commercial for the pokemon game and thought it was really annoying.

Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-22 17:52   
actualy the enterprise e isnt the largest ship the largest ship the federation had galaxy class are still quite larger than the new sovereign class ships its just sovereign were designed for fighting unlike pretty much everything else the federation has.

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

From the ashes of Earth we rise like a pheonix spreading our wings

Email Astral Viper
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-04-22 18:09   
*Gideon slips into geek mode...*

The sovreign class starship is a bit longer than a galaxy class starship. However, it posseses significantly shorter beam and draft lengths than a galaxy class. Due to this, it actually has significantly less mass than a galaxy class starship.

So, it could be seen as both larger (longer) and smaller (less beam, draft, and mass).

Email Gideon
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027136 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR